Tuning a "High Mileage" PD130 FR TDi

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
Hi all,

Recently became the owner of an Ibiza FR 1.9 TDi. It has 96k on it, 1 owner and FSH. Oil + filter changes done every 10k according to the history. First with SEAT and the rest with independent garage. I fancy a little more power but want to keep it reliable as it's my daily driver and use it for commuting so was wondering the following:

I plan to remove the EGR cooler, EGR valve, turbo back exhaust (2.5") with cat and center resonator remove to performance backbox and a Revo stage 1 remap.

My clutch has never slipped and i'm not an aggressive driver with it. My DMF is a little noisy at times and but you can only hear it if you're tuning in and listening for it.

I wanted the exhaust to reduce lag for peak power and to keep the exhaust gasses cooler.

What would be a wise figure to aim for with Bhp and Torque given the above?
I'd be happy with a smooth 165bhp, 285lb torque. Does this sound safe?
Would i be better getting a custom map somewhere else other than Revo given the mileage on mines?

I don't mind replacing the clutch at some point but it would be nice if i could get another 13k / 1 year out of it.

josh487

Mar 24, 2010
Sheffield
Sounds safe to me loads of people say different looking at doing the same I've a pd130 fr it's done 70 tho I'm just gunna get it mapped to bout 170 been advised to keep it under 180bhp with standard clutch and turbo

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
170bhp would be great. Feels quite quick just now but just needs a little more i think.
Just a bit worried about sending my turbo or clutch to an early death

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
96k is not high mileage for a 1.9tdi, I recently worked on a skoda octavia 1.9tdi that had 390k (cabbie car)

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
96k is not high mileage for a 1.9tdi, I recently worked on a skoda octavia 1.9tdi that had 390k (cabbie car)

Very true, I remapped my leon FR tdi at 175k and apart from the clutch needing to be replaced eventually I've had no issues, so if you're worried with your 96k I wouldn't be so much, just watch out for the clutch slip because I let mine go on a tad too long and the clutch plate separated from the centre!

If you want to do it properly, save for a uprated clutch and get the remap and clutch fitted at the same time.

Cheers,

S10EAT

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Yeh 165-170bhp is a safe max for the 130 lump, mileage doesn't matter at all, if the engine is good it's good. I got nytrix tuning to do my map, superb job and he's really careful about killing your car. Just google him.

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland

Not high mileage for a TDi in terms of engine i know but was wondering about original Turbo and Clutch lifespan.

Very true, I remapped my leon FR tdi at 175k and apart from the clutch needing to be replaced eventually I've had no issues, so if you're worried with your 96k I wouldn't be so much, just watch out for the clutch slip because I let mine go on a tad too long and the clutch plate separated from the centre!

If you want to do it properly, save for a uprated clutch and get the remap and clutch fitted at the same time.

Cheers,

S10EAT

I could afford the clutch kit the now but i'm gritting my teeth at the thought of it as i've only owned it about a month and if i knew remapping it would kill the standard clutch i'd avoid it for at least another year so i can get good value from it kind of thing. What Bhp and Torque did you make after the remap? Did it always slip when you floored it or just from low revs in high gears?

Yeh 165-170bhp is a safe max for the 130 lump, mileage doesn't matter at all, if the engine is good it's good. I got nytrix tuning to do my map, superb job and he's really careful about killing your car. Just google him.

Will check him out thanks.

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
I have a pd150, I had mine mapped and it didnt slip for about a month (approx 1000miles), when it started slipping it was in 3rd/4th as it come on boost. my car had done 103k on the original clutch, I didnt let it slip and when I removed the clutch it was nearly on the rivets...

when I had it mapped I gotta admit, I drove it like a c*nt lol

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
as for the turbo, no one can tell you how long it will last as it depends if it been looked after, has it always been warmed up and cooled down, how much of its life has it been on boost...

most important one is depends who does your remap, if they turn the boost up too far then you will just kill it.

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
Whats the safe range of boost pressure for the 1.9tdi PD130 turbo?
My friends Fabia a few years back made 174bhp @ 1.7 bar but that seemed a little high for my liking. Would 1.5 bar be safe and get me around 160bhp?

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Whats the safe range of boost pressure for the 1.9tdi PD130 turbo?
My friends Fabia a few years back made 174bhp @ 1.7 bar but that seemed a little high for my liking. Would 1.5 bar be safe and get me around 160bhp?

It's not so much about boost for the tdi, but more increasing fuelling duration

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
It's not so much about boost for the tdi, but more increasing fuelling duration

I always thought the only thing outside abuse and neglected oil changes that could kill the turbo quickly was high boost. Does the fueling duration have an effect on the turbo's lifespan as well?

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
high boost does kill a turbo as theyre designed to take a certain heat and spin at a certain speed, by upping the boost ur making the turbo spin faster whilst creating more heat, thats why hybrids are better because they use better bearings that can handle higher boost

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
Yeah, that's why i'm trying to find out the maximum safe boost levels for a car of my miles with original clutch and turbo.
Not sure if a Revo stage 1 will be too much for it, for long term reliability or if i'd be better getting a tamer custom map and tell them not to go over a certain level of boost to keep it conservative.

reefer24131

Jun 9, 2013
kent
I mean to be honest revo are a big name and I dont think they would produce a map that would dramatically shorten the life span of your turbo otherwise they would have a bad feedback regarding turbos blowing, again it depends how you drive the car. just tell them your not looking for max power, you want more power without stressing other components too much

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Yeah, that's why i'm trying to find out the maximum safe boost levels for a car of my miles with original clutch and turbo.
Not sure if a Revo stage 1 will be too much for it, for long term reliability or if i'd be better getting a tamer custom map and tell them not to go over a certain level of boost to keep it conservative.

Doesn't matter what you choose you will still come to the point where you will need to change the clutch/flywheel, even limited to 300lb/ft it will still wear it a lot quicker and you run the risk of having the clutch disintegrating/separating from the plate under the extra load.

Just my opinion but having been down this road a few times I would go clutch upgrade then remap, prepare the car then apply the power increase. Doesn't make logical sense to do it the other way around.

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
If it's a case of replacing the clutch before doing the remap then i'll need to hold off until either the clutch fails or starts slipping badly under standard power. Remaps seems a good cost effective way to increase the power, but if i have to replace the clutch straight away it won't be a good value for money mod for me personally.
No point of a high performance exhaust on a standard engine as well so looks like everything will need to wait on the clutch

Appreciate the advise though

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Doesn't matter what you choose you will still come to the point where you will need to change the clutch/flywheel, even limited to 300lb/ft it will still wear it a lot quicker and you run the risk of having the clutch disintegrating/separating from the plate under the extra load.

Just my opinion but having been down this road a few times I would go clutch upgrade then remap, prepare the car then apply the power increase. Doesn't make logical sense to do it the other way around.

Yeh but it's a challenge, I could get my car over the 100mph no bother even though my clutch was dire lol. Can't deny it's better now mind :D

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Yeh but it's a challenge, I could get my car over the 100mph no bother even though my clutch was dire lol. Can't deny it's better now mind :D

Yeah it's a challenge but highly frustrating when you need to quickly overtake in the higher gears and all you get is a whapp whhappp whhapp as the revs spin until the clutch finally grips and by that time your overtaking window has disappeared!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members