Track Day Car MK3 Ibiza

squirrelboy123

Hi,

I am after some advice. (what’s new lol)

Basically I have just managed to buy my old (Pre loved) Ibiza mk3 Cupra back from the idiot I sold it too, Who decided to re-model it by using another car! Whoops..

Unfortunately its now on the dreaded insurance hit list and isn’t worth a huge amount anymore, So I am thinking Track day car!! :)

So here come the questions:

I want to make it lighter, Obviously The usual things will be going interior (which will be for sale!! ;) ) , The oodles of dynomat that I had put in + the std Seat sound padding and carpet. But what else can I loose? Can you get Perspex windows for the MK3?

Roll cage? Does the OMP MK2 one fit?

Wheels? Looking light as possible but they have to be 17” to go over the Willwood Brakes.

Light Panels? Bonnet/ wings etc.. Or am I going to far..?

Anymore Ideas would be greatly received..

Sorry for waffling on.. lol

Thanks for your time and ideas..

You can perspex windows for anything. I don't believe a mk2 cage will fit. Probably have to go to custom cages.

I don't think you will need 17" wheels to go over your wilwoods. What diameter discs do you use with them? Perhaps you will need a higher offset wheel.

Going too far with the panels and bonnet etc... Maybe concentrate on other areas such as suspenion, ARBs, bushes and tyres first.

squirrelboy123

Thanks for your quick replies.

I am quite lucky that the car has a few nice bits already, the wilwoods are 320mm I think running the superlite 4 pot calliper, It has 17" wheels Atm well 3 of them at least.. lol

I already have red sport bushes, but yeah I agree suspension is a must.. Any ideas? It has koni shocks with eibach sprigs at present, but these aren't height adjustable.

OMP mk2 cage fits fine. You'll probably need to make up your own rear base plates though.

Wicked, Have you seen one fitted? Think it will be the cheaper/ easier option if the OMP one does fit? If not where are custom cages located? and do they need the car? Or do they send it out as a kit?

Thanks again

ashgtiturbo

Jun 23, 2009
if you have the standard wheels i'd be up for doing a deal with a set of superleggeras in 17in...

squirrelboy123

Yip, fitted it myself. It's a bolt in cage but i've welded it in.

Yeah Thanks again for the info, I bought the OMP cage and fitted it over the last weekend. It needed 2 small rear mounts making up as the MK2 must have slightly different rear suspension turrets.

Well the cars getting there slowly.. I found a company that does perspex windows and they should be with me Tuesday (so they say!! lol)

I have a few pics of the car so far but the forum tells me: "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more." :shrug:

Always punish the new guys.. Haha..

squirrelboy123

14 Sorry this is getting boring.. last one I promise...

squirrelboy123

Pics:

IMG_4002.jpg

The car as I received it from the insurance company..

IMG_5078.jpg

Start of the major strip.

IMG_5096.jpg

Removed all Seat sound deadening.

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_7006.jpg

IMG_7007.jpg

IMG_7042.jpg

IMG_7044.jpg

OMP MK2 Roll Cage..

IMG_7045.jpg

squirrelboy123

Nice progress, which my black one was as shiny!

Thanks.. :) Its definitely getting there.. Seats and wheels should turn up monday, Funny you should mention how shiny it looks Its actually Matt black paint, It looks really shiny in the pic because its still wet. My mate is a painter and when he was doing it I was thinking that’s not matt.. But it looks wicked now I will add more pics soon..

Nice work so far!.. Did you spray it yourself?

Thanks again, No my friend done the paint, we share a workshop and do the odd car repair/ paintwork etc.. He gets the nice jobs, and i end up covered in oil and burnt with a welder.. haha

nice contrast black and orange ,are you going orange on the wheels too???

Yeah I have just bought a set of Team Dynamic Pro race 1.2 wheels. (Lightest i could find lol), They are black so i was thinking of just painting the outta rims orange.???

daves ibiza

soz to gatecrash but how much was that cage. nice car by the way:D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.