Tuned leons, how long will they live????

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Just thought this would be an interesting topic. As most modern engines now can easily see 250k. I just wanted to bring up the question, how long do you think tuned cars will last for? In particualr your own? Now i understand not many peeps will keep there car until the death, but in your estimation or from previous experience, how long has an engine of a tuned car lasted for? This can be a simple remap or a full blown hybrid unit with all the bells and whistles? Would be interesting to know how long a standard vs tuned leon would cope as the miles and years come on?
I understand there are many factors, type of driving, servicing, etc etc but most of us with tuned cars i would imagine tend to keep an eye on all our essentials e.g weekly oil checks and coolant checks, etc and we are all probably to an extent at times "spirited" drivers.

Any comments or experience on this with any car really but mainly mk2 leons, diesel or petrol.

Cheers:)

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
that is a hard question and one which will never have a proper answer but i think that if you are taking components to their limit then something is bound to wear at some point to cause a failure, saying that i havent heard of any major issues with the mk2 cupra engine "touch wood".

my car has been mapped stage 2/+ for 22000miles and never had an issue, and it is driven very hard all the time.

im sure it has got plenty of life in it yet and if something does fail its just a good excuse to replace it with a better bit:cartman:

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Yeh that is right enough owen, aside from the components e.g turbo etc, approxiamtly how long would you say an engine would live for before the rings start to go etc? I know that is a difficult question but do you think it would be a lot shorter than a standard car?

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
my last one didnt last . Cam belt tensioner jumped a tooth that meant Engine MELTDOWN!

I would expect a leon to be good for minimum 130 even if its driven hard.