AdamR666

Oct 16, 2018
Hi All

I have owned since this January a 2011 Leon FR 211, just done 40k miles. I've just noticed that when i take my foot off the accelerator, there is a clicking/ rattling noise like the noise you get from a push bike when you stop peddling. The noise stops again when i accelerate or even stop and apart from the noise is running fine. I'm not very mechanical, a friend thinks its something to do with the timing chain and suggested I join up here and ask if this is something you lovely lot know about? Firstly is this serious, do I need to get it into a garage asap? Secondly is this a common problem and any ideas of costs to get fixed, if it needs to?

Thanks

Adam

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Does it make the noise when you've got the clutch down? Hard to diagnose a noise over words LOL. But yeah, if it is the timing chain you need to get it sorted. It's common for the tensioner to weaken and fail. If it is that, it won't be cheap... few hundred maybe.

Edwin Mattox

Oct 13, 2018
Hi it hasn't got a timing chain, it's a timing belt on a Leon

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

AdamR666

Oct 16, 2018
Does it make the noise when you've got the clutch down? Hard to diagnose a noise over words LOL. But yeah, if it is the timing chain you need to get it sorted. It's common for the tensioner to weaken and fail. If it is that, it won't be cheap... few hundred maybe.
When I press the clutch when i'm moving the noise gos. it also stops when i come to a halt. i can also only hear the noise if i have my window down.

Any ideas?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The flywheel makes like a chattering sound when it's knackered. I can hear mine when I turn the engine off (if the windows down and the clutch is up).

AdamR666

Oct 16, 2018
The flywheel makes like a chattering sound when it's knackered. I can hear mine when I turn the engine off (if the windows down and the clutch is up).
Chattering sound is a great description!

is this something that needs sorting asap and any ideas of cost?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'd get it checked out to confirm it is the flywheel. Cost would likely be around the 100ish mark for the flywheel. But likely 4.5ish hours of labour to fit it.