Tuning box question

Steve-L

Mar 19, 2003
England
Visit site
I have just purchased a tuning box from www.mrhoot.com and have to say first impressions are very good, no jerkiness, far better torque and quite smooth acceleration (once you get used to it) but after plugging it in the trip computer is flashing a spanner with the word "oil" . I looked this up in the manual and this say's oil change :-o
I checked the oil level but this is ok. I am assuming I just need to get someone to reset the trip computer but am not sure.
Anyone else have any experience of this

:cheers:

elnigel

Nov 25, 2002
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Visit site
mate, tuning boxes have no connections with anything to do with oil as far as i know, they just plug in line before the fuel pump.

I fancy gettin one of those tunung boxes from mr hoot. you are the first one ive heard of whos got one.

How much did you pay? how good is it?

Steve-L

Mar 19, 2003
England
Visit site
elnigel said:
mate, tuning boxes have no connections with anything to do with oil as far as i know, they just plug in line before the fuel pump.

I fancy gettin one of those tunung boxes from mr hoot. you are the first one ive heard of whos got one.

How much did you pay? how good is it?

So far I have been really impressed, the extra power is delivered very smoothly, no problems when idling and the increased torque certainly makes me feel far more confident for quick overtaking. I have no idea yet on fuel consumption but according to the trip computer it looks about the same.
My car is the TDI SE so from their website the car now has the same BHP/Torque as the TDI Sport (but as I have never driven a TDI Sport I do not know if this is the case) but for myself I am very happy. :D
The unit cost £129 incl vat & P&P. I know there were units on ebay for £25 but they looked a bit mickeymouse IMHO and I would rather buy from a registered company.

ralph

Jan 27, 2004
N.wales
Visit site
my spanner came on when I fitted my tuning box aswell but as the mileage had just gone past 15,000 I thought it was due to that so I just re-set it. Also after about a week with it fitted I had it plugged into VAG-COM and it brought up a warning for a faulty fuel temp sender unit but no eng management light came up on the dash.I am also going to give my old one away but I have offerd it to someone else and just waiting for them to get back to me so next one who wants it say so now and if the other guy doesent want it you can have it mine has had a re-map now.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
If it is one of the type of Tuning Boxes that fools the ECU via the fuel temperature sender then that is the likely cause of the problem. These boxes intercept the signal from the fuel temperature sender and ask the ECU to supply more fuel, so perhaps yours is a bit keen and the ECU is panicking at the amount of fuel being asked for.
Is there any form of adjustment on the box to try and slacken off the fuelling slightly to keep the ECU happy?
If not try and get a replacement box or refund as it's going to be a pain to live with.

Steve-L

Mar 19, 2003
England
Visit site
TDi Sport = 6 speed, 130bhp(ish)
thought TDi SE = 5 speed, 100bhp(ish)[/QUOTE]

Correct all i said was the unit claims 25-30% increase in BHP so I am assuming the SE at 100bhp + 25-30% = 125 to 130bhp (ish). As I mentioned previously I have not driven the sport and I am sure it has additional bits that increase performance over the SE. I was just saying that the BHP must be similar if the unit "does what it says on the tin"

Steve-L

Mar 19, 2003
England
Visit site
ralph said:
my spanner came on when I fitted my tuning box aswell but as the mileage had just gone past 15,000 I thought it was due to that so I just re-set it.

Mine was just over 15,000 when I fitted the tuning box. I followed the instructions in the manual to rest but it has not worked, maybe I am doing something wrong but it seems pretty clear...

turn off ignition
hold down reset button
turn on ignition whilst still holding reset button
hold for 10 seconds and release

As I say seems easy but did not work :confused:

Timmy Turtle

Fitted "Original Tuning Box" to my 1998 90bhp cordoba 3 yrs ago, no problems at all.pulls much better all through the rev range.no lag at all from standstill which is better than the Alpin box on my other cordy i just sold.cost £290 back then .may get another one for my new caddy tdi at gti international this weekend.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
I have also owned an 'Original Tuning Box' on a 90 and can recommend it as a good bit of kit, one of the proper tuning boxes by a reputable company for reasonable money (also found on one of StuB's fleet!!!).

Steve-L

Mar 19, 2003
England
Visit site
I have got rid of the spanner and oil change message :)

I was originally holding down the button that resets all the info on the trip computer and not the dial/button that sets the clock etc. :redface:

Anyway alls well that ends well.

PS. Saw one of those new Astra's today, radical change in shape. I wonder if they are trying to appeal to a new market ?

Apr 2, 2004
Manchester
Just bought one of these boxes off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32094&item=7901775176&rd=1

The way I see it, they all mod the Fuel Temp anyway, so i'd rather spend £30 than £200, and maybe mod the resistor values or the box myself if need be.

I'll fork out for a proper ECU remap one day :)

If it doesnt work, its only £30, can always put it back up on ebay :D

Will let you all know how it goes when it arrives, someone has to be the guinea pig dont they! ;)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2004
Manchester
Theres a lot going around on ebay for £200 or £300 where they try to tell you its not a resistor in a box. Funny how the connectors only plug inline with the fuel temp sender though, so they all do the same thing. The build quality of some of the £200 ones is appalling, using cheap computer connectors instead of waterproof car ones, and poor wiring looms etc. They all do the same thing and fool the ECU into thinking the fuel is warmer than it actually is? Rough way of tuning though, aww well, more soot to through over the windscreens of them Saxo's :roflmao:

I'll take it apart when it arrives and see what components are in it.

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Wilko81 said:
Funny how the connectors only plug inline with the fuel temp sender though, so they all do the same thing
Yep - any tuning box that only has a two-pin connection, and fits in place of the fuel temp sensor, can only be a resistor.

If it's got more than two pins and/or it fits somewhere else, it's probably more complex and presumably does a better job.

Stu B

DarthWombleIII & WombleII
Driveforward said:
Hi Steve, glad you are impressed.. I think you'll find you have the same box as I previously had - now owned by Stu B.. see:
http://www.driveforward.com/motorin...weekends_04.htm

Yeap - Great little box..

BeezerDiesel said:
I have also owned an 'Original Tuning Box' on a 90 and can recommend it as a good bit of kit, one of the proper tuning boxes by a reputable company for reasonable money (also found on one of StuB's fleet!!!).

Yeah me Fleet of Seats..... But this 'Tuning Box' is adjustable for mind blowing results as Andy (BeezerDiesel) can confess to...

Now looking for another box for father-in-law, coz he was so impressed with my two, he wants one...... :redface: [B)]

Apr 2, 2004
Manchester
Well mine arrived today from Germany, fitted in less than two minutes.

It fits in line, no messy wires to route, and no box to mount somewhere else.

Took it for a spin, and wow what a difference! Best £30 i spent yet., Now just need a rolling road to test it on :D

A fair bit more soot and engine sounds a little rougher on idle, but i'm sure i can live with that til i decide to fork out for a remap

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.