Tuning box question

Apr 2, 2004
Manchester
Took the box apart today and was greeted by a nice sea of solid black silicon sealant covering the circuit :D

On the - side of the connector, theres a total resistance of 0 ohms, on the + side of the connectors, there is 150 ohms.

Theres definitely two transistors and a resistor poking through the silicon but cant make out if there are any other components underneath, will have to clear all the silicon out later and see how it works.

Well at least it isnt JUST a simple resistor :D

dilated

Im quite new to tuning boxes, I have a 2002 Leon SE TDi, it is a 5 speed and I am told it is 100bhp. I have no idea about pd or 8 or 10 pins etc.

I have looked at the Dragon/MrHoot boxes (which vary in price for some strange reason), van Aaken Smartboxx and the cheap ones on ebay. that are available for about £20 - £30.

Can I expect a bit more grunt through the gears and no change in mpg if driven normally?

The 130 is about a secoind quicker to 60 than the 110 so Id hope for a lot of grunt.

Last edited by a moderator:

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Being a 2002 I'm guessing it's a 110 non PD, to which you can easily modify to anywhere beween 130 - 150bhp using a plug in box or a new chip in your ECU (or a re-flash of your existing ECU if you're feeling generous). A second off a 0-60 time on a Diesel is quite a lot as they are low revving and a tuning box/chip will easily give you that quicker 0-60 and being as the diesel is so low revving you will really notice the difference in day to day driving.
A tuning box is going to give most noticeable gains in the higher gears when the turbo cuts in around 2000rpm and generally the torque will die off a bit as you get past 3000rpm but you will notice much much more pull right through the power band.

Yours will have a 10 pin connector by the way if it is a 110 non PD. The plugs changed around 2000 model year.

dilated

Im really tempted to try out a cheap box, I will hopefully going for a more powerful diesel next summer, maybe a 150 cup or maybe a v6 or new 2.0 engine.

1 second upto 60 is a lot and there would be a lot of differance on the move, anybody got a comparison?

Does a chip cause problems with t/c?

TDCupra

Mar 4, 2004
Kent
Visit site
dilated said:
Im really tempted to try out a cheap box, I will hopefully going for a more powerful diesel next summer, maybe a 150 cup or maybe a v6 or new 2.0 engine.

1 second upto 60 is a lot and there would be a lot of differance on the move, anybody got a comparison?

It depends how you drive it and weather conditions. I had a Tunit V-CR from Bromleys and if I booted it in the rain the T/C light came on in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It used to come on more from a standstill too.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
dilated said:

Nowt wrong with trying a cheap tuning box if that's what you want as if it doesn't satisfy your quest for power you can always sell it on again and try a chip, a chip at the end of the day is usually dead money as it can't easily be sold on like a tuning box, but does give a better power delivery IMO.
A 110 TDI with a good map would probably be more satisfying than a standard PD in that it's power delivery would be more aggressive.
When you're looking at upgrading to a PD engined TDI, which is an expensive bit of kit, I would advise putting your money into a good quality re-map for one of those though.

TDCupra

Mar 4, 2004
Kent
Visit site
hdi_d turbo said:
how was this unit on the 150?, and what made you decide on the revo code instead??

cheers

I wasn't impressed with the Tunit to start with. I had it laptop tuned about 4 times before I was happy with the results. I used it on my BMW 320td. Once tuned right there was a hell of a lot more torque lower down the rev range and the Tunit was adjustable (7 diff jumper positions). To get the most out of the unit I had the jumper set to pos. 5 which meant it was chucking in a hell of a lot of fuel and I noticed the increase in soot. I tried it on pos. 6 and I had to pull over and put it back to 5 because it was smoking so much.

I sold the Beemer and bought the Leon Cupra PD. I went for the Revo over another Tunit because of all the great response people gave on this forum and the Revo was less hassle-all the power straight away, no having to laptop tune time and time again to get the desired effect. With the Revo-BANG-it's there, the Leon is so much faster than the Beemer ever was, the only thing I miss is the better handling of the rear wheel drive. :thumbup:

FabiaTDi

VT5 :D
Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Recently bought a resistor mod box from ebay lkie this one and I must say I am impressed.

Apart from a touch of smoke if you floor it from low rpms, I cant fault it. Very smooth delivery and economy has improved.
The thing is it feels significantly quicker than the Tunit I have (although the Tunit can be adjusted)

I'm waiting for a CEL as I've heard you sometimes get one, but 1000 miles after fitting its fine. Fingers crossed!

:thumbup:

ANRO

Aug 17, 2003
Switzerland
Visit site
FabiaTDi said:
Recently bought a resistor mod box from ebay lkie this one and I must say I am impressed.

Apart from a touch of smoke if you floor it from low rpms, I cant fault it. Very smooth delivery and economy has improved.
The thing is it feels significantly quicker than the Tunit I have (although the Tunit can be adjusted)

I'm waiting for a CEL as I've heard you sometimes get one, but 1000 miles after fitting its fine. Fingers crossed!

Well done mate. If its exactly the same as mine it will be set at 150OHMS. Take a search to find my Dyno Plots from this box. I have encounterd no problems what so ever.

FabiaTDi

VT5 :D
Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
ANRO said:
Well done mate. If its exactly the same as mine it will be set at 150OHMS. Take a search to find my Dyno Plots from this box. I have encounterd no problems what so ever.

Cheers ANRO - it would be great if mine was putting out the same sort of figures as yours! - certainly impressive from my butt dyno and thats before you even take the price of the box into consideration... :D

faboka vrs

Mar 26, 2004
Liverpool
FabiaTDi said:

Nice one :thumbup:

Was it you who PM'd me from Briskoda?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise