Troubles with free Tomtom 710

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Hi Cupra R

The tomtom power supply unit contains I think contains two switchmode type power supplies. I know the tomtom requires 5v so I am assuming one of these switches 12v to 5v (at 2A). Not sure what the other does. maybe 24v in to 5V out if the unit is also meant for commercial use.

A 20 pin connector with 6 of the pins wired has been pre-wired to the stereo unit.

13 wires come from the mount and are terminated on a 16 pin connector, 3 pins are unconnected.

Also on the box is a spare 14 pin socket the functions of which are unknown, but I wonder if they would be where the external microphone and the TMC receiver would be connected. The PSU box would therefore route some pins from the tomtom mount back out to the 14 pin header.

This is only guesswork, but I am going to ask tomtom for for a schematic of the unit.

The markings on the box ar listed in the post above.

To summarise you would certainly need a 12v to 5v supply rated at 2A.

XLRAY

Cheers mate.

I have asked a Seat dealer if it is at all possible to purchase the wiring that would of been fitted at the factory, afterall it should be possible to purchase a full wiring loom if it was ever damaged or anything. They are yet to get back to me.

All I am wanting to do is fit the cradle and be able to power the Tom Tom via the car's power. I have the 910, it is a little heavy on battery power, but I don't like the lead trailing to the lighter socket.

I know I could work around this in other way's, but I'm after the factory feel/look/finish.

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Hi again Xlray

I am noting the info re the wirng between the box and the car ie the 20 pin connector nand I am convinced that two of the six wires are the 12volt positie and negative -- but which two is the question.

If I ever find ut I will let you all know

John

EBlack

TomTom Problems Update

Bad new folks!

Just had word back from Seat UK that because my car was ordered without the pre-installed wiring loom for the TomTom, it can NOT be retro fitted. :cry:

So..... can anyone who has had a free TomTom fitted with the pre-installation, please take a look with a meter at the connection from the loom to the extension lead from the dropper box, and let me know which of the six wires is the power, and which is the earth.

I've called TomTom and asked them for pin-outs for the dropper box, but guess what - they don't know anything about it..... so much for TomTom tech support! :censored:

It looks like this is the only way to get it working, and even then not fully, ie through the car speakers, cutting out the stereo, etc.

I'll fit a handsfree car kit, and live with it, as long as I can get the satnav itself working!.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ewan

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
I Know that this has been asked by myself and EBlack before but can anyone with the pre-installed TomTom loom let me know which of the conections are the 12 volt positive and negative feeds

Many Thanks

John

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members