1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Tuned intake length

Discussion in 'Normally Aspirated Forum' started by RobT, Jan 16, 2007.

1. RobT

RobT Full throttle trip

different from airbox resonance - this is about length of intake from a rampipe to valve

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=165529&page=3

for an excellent selection of articles

ballpark calculation is

90 / (rpm/1000) = tuned length

eg. torque peak at 7000 rpm, 90/7 = 12.86" or 321mm

my DTH TB setup is 270mm = 10.8" so theoretically tuned for 8300rpm - could do with being a lot longer to bring tuned length of intake into play in normal operating rev ranges but is restricted by bonnet clearance

it would be nice to have a slug of extra torque at about 5000rpm but for this the length would have to be 450mm....increase of 180mm over now....no chance

2. R French

R French Full Member

Hi Rob,
    Had a think about this for a while and all the kit cars ran with a front mounted air intake via what I am assuming TB's. See photo on link: http://www.rallycarsforsale.net/photos/p38827n3.jpg

So - do you think this looks OE enough to get away with the "maintain the standard plenum chamber and throttle body" bit in the blue book??????

3. RobT

RobT Full throttle trip

not a chance mate - the kitcars dont have a plenum chamber as such, but like you say are single tb per cylinder

4. F2 Stu

F2 Stu I. Am. Legend.

eng-tips.com is a great site of all sorts of randon stuff!

I have 2 plots on different rollers which are .03 within each other on HP but torque figures way different

Awesome's plot peaks at 7k whilst AMD's peaks at just before 5k, If I stick to AMD's plot my runner length would be 18"!

5. ibizacupra

ibizacupra Jack-RIP my little Friend
    Forum Sponsor

in my experience, the longer I made my induction tract the more torque it made and from lower rpm.
    120mm airhorns, + 45mm spacers on the DTH bodies, with my airhorns cut and welded to duck under the bonnet line so additional length could be accomodated

300mm was what I was told by a guy I met years ago as a good guide starting point.. from back of valve to end of rampipe.

testing will confirm, and engine specs with vary this

6. Suti

Suti Guest

thanks for link, really useful