Trading in Advice

halo25

Jan 10, 2006
330d sport is quick - very quick when remapped, dont underestimate it - I had a few people that did that with mine. It would pull up to 140 no problem and like a train too - the sheer mid range grunt is startling, I would have no problem going up against a standard 1.8 t in it at all.

However they are stupid to keep on the road and running costs are sky high - thats why im selling mine for a cupra R.

I test drove the CTR last weekend, its not actually flat at lower revs and I found it reasonably torquey despite what I have heard and its reliable with that N/A engine. But it needs to be driven properly!!

If your looking at scoobys - my old classic used to do 27 mpg all round with some good blasts - thats not far off CTR MPG if your pushing it all time.

Otherwise the choices are limited - performance and economy just dont come hand in hand just yet. Unless you get a GOLF TDI 150 and remap it?

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
There's a guy on another forum with a remapped 330d - 400flb of torque!! They are mental, you can get a 330 petrol in this price band by the way.

For 8k - if you want something really quick then youre better off buying a ticking time bomb like an old STi, Evo, Skyline etc, they are all very dated and will feel so compared to the lcr, however if you siomply want balls out speed thats what you need.

8k would also get you Clio 182? - quick, handle brilliantly, cheap as chips, non turbo - no limp mode

Also - An Astra GSi or Astra Coupe Turbo - my mate has just bought the latter with leather, climate, xenons etc, for 5.5k and with the extra 2.5k you could easily get it to 300bhp +

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
There's a guy on another forum with a remapped 330d - 400flb of torque!! They are mental, you can get a 330 petrol in this price band by the way.

For 8k - if you want something really quick then youre better off buying a ticking time bomb like an old STi, Evo, Skyline etc, they are all very dated and will feel so compared to the lcr, however if you siomply want balls out speed thats what you need.

8k would also get you Clio 182? - quick, handle brilliantly, cheap as chips, non turbo - no limp mode

Also - An Astra GSi or Astra Coupe Turbo - my mate has just bought the latter with leather, climate, xenons etc, for 5.5k and with the extra 2.5k you could easily get it to 300bhp +

I had cars that were running at those bhp! i want a petrol turbo abit lower than one listed above. around 200 - 225bhp. clio abit small me , rather by Glanza instead of that. dont like astra or vauxhall, remind me of rover!.

Deleted member 7729

Think he was suggesting to use The Queens (Proper) English! :lol:

ROFL

I'm in this territory too and another consideration is how long do you expect to keep the new car and what will it's depreciation be like. Hence why I was looking at a R32 as their residuals appear to be very good, how long this last is another matter.. The one I was looking at wasn't right. I'm very undecided at the moment and I'd love a LCR, but I think the long term residuals aren't going to be that good. If the LCR came with leather recaros and a bit more luxury it'd be even further up the pecking order.

On my list at the moment are (in no particular order)

Golf MKIV R32
Seat Leon Cupra R
Late as possible Audi S3
BMW 330ci
Audi A3 3.2 quattro
Audi A4 quattro 1.8T with s-line pack

I'm sure there are others and as for running costs the worst there are:

BMW 330ci
Golf R32

Bonus if I stay with the VAG fold and pending how old the motor is it'll go to JKM. I spoke to JKM about R32 servicing and I was surprised how reasonable it was. However VW garages have a reputation of being very expensive.

The final option I have is run my Leon Cupra up to the 100k mark when it's only worth a fag packet etc.

What's your budget again? If it's low teens I'd go the S3 route.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Yeh im thinking about a s3. as it come with ful leathers as standard! 210/225bhp, 4wd! cheap to run.
i like the r32! but they are not that quick. i saw clip on your tube. s3 vs new r32. the r32 couldnt keep up! the s3 was gapping it! im shocked! all you could see in r32 it was readlining but too slow for s3

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
If you can buy a solid and well maintained S3 with 55k miles for £8k then snap it up very quickly!

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
well i seen few goin around! all the cars i get come with fsh followed by aa hpi check and inspection from my local garage mate!
I had a A3 which was fully loaded with leathers, air con sunroof. thats why im im intersted in them plus the have remote window closure! lol

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Fair play then. Out of the cars listed my top two would be the LCR or S3 and if you can get a sensible mileage S3 in budget with the extras you mention then that would be my suggestion. Just make sure you look at the LCR prices though as you might find you can get a newer, lower mileage example for the same price as the S3.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
this bites!
Im having few problems with insurance as the quotes are abit around £1900 for s3/lcr/ctr.

can any give some good insurance companies? im 21 with 3point ( expires 01/08) with 2years claims.
Any suggestio will be apprecited

needles

try adrian flux for a quote, Im 21 with LCR , 2 years ncb, 1 claim and 3 points, Im paying £913 FC:D ! which I thought was bloody good...considering elephant wanted £1295 for renewal........I was shoping around for nearly 2 months though!...How ever, 2 months searching saved me over £350.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
try adrian flux for a quote, Im 21 with LCR , 2 years ncb, 1 claim and 3 points, Im paying £913 FC:D ! which I thought was bloody good...considering elephant wanted £1295 for renewal........I was shoping around for nearly 2 months though!...How ever, 2 months searching saved me over £350.

How long have u held you license for? i hav had it for 3years

p1tse

Dec 1, 2004
if you get a LCR, simple remap would be putting more power.
if you do more motorway miles, and need the extra space LCR.

but i think the type r will be more enjoyable to drive a-to-b, when you want too.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise