Timing Chain Snapped - Out of Warranty

Lordy

Letter went to Watchdog last week, waiting for a reply. I think it would be a great idea if everyone wrote to them then maybe we can forse SEAT to address the problem. will let you know the outcome of my letter!

Kevin0407

Hi Lordy,

Good idea, will write to them as well. If you can let us know any response I will do the same.

tdi_chris

2012 Leon 1.2 Tsi Copa SE
Apr 6, 2007
West Bromwich
www.myspace.com
I have a 1.4tdi and I notice that this problem occurs on the 1.2 3cylinder petrol but the 1.4tdi is a 3cylinder too so should I be worried about my car? I have occurred as of last night a rattle noise coming from the engine :s

Oracle9I

I suspect that its a Belt not a chain, as on my wifes VW Gold 1.9tdi its a belt . I would ring Seat service and ask them the question.

Oracle9I

mosheff

Hi All
We have a 2004 Ibiza the timing chain came off and one morning the car wouldnt start .I rang Seat customer service and they asked us to take it to the Main dealer in Chesterfield . Seat agreed to pay for the parts we paid labour they replaced some parts and our bill came to £816 .We took the car home two weeks later we had an oil problem and broke down on a motorway at 9pm had to sit on the hard shoulder in the pouring rain for half an hour till the engine cooled down .Took it back to Chesterfield Autoworld and they now say the first repairs havent fixed it it needs a recon engine costing over 2 grand !! This is on top of the £815 we have already spent and god knows what we owe them for the privilage of telling us their first repair was useless ! Seat say they wont help with the cost .Its done 45.000 miles . What do we do Scrap it !?? If people are complaining to watchdog count us in !

Last edited by a moderator:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I would think that this is a job for the consumer protection folk. If a main dealer has repaired your car then that repair work and parts MUST carry some form of warranty. I'd enquire about that situation first from Seat customer services - both halves of the repair PARTS and LABOUR. The fact that Seat UK decided to go 50-50 with you ie parts they pay - labour you pay should, as it seems that Seat are conceding that their design wa partly to blame - and I'm sure this is why they helped you and not just a "good faith" payment - should not make any differance at all. In fact as a consumer, you might take the view that they have saved themselves a fortune by carrying out this repair in this way - ie by supplying the parts at their cost, your garage is left to foot the re-build bill - or you at worst. I've always thought that if I ever ended up in this situation, it would be best to fight them from day one and lay down a set of rules that agrees to the manufacturer contributing to the total job cost - and not just squeaking out by paying for the parts - and then saying "well we did our bit" - "you're on your own now". Unfortunately you now need to buy a run about until this is cleared up and probably talk to the consumer protection people as you were sold this service (the repair labour) with some form of invisible limited liability - ie warranted workmanship.

This sort of thing, if all the facts are true and clear, is what should force UK car buyers to gang up and trash VAG all the way out of UK - other countries can do their own thing.

For anyone that has had only good service from VAG products and franchised services, you may think that this statement is grossly unfair - but just wait until it happens to you - remember in a world of free trading and free competion, a company is only as good as its worst action! Just like we are all judged by banks and employers etc.

I'd be amazed if Seat UK or VAG really want you to end up in this situation if you have not contributed to being the partial or complete cause of this. Maybe you need to talk first to the repairing main dealer - it was a Seat dealer I assume, I'd start with the service manager followed by the dealer principle, then pass all correspondance to Seat UK as that is where this action should end in the VAG UK network. After giving them adequate time (see consummer protection folk for a definition of this), I'd talk to the papers - they might like this story, but make sure you have all your facts and be honest completely as you will only have one shot of getting their support. Are you in any of the big motoring organisations?

By the way watchdog etc are only interested to making a good story - you would need at least a couple of hundred signed statements from Seat, Skoda and VW owners of cars that use this engine and have had similar experiences to make an impact to impress watchdog.

