Tuning the 1.8 20VT FR Engine?

ee01akk

Hi,

Can someone tell me the safest, most reliable way of tuning this engine to maximise performance through ecu remapping and other modifications? What realistic gains can I expect in bhp and torque- and what figures for 0-60 and top speed can be expected?

Also what drawbacks are there in terms of costs of tuning, reduced fuel economy, effect on brakes, clutch turbo etc??

Many thanks.:)

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
The usual - increase breathing (Forge TIP, smoothed airbox, better panel filter/induction kit), decrease backpressure (Less restrictive downpipe, hi flow cat on the exhaust), increase air density (front mounted intercooler) and remap the ECU. You can get upto about 240-250 max on the KO3s (Cupra), I think the FR has the KO3 turbo? So probably a bit less.

But just a remap will make a big difference. You won't notice any difference in fuel economy except if you drive it harder :) Clutch will be ok. Turbo will be ok if its remapped by a repuatable company. Brakes are worth upgrading (Cupra or TT brakes) anyway.

AndyHazza

Ex-Awesome GTi Staff
Mar 30, 2005
Bolton
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
The K03 is probably good for 220bhp tops really. A remap is the best place to start, it give the biggest 2"bang for your buck" as nothing else will give you as much of a power increase for the same amount of money, everything else after is little bits for lots more money. It all really comes down to budget, you can only go as fast as your wallet will let you :)

ee01akk

The K03 is probably good for 220bhp tops really. A remap is the best place to start, it give the biggest 2"bang for your buck" as nothing else will give you as much of a power increase for the same amount of money, everything else after is little bits for lots more money. It all really comes down to budget, you can only go as fast as your wallet will let you :)

So if I just wanted a simple Stage 1 ECU Remap, how much extra bhp and torque would I get- would I get near the 200 bhp mark? Would rev limiters need to be adjusted and would I need a longer ratio gearbox for higher speeds?

brwmogazos

Interceptor
Apr 19, 2006
South Greece
Revo stg 2 (ECU with boost 9 and timing 9 if possible-use Vag com to log)

Forge TIP

Bosch F5DP0R spark plugs,

Forge 006 or 007 BOV

Pipercross cone filter

70mm DP, decat, single muffler, 63.5mm cat back is the way to go mate...

I am using this setup and its what u can do to get the max out of your turbo.

Could use lemmi in order to push things a little further but you need good fuel (anyways) and many many many logs to be sure the car is running safe without many CF etc.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Id be suprised if it was only a k03 rather than the s.

I know Skoda and VW used the K03S on all the 1.8T's after 2001 even the 150bhp models in the end.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Ok so let's say that I went for just a remap and was close to 190 bhp on the remap alone, what would the stats be for 0-60 mph, top speed and rpm @ top speed?

Thanks.

:lol: RPM at top speed will not change as the wheels and gearbox are linked I believe... ;) Top speed will not change but you will see an improved 0-60 time.

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
It will feel different to drive and accelerate quicker. 134mph is max speed on the FR, that not fast enough? ;)

ee01akk

It will feel different to drive and accelerate quicker. 134mph is max speed on the FR, that not fast enough? ;)

The performance is disappointing for an engine this size and with a turbo. Top speed should be around 140 ideally.

I think the Civic Type R is better.

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
The Type-R has no torque compared to the 1.8T. The turbo is designed to give the extra power so you don't necessarily have to rev the hell out of it and lose economy. Get it re-mapped and it will give you even more power at the top end still be economical. My mate has a Type-R and he gets 24mpg driving where I get 32! Plus he has to wait for it to warm up before the VTEC works, and before that it is a pain to drive. Each to their own tho.

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
The best remap I've seen on an FR is 225bhp / 320nm done by SKN.
I got 213bhp myself running 1.2bars of pressure. You brits can figure out the numbers on google if you can be arsed :p
The difference in driving a standard vs remapped car is HUGE!
The low down power is immense due to the torque increase, and at about 2500 - 3000rpm it'll really kick in. On wet roads I'm still able to make the ESP flicker in 3rd gear at 50mph :p

For some odd reason most tuners here in Denmark only make about 185 - 190bhp on any 1.8T. I'm not saying of them haven't got a clue about what they're doing, but I dont think many actually know the Ibiza's run the k03s instead of the old k03 turbos.

ee01akk

The best remap I've seen on an FR is 225bhp / 320nm done by SKN.
I got 213bhp myself running 1.2bars of pressure. You brits can figure out the numbers on google if you can be arsed :p
The difference in driving a standard vs remapped car is HUGE!
The low down power is immense due to the torque increase, and at about 2500 - 3000rpm it'll really kick in. On wet roads I'm still able to make the ESP flicker in 3rd gear at 50mph :p

For some odd reason most tuners here in Denmark only make about 185 - 190bhp on any 1.8T. I'm not saying of them haven't got a clue about what they're doing, but I dont think many actually know the Ibiza's run the k03s instead of the old k03 turbos.

I still think dumping all that power into a front wheeled drive car, with a light body and suspect handling, is just asking for trouble.:headhurt:

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
213hp isn't harsh at all, and the handling of an ibiza isn't tricky either, it's the typical understeer of a FWD car if you push it, then lift off the throttle and it'll sling the back around. Even with the ESP off, it's never really "off". The car is amazingly hard to really get into thouble with in my opinion.
Now, a 350bhp Leon Mk2 on the other hand is quite a handful :p

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
Tim Schrick from the german motoring show D-MOTOR says the handling is good, but not as sporty as he'd like, but with very precise steering. Tim drives touring cars and I'd like to think he knows what he's talking about ;)
Video of him on the tube in an Ibiza Cupra TDI vs Audi Q8 shootout.

ee01akk

The Type-R has no torque compared to the 1.8T. The turbo is designed to give the extra power so you don't necessarily have to rev the hell out of it and lose economy. Get it re-mapped and it will give you even more power at the top end still be economical. My mate has a Type-R and he gets 24mpg driving where I get 32! Plus he has to wait for it to warm up before the VTEC works, and before that it is a pain to drive. Each to their own tho.

Yea but it's more fun hehe!:D

But yes Ibiza fR has turbo power without the noise and saving fuel.

But handling wise, Civic is much much better.

ee01akk

213hp isn't harsh at all, and the handling of an ibiza isn't tricky either, it's the typical understeer of a FWD car if you push it, then lift off the throttle and it'll sling the back around. Even with the ESP off, it's never really "off". The car is amazingly hard to really get into thouble with in my opinion.
Now, a 350bhp Leon Mk2 on the other hand is quite a handful :p

Wow 350 bhp sounds crazy![B)]

If you search on youtube there's an Ibiza MK3 running about 400 bhp.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.