1. Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store. and are now half price.

Transfer Non Personalised (original) Plate to new car?

Discussion in '(Archived) Ask for help with your car and FAQs' started by Rob66, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Rob66

Rob66 Full Member

Hi all,

I have had my current Leon 10 years now and was lucky enough to get a pretty good plate when i bought the car. I have now seen an ex demo Leon and would like to transfer my existing plate to it (so an 08 plate to an 18) if I buy it.

I have found info on line re retaining personal plates and having an age related one allocated to the car, but does anyone know if you can transfer your original allocated Plate?

Thanks

Rob

Ps i did try to call DVLA but gave up.

2. Legojon

Legojon I only wanted a remap

Not sure. Don't see how that would work though. Usually when you put a private plate on, DVLA park the original plate so it goes back on the car when your done with it (in most cases). But you own the car, not the plate. Which is why I assume when you buy a plate you get issued a certificate. So effectively if they let you buy it, the car would be without a reg no altogether, they'd have to allocate a new one. I doubt you can do that online, so you'd really have to get in touch with them unfortunately.

Rob66 likes this.
  3. Rob66

Rob66 Full Member

Cheers Jon. Yes guess I'll have to get on the phone and speak to them..

4. Scrogg

Scrogg Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...

Yes. It costs £80 and is incredibly easy to do online:

Take a private number off a vehicle

5. Legojon

Its a bit ambiguous in places, but that suggests it's for personalised plates only:
    "You can take a private (personalised) number off a vehicle"

6. Rob66

Rob66 Full Member

Thanks Scrogg, Jon

Yes, that's what I was looking at but your right Jon it seems to cover personalised plates rather than the original one.. will let you know what DVLA when I speak to them - thanks again for replies.

7. Scrogg

Scrogg Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...

That's just the way it is worded, as they assume most people wouldn't want to keep a standard issued number - the reality is any number can be retained/transferred.

I had a customer once that changed her Fiesta for a new one in the same colour every year, and kept the number from the first one so her neighbours wouldn't know!

8. Legojon

:rofl:. I don't get it... why wouldn't she want her neighbours to know? Usually it's the opposite way round.

9. martin j.

martin j. Active Member

DVD’s will just allocate another year related plate and allow you to take your preferred plate with you.

10. MW05

MW05 Active Member

Yes!

Have a look here:

https://www.theprivateplateco.co.uk...nsfer-a-number-plate-from-one-car-to-another/