Towbar Wiring - Problems! Help!

philjc99

Jul 20, 2009
Sleaford, Lincolnshire
Hi guys, recently bought my Mk1 Leon Sx TDi and it came with a tow bar. I wasn't to bothered because from the lads on here i've spoken to it didnt seem much of an issue. But today when i started to have a quick look and the wiring to see how it was done, i think i may be having a few problems. However i know precious little about wiring so it might not be an issue at all. Below is a link to my photobucket page, as im not allowed to post photo's on the treads. The wiring pics are at the bottom of the first page and the second page. The tow bar wire is the thick black one at the bottom and the standard wiring to the lights is the one with the tape not fully around it.

It would be greatly appreciated if some of you guys could just have a quick look at the pics and give me a bit of advice.

http://s672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88/philjc88/

Thanks
Phil

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
7 core cable wiring to a standard socket is 10 a penny so don't panic on the tow bar side too much

just clean out the tape so you can see the connections made

most of them look like they are bodgelocked in to the originals so should be easy enough, but note most scotch locks cut the insulation so do one wire at a time and make sure its insulated or at worst re-joined

philjc99

Jul 20, 2009
Sleaford, Lincolnshire
ok mate thanks. Its been done the way i hoped, with the wires in those boxes, just thought when i got round to sorting it out, it'd be a hell of alot neater than than, in one big box. But i pulled it all out and was such a mess. Those pics were after i'd already taken one lot of tape of. Is it just a case of taking out the tow bar wires and rejoining the old wiring back together or insulating the ends?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
pretty much ye as they are designed to fit in line with the original wiring

patience and a logical step one by one will see you good

pretty much only 7 or so to deal with :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.