Track day tyres

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
I'm picking up a set of Seat Sport OZ Super T's over the weekend (Cupra R wheels) which I intend to use purely as track wheels.

Question is, which tyres do I go for purely for track use?

With a 205/45/16 tyre, I've read that the Toyo R888s aren't a wise move as they're only available in 195/50/16 or 205/55/16 and the sidewalls are so square and stiff that they destroy the arches :(

Looking on Camskill I'm pointed towards the Kuhmo Ecsta V70as but I know Bill melted a set on the soft compound and haven't seen many reviews.

I'm running Uniroyal Rainsport 2's on my everyday/winter wheels at the moment which I was impressed with on a wet track dat at Brands but wonder if I can get more out of a track tyre (in the dry of course) with stiffer side walls.

So, let's hear your thoughts/recommendations :D

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Yeah I figured I'd go for hard if I was using them just on track.

What did you make of these in general Bill - worth buying?

daves ibiza

my mate runs toyo r888 tyres on his rs focus and there awesome

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
See how cheap the Hankooks are tho? Makes it hard not to choose them tbh.

Yoko A048?

Im probably gonna go for the hankooks next as theyre better in the wet and dry compared to my Paradas, which are AWESOME.

Prebs

Dec 28, 2004
Norway, Bergen
Robbie, how did this story end? Im at the same roadcross as you apperently. I very eager to try out r888 in 195/50 16 (special lotus size) Have you heard/read anyone other then from the thread you´ve linked to that they touch the arches? I guess it all boils down til how low she is?

Prebs

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Unfortunately the OZs are still sitting patiently in their boxes in my garage :(

I moved out last month so tyres are an unaffordable luxury for the time being, though I imagine I will go for the Kuhmos very soon based on the above reviews. I was talking to Bill about this when I last saw him and he got on OK with them (bar the melting incident) so a harder compound should be OK.

I've not read anything else to suggest that the R888's destroy the arches but I know the sidewalls are very square and unforgiving so not sure I'd want to risk it.

I've also got a set of D90s collecting dust waiting to be refurbed and wrapped in new rubber for show wheels haha

ian_cupra

i'm going down to 15's like Bill did, just so i can get a better range of tyres :)

Dec 13, 2006
Ashford, Middx
What wheels you going to get ian? what width and offset. I was looking at getting a set of 15's, my mate has a set of comp mo's 15x7 et35 that i might trial fit.

ian_cupra

some more compomotives, be 7" wide and normal offset. so those ones your mate has will fit, need them to fit over the brembo's which those ones will.

ian_cupra

not that i know of, its only so i can get the Yoko A048's or Toyo R888's on, as they have a 50 tyre wall on the 16's which is to big, but with the 15's its a 50 tyre wall which is just about right in the end. and going up to 17 is too much and you lose a bit of handling

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members