Toyo Proxes

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Hi guys,

I need to replace all four tyres on my LCR210 as they're all getting low and the grip is just gone. A few guys at work recommended Toyo Proxes, but when I looked I realised that there are loads of different ones, such as:

• Proxes T1-R
  • Proxes T1-S
  • Proxes 4
  • Proxes CF1
  • Proxes R888

I don't know which I'm best off to get, if any. I can't afford to spend a fortune on tyres, but I need something good. I won't stick bargain-basement crap on, just to save some pennies. I drive in all weather, mostly local A roads but occasionally I have to run down from Mansfield to Hemel Hempstead on the M1. I don't tend to hang around either :D

BTW, the car came to me with Vredestein Ultrac Sesanta's on the rear, and miscellaneous tyres on the front (they're really really bad!) and three of the four had less than 3mm tread when the car got a 'health-check' a couple of months back, hence why I'm just going to do the lot

Tips are gratefully received

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
As above really, the T1- R are awesome tires, has them on my BMW and they were ubber grippy in the dry and in the wet. Can't comment on the wear rate as I got the LCR shortly after. I currently have the falkens and they seem to do the job, great value for money. All though they could do with being a little more grippier on the wet. Buy the best tires you can afford, have you considered the eagle f1's, a little bit more money but the they are the top of their class.

I'd recommend camskills.co.uk and blackcircles.co.uk. They're the cheapest place bar none.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I did consider the F1s, yes, but they seemed excessive for my needs. If I was made of cash then I'd go for them, but unfortunately I'm not.

Regarding mileage; bear in mind that this is my first car, as I've always had bikes. Replacing a rear-tyre every 3-4000 miles at over £100 a pop, and the front lasted about twice as long. Getting 10,000 miles out of tyres that cost <£100 is perfectly acceptable in my book!

I'll take a look at these tyre websites. I assume that tyre fitters don't mind if you turn up with a set of tyres and just get them to fit/balance then?

Super_Cupra_7

Mar 12, 2007
Dunfermline, Scotland
Hey mate,

Have a look at http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127902

I cannot fault the Toyo Proxe T1-R's for overall value. They offer excellent grip in both dry and wet conditions. The ride quality is not effected in anyway. The only drawback is that they don't last as long as other tyres.
I have had them on my car the last few times and get around 8,000 - 10,000 from the fronts and 18,000 from the rears.
The Toyo's can be picked up for a SPECIAL OFFER of £80.50 inc.VAT from Camskill.

If money is an issue, you should try the Falken FK452's out. They offer really good value for money (£62.95 inc.VAT). They are not as grippy as the Toyo's but do last longer.

P.s. I drive a remapped Cupra R 225. I would choose the Toyo's 1st, but the Falkens dont fall too far behind.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Just looking on the BlackCircles website, I selected to have the tyres fitted, and it recommended these:

• Yokohama S306 £99.53
  • Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 £107.38
  • Yokohama Parada Spec 2 £108.61
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 £112.78
  • Toyo Proxes T1-R £114.49
  • Continental Sport Contact 3 £131.37
  • Continental Sport Contact 3 (Mercedes) £137.30
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 2 £143.67
  • Michelin Pilot Sport (Porsche N3) £157.03
  • Michelin Pilot Sport £157.78
  • Michelin Pilot Sport (BMW) £158.29
  • Michelin Pilot Sport (Porsche N1) £164.22
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Zero Pressure £228.92
I was all ready to order the T1-R until I saw the price of the F1s, and now I'm unsure. I also see that one of their fitters is a company not far from where I work, which could be perfect

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
If i was you i would go into a good local tire fitters and see if you they can match the price you've been quoted on the tinternet... that’s what i did and i managed to get a better price than on blackcircle. I may have a lied a little about the price but it worked, well worth a try IMO. ;- )

If you do buy through blackcircle you can pay extra to have them fitted.... they give you a list of garages with which they have an alliance. Alternately you could just take then tires into a garage and ask then to fit then for you. As a ballpark figure you shouldn’t pay any more than £15 per tire.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Just had a quote from a local tyre shop for £103 for the F1s and £107 for the T1-Rs. That's Mick's Tyres in Mansfield. They were recommended by a friend who takes his Racing Puma in there whenever it needs new tyres. £103 for the F1s is only £7 more than BlackCircles deliver for, so I think that's a pretty good price.

So, the question is, F1s or T1-Rs???

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Stick with the Vredestein Ultrac Sesanta's mate.. awesome awesome tyre! I have used these on the road, on dry track days and for 11 horrendously wet laps at the 'ring.. They are simply brilliant in all weather conditions!

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I don't have an issue with them, though they seem hard to get hold of. I've never had the rear out of control, but had the front drifting/screeching loads of times with these generic crap on. They have an unusual tread pattern though don't they? Struggling to find them anywhere around here though

superflygti

IMHO, i dont really rate the T1-R proxes the old T1-S were a lot better the T1-R i have found to overheat very easily and the grip is not consistent through the life of the tire.
The Goodyear eagle F1s are head and shoulders above the proxes. but if you only want to spend proxes level of money on tyres i couldn't recommend the KUMHO Ecsta SPT KU31. The KUMHOs are a cracking tyre. very good wet or dry. very consistent grip throughout their life, inc. when low on tread! They last longer than the proxes and dont overheat anywhere near as quickly as the proxes.

1st choice...If you have the £££ the EAGLE F1's
Very close 2nd is the KUMHO Ecsta SPT KU31 (get the Extra load ones theyre better too)

But would never bother with Proxes T1-R

Thats just my 2p, but i understand that many people like the proxes, ive just had bad experiences with them, and dont think theyre a scratch on the KU31.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
I don't have an issue with them, though they seem hard to get hold of. I've never had the rear out of control, but had the front drifting/screeching loads of times with these generic crap on. They have an unusual tread pattern though don't they? Struggling to find them anywhere around here though

Camskill sell them at £85 delivered. Yes, very unusual tread pattern but they work incredibly well.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I went to see my mate today who own's a wheel and tyre shop, He swear's by the Goodyears,
Apparently the GSD3 have been replaced by the F1 Asymmetric, they cost about £15 more each tyre, But they are ment tpo be one of the best tyre's around.
I'm seriously thinking about getting these next.
They also ment to have a good wear rate too.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise