Tuning the 1.8 20VT FR Engine?

brwmogazos

Interceptor
Apr 19, 2006
South Greece
Οκ maybe in your country those little ibizas aint that popular but here in Greece they are very common and most of us buy them for their high performance motor.

I just visited 2 days ago my mate whose got an identical red ibiza cupra like my own and he recently spent 15000 euro in tuning his engine specificaly.

HKS hybrid turbocharge (GT 35 ***) aiming @ 600 HP and approximately 500 on the wheels.

This thing wasnt finished yet (need new remap) but up to 1.35 bar where we had a little go at, (max allowed by the external wastegates spring), that thing was screaming like nothing i have ever heard (Tial 44mm external wastegate)...

Most common tuning for those little ibizas is 1st stage tuning. Full remap that is with full exhaust etc.

There are many remaps out there. Unitronic, Revo, and many many more.

My ibiza has a revo stage 2 remap, with 4 bar FPR, running on b9 t8 or t9 depending on the circumstances (drag racing ), full FORGE tip (makes the difference right away with higher over boost and better performance especially when the KMs increase... Bosch F5DP0R spark plugs (give you better start up, more responsive throttle and less CF ), pipercross foam air induction (gives you a smile combined with the forge dv006 giving you a nice whooosh when you let go off the gas-ok not as good as open loop dv but is nice,) along with a 70mm downpipe (had a 63.5mm dp before-gives you better performance in high revs) decat and 63.5mm cat back with single muffler.

These mods will give you approx 240 HP and 37 Kg of Torque.

Had some friends dynoed the other day and these are the numbers approximately.
On the street, drag racing each other, either Revo (fine tuned) or Unitronic or any other custom will give you small to no difference at all if all of the cars are fine tuned.

Need to install the evo heat shield for the intake manifold and i am finished with this motor. No BT for me, as i would rather have a better car like Audi S3.

The over boost is 1.6bar and as the revs go up, it reaches 1- 1.1 bar at 6000 revs approximately.

Racing M3s e46 is fun since after 240 KM/h is where they will start closing the gap...

Max speed you can reach is 240-250 on a straight road, and 260+ downhill :).

Nothing new here, its very common arround here :)

caveo

Type R........ I eat em for breakfast. ( and yes they have f00k all torque , less than a 1.6 clio lol)

1663_92.jpg

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
The over boost is 1.6bar and as the revs go up, it reaches 1- 1.1 bar at 6000 revs approximately.
1.6? Ouch, that's a lot. If you drive it like a pig (which you should :lol:) i doubt it'll last all that long :p
I'm running 1.2 on mine.
I'd go for a bigger turbo for more power at less boost to the engine wouldn't wear that bad.
But hey, in Greece cars dont cost as much as here, so I guess wear isn't much of a problem.
A new Cupra costs just short of 40k £ here. I'd get a used Lambo for that in Germany.....:cry:

brwmogazos

Interceptor
Apr 19, 2006
South Greece
er??

i lived (studied Mech Eng) in England for 6 years and i know cars are a LOT cheaper over there...

Second hand ones especially are maybe 10 times cheper over there...

Only in rare occasions brand new cars are cheaper here.

Compared also with salaries here in Greece...dont forget that ;)

Nope...no probs at all with 1.6 over mate... i am just using revo remap...

There is NO problem whatsoever with those overboost values which are normal.

After 60 000 KMs the turbo may need changing any ways so...why not run full boost ;)

Everybody runs full boost arround here...Many of us play with lemmi for even lower advance timings provided that the CF in all cylinders remain low...

Tightening the WG nut is also another common solution for keeping higher boost in high revs...but i just dont like to overstress my turbo so i keep the stock WG settings myself.

Have you ever made any logs for O2, CF, WG duty cycle, MAF etc etc etc in your car mate?

Are you sure your car is running safe with the remap u used?

U can never tell unless you log often with different fuel, temp, and weather conditions...

i have already made several logs on different petrol stations to find the best petrol for my car...and i have loads more to do.

Many of us use custom remaps without knowing nothing about the health of our engines, which is v bad imo.

just needs time, patience and loads of petrol refils :p

brwmogazos

Interceptor
Apr 19, 2006
South Greece
Here is a pic of my engine bay for example...nothing new there...just another common engine bay...The induction filter should have a 10cm distance at least from the MAF, never lubricated in order to keep the MAF running for a long time...Cold air Feed... etc

Always running the engine without the engine cover, minimising the heat over the thingies over the spark plags-that increase the voltage which are very sensitive too...maintaining a lower engine room temperature...During summer removing also the rear sealing rubber of the engine bay towards the windscreen, reduces as well the heat levels of the engine bay.

These are only details, however many many things together make the difference. 100 octane fuel should be used at all times of course :p

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
I'm not from England buddy :p
Cars in England ARE cheap as hell ^^

No I never bothered reading out any data from my chip, it's a Turbochip remap and they've made a living off it for a long time here and selling their remaps for distribution around the world.
Wouldn't be surprised if some of the brand names run their remaps.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members