Transporting copious amounts of fuel

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The most annoying thing about a modded Cupra is getting 200ish miles to a full tank of fuel. Being mapped, my only choices are Vpower or Momentum 99 which when I get to Royston Vasey, the only choice is "Tubb's fuel".

There are a few considerations I have in mind.
  • Fuel vapour in the boot (flammable)
  • Smell
  • Spillage
  • Fuel vapour when transferring to the actual tank (don't the pumps do something special to keep air/vapour out?)
Something like this would be cool:
PRODPIC-1637.jpg

But I couldn't have it as an actual tank without changing pumps, lines, etc. And as storage I would have no way to transfer to the actual tank.

My other idea is to build a "rack" to hold 3 of these:
51t2u-cw7HL._SL1010_.jpg

My concerns being: stinking the car out of fuel. Spillage soaking into the boot liner. And spontaneous combustion.

Anyone got any ideas? I'd like to do some longer trips where I fill the tank, fill the cans and don't need to worry where I end up and how far the next shell station is.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Do you not have an SPS switch to change it back to stock which gives you more MPG lol

What are the chances of making the current fuel tank bigger? I assume it's a 55 ltr like my previous FR TFSI...

Also worth considering braking time with large amounts of liquid swirling around.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Yeah, that was the other consideration... switching to stock map and using "Tubb's gas". But kind of defeats the point because I want to go to some winding national speed limit roads and rag the :censored: out of it. If I kill 100bhp and 60lbs of torque off it, it's just not the same. Plus, at stock I'd only gain 5-6mpg anyway.

Yeah, it's 55l. I dunno, I assume the gravity feed / intank pump is designed to work with a specific capacity of fuel. So don't think I can just use a bigger tank without carefully working out volumes and pump sizes.

Braking? I don't brake. LOL. Hmmm... and the sloshing noise would be annoying.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Yeah, that was the other consideration... switching to stock map and using "Tubb's gas". But kind of defeats the point because I want to go to some winding national speed limit roads and rag the :censored: out of it. If I kill 100bhp and 60lbs of torque off it, it's just not the same. Plus, at stock I'd only gain 5-6mpg anyway.

Yeah, it's 55l. I dunno, I assume the gravity feed / intank pump is designed to work with a specific capacity of fuel. So don't think I can just use a bigger tank without carefully working out volumes and pump sizes.

Braking? I don't brake. LOL. Hmmm... and the sloshing noise would be annoying.
You could get someone in a diesel to follow you with fuel in the boot then you have a personal fill up station lol I get like 400 miles out of a tank if I don't hammer it too much...

Deleted member 103408

I would hope if you get a second tank it will be baffled so you will not have sloshing noises.

Dont get angry but have you considered LPG Conversion.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
You could get someone in a diesel to follow you with fuel in the boot then you have a personal fill up station lol I get like 400 miles out of a tank if I don't hammer it too much...

I actually considered hiring a flat back to take me. Which in my mind looks like this:
tbep17a.jpeg

I would hope if you get a second tank it will be baffled so you will not have sloshing noises.

Dont get angry but have you considered LPG Conversion.

Yup, would definitely be baffled. Um, not until this morning. But I have no idea how that would work with the remapping/performance. I'll have a read up.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Once closed the 20Litre cans should be sealed, mine are they dont smell at all and they give a satisfying hiss when you open them! lol!

The only thing is in the event of a crash they could cause a few issues as they are not really designed with that in mind.

Deleted member 103408

Well firstly we need to get Revo to confirm they will run on LPG,

They are not cheap but the fuel is cheaper, Your car tax goes down and its easy/safe to use and switch between the two fuels.

Waiting for Revo to confirm if they have done any testing.

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
seems like a worthy investment if you plan on keeping the car for several years. then again im sure such installations would raise the value of the car if you did decide to sell

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
Is this the sort of thing you looking for Jon or is two not enough..
cd486922f0eba588417f66bff6a9915d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.