Last edited:

mosheff

Hi Iv spoken to Auto world they argue its not a known common fault .He says he will talk to Seat and try to get them to accept some of the cost . Ill walk away from the car before I pay much more Idealy Id like my £815 back and Id put it to another car . We are members of Green Flag .

mosheff

They are even saying it could have been caused by using the wrong oil ! Its been regularly serviced all the time we have had it Three years .

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
1)Green Flag - I don't know if they offer any technical/legal help in this sort of situation - phone them and see or check your membership conditions (but I would doubt it).

2)Using the wrong oil, were you servicing it yourselves or getting an indep garage to service it, or was Seat servicing it. If it was you or an independant garage then they might have an "escape route" - it depends how much time you want to throw at righting this wrong, if you have the money and the time, you can always buy a run about and take up persueing this repair as a pass time - I don't mean to be flippant, but you should prepare for a long haul. The small "man" will always get trampled by the big guys, especially if you did not keep the car in the Seat service loop and have no big guns (RAC or AA) working for you. But hey, nothing ventured nothing gained - look on it as a challenge! It will make you or break you, take care and good luck!

On a fional note, I've found in the past that RAC and AA can also be impotent and just give the standard "talk to your local dealer" - and no they don't have anyone at the end of a phone line that can help you on legal and technical matters.

That reminds me, when I phoned up AA to renew my membership they wanted to sell me "repair insurance" for £50 a year - pity it was not you that had been asked that question and if you said YES then you could have been okay and someone else would have been left to fight!

mosheff

It was a mechanic in centre off sheffield who has been servicing it no idea which oil he's been using but they are getting desperate trying to blame the oil ! Im going to chat to citizens advice tomorrow see if they can give me any advice and I will chat to trading standards as well The AA repair insurance sounds ok Ill have a look at that for future problems.

Lordy

I wrote to watchdog regarding my timing chain and they have it on file. If enough of us write in with the same problem then they might then follow it up! I think it's shocking that they know about the fault and refuse to do anything about it! GOOD LUCK!!!

mosheff

I will write to them . Did you go to small claims court with yours ?

Lordy

Couldn't find proof that SEAT know about the fault. If I can get this proof then I will go to the courts. They must know about it as they now issue a modified replacement part.

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
i really hope this doesnt happen to mine, i dont really fancy forking out ?1000+

i'm getting a few new parts fitted soon, i'll have to get the chain looked at just in case
________
Vaporizer

Last edited:

mosheff

I rang trading standards and they say the sale of goods act cover extends for six years on an item .If someone has bought theirs from a Seat dealer and you can prove it was a known fault then you could try that route .Does anyone have any proof ?

wigjonnyp

First post, I didn't want to start a new thread so thought i'd put it in her.

Basically my 02 seat ibiza timing chain snapped last week. It's been in the garage and they have fixed it today at the cost of £750 inc vat, that did include pick up recovery etc

When the lad who owns the garage rang me he said that basically a couple of the valves have been damaged in the process, now to get this fixed it will probably cost another £700

I said I don't want to fork out again obviously, and he said it will still run ok, maybe rev and chug a bit

My question is this

If I do not get the valves strightened will my car keep running? Will it cause further damage to the car? Is this normal when the timing chain brakes?

Any help or answers are greatly appreciated

Thanks very much in advance

Jon

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Yes bent valves are normal when the chain slipps or fails.

If valves are bent or damaged they probably will not close/seal properly and the valve seats will burn out, this will result in low compression, low power, low mpg and poor starting.

If it runs OK that's good but if not I would sell it

wigjonnyp

Yes bent valves are normal when the chain slipps or fails.

If valves are bent or damaged they probably will not close/seal properly and the valve seats will burn out, this will result in low compression, low power, low mpg and poor starting.

If it runs OK that's good but if not I would sell it

Cheers mate

If it dosn't run properly then surely no one will buy it or do you mean sell it before it gets any worse?

Will it get worse and run worse as time goes on?

Thanks Jon

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members