THS dog bone mount

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Well I've justed swapped my poly bushed dog bone mount for the THS version and all i can say is WOW!

I never really got on with the powerflex one, always annoyed me with the low rev vibrations and before anyone says anything it was torqued up correctly :p

When i fired up the engine after fitting it was like a breath of fresh air. no vibrating through the wheel and seems to of tightened the feeling of the gearbox even more than the powerflex one. I took for a spin and there's no wheel hop at all.

Most impressed :D

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Glad to see they are worth it, but my vibration isnt that bad with just bushes
Will be getting the full set of mounts from INA when funds allow

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
I got a THS TIP and DBM a few months back for £110 inclusive of postage for my LC.

I think the THS DBM has made a difference but I still get wheel spin, it just smooth wheel spin now wit no wheel hop/bounce. Although if I apply the power there is much less wheel spin full stop.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Yeah, you'll still get wheel spin if you accelerate hard from a standstill - as you say it's really about stopping wheel-hop due to the engine movement. You should also notice better responsiveness from the engine as rather than swaying about, the energy is directed to the wheels.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Yeah I think there is less bonet lift when you accelerate, thus it does feel like it pulls slightly better. What torque setting did you use for the bolt through the rubber bush. I think I used 20lb-ft. That was only a small adjustment to the setting THS sent it out with.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
INA delivered it already assembled so I didn't touch it. Was just a case of removing the old one and replacing with the new one...

I get a little bit of squatting with my car (it does have 270hp to contend with), but nothing major. In fact squatting and diving under braking are probably the worst things with the OE suspension really. Bodyroll isn't too bad - I may get some better ARBs but wouldn't want to affect the neutral handling I have atm...

vee_dub_modder

Volkswagen racing tech-pt
Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
Im running the full mount set by THS Performance -- a massive improvement over standard, better off the line and no wheel hop! one of the best mods i've done by far.
also got their short shifter kit! also a good buy and cheaper then the forge equivilant! suggest you check them out!

infact they also do a good fmic kit too!

mounts are an easy fit. even a novis can put them in in a couple of hours!

anyone needing a hand/advice on any the above then just pm me, i'm running the lot at the min :)

vee_dub_modder

Volkswagen racing tech-pt
Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
right before we start you will need some new engine mount bolts as they're stretch bolts (use once only)
also before we start, remember safety first!!

Jack the car up using the correct jacking points and support the vehicle on a pair of axel stands (your going to need the jack later)

the Gog bone mount is soooooo easy. from under the vehicle its easy to see the 4 bolts holding it in place. simply undo and replace with new! (simple!)

the rear mount (gearbox end) is also straight forward. at this point it may be an idea to slacken the exhaust somewhere (or remove) as this job will put some load on the exhaust flexy joint! you might get away with it mind but you have been warned!

clear away anything covering the 5 mounting bolts (2x to the gearbox, 2x to the chassis and 1 misc one that hides under the wiring loom cover)

remove airbox (if fitted) to gain access to these bolts. 3 bolts will be obscured by the wiring loom ducting. simply unclip the cover to gain access.

support the engine with your trolley jack and a block of wood. undo the bolts (a magnet may help you remove these)
now SLOWLY lower the rear of the engine untill you have the space to remove the engine mount cleanly.
Fitting is the reversal of this and please remember to torque the bolts up correctly (i dont know torque settings sorry) -- RFT will do.

the front mount is located under the power steering resivior.
this is located with 2 bolts (poss hex head i think) remove this first but dont disconnect the pipes!
nowremove all other pipework obstructing the removal of the mount (2x fuel and 1 water) and you may need to remove the headder tank as well.

you should now clearly be able to see the mount bolts. again support the engine with a jack and block of wood.
remove the mount bolts and lower the engine as necessary.
fitting is the reversal of this (again Torques unknown)

make sure everythign is tight, your exhaust is back in situ and let the fuel pump prime before starting and your away.

was very impressed with the results myself!

any questions (and not what are the torque settings lol)

Litago

Hi there,

Been thinking about changeing dogbone for a while, but I've got a TDI. So been abit afraid to change it becouse of the vibration. This THS dogbone seems to be better than the others (like Powerflex) when it comes to vibration. So my question is, anyone tried the THS dogbone on a TDI?

Also, from what I've been reading, it seems that the vibration is heavy at the first when changed the dogbone, but it setles after driving abit?

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
I'm tempted to drop on a set of THS engine mounts in a few months, did my cambelt today and couldnt believe how easy it is to move the stock right hand engine mount around, no wonder the engine bounces around so bad

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.