turbo advice for 1.8t comp safari offroad racer

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
dont know where to start is so ill keep it short.
ive had a few 1.8t cars ibiza, golf etc and an r32t
but im now building a comp safari off road racer, my current car has a pitiful 220bp 3.9rover v8.
now with the new car im building i wanted to go against the grain, low weight small engine big power.

so, im running a 1.8t coupled to a nissan 350z gearbox to a landrover lt230 transfer box to make it 4wd.
the weight is to be sub 1300kgs ( keep in mind its running land rover discovery 2 axles and 12" travel fox remote res coil overs) so weight reduction is limited.

im after a turbo that spools quick and about 330-350bhp.

im hoping the gear ratios will keep me far enough up the rev range to keep it on boost.
e.g 1st gear is 22.365:1
2nd gear 13.690:1

ive been looking at options a d what to people think of the 2.0tfsi k04 turbo mounted to the 1.8??
space isnt an issue the engine sits quite a way back in the car, the rear of the rocker cover is about 7-8" in side the cab. so exhaust manifold positions arent an issue.

has any one had any joy fitting one of these, or have any other suggestions that wont break the bank!

Thanks in advance
alec

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Is it for high speed runs or hill climb type events?

Torque can be an issue with the conrods and certain crank numbers in the 1.8t engine.

The k04 from the earlier audi TT fits straight on to the longitudinally placed 1.8t engines but it yields 250-270bhp add -on dependant and maybe 320-330 bhp on a hybrid.

I'm not sure about the k04 off the newer 2ltr tfsi.

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
Hi, thanks for the reply.
It is for cross country type racing. Usually a course between 3 and 6 miles where we do a set number of timed runs.
If you YouTube comp safari it gives an idea.
I'm ideally looking for a power and torque figure around the 330-350 mark. And after reading aa thread about an a3 track car running the 2.0tfsi turbo with good results it seemed a logical answer.
However I'm very open to other suggestions if any one has any.
Thanks

L16YDW

Big Beefy Boy
Dec 1, 2014
Norfolk
Very interesting!

I was heavily into my Land rovers a few years back and love a good Comp safari, used to help setting out and marshall a few events with the local LR club. My fav comp motor was running a BMW 6 pot TD with gas injection and was seriously rapid!

I only managed to do RTV trials, quite sucessfully too, 20+ events all with trophy finishes!!

What else have you done to the engine? You running a baffled sump etc?

Ant pics??

Last edited:

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
Had a few days on it recently. The engine is in, mounted 13 behind the front axle. Radiator and intercooler are mounted. The spaceframe is a 3m but I've altered a few bits to get it how I want. The engine is mounted to the 350z box which is all mounted in place. The drivers floor frame has been made, the original alloy one has been removed and the new carbon fibre one will be going in over next week or so. Drivers seat mounts are in. Still a long way to go. Suppose to be ready for may. But can't see it myself.

I need to host some pictures and do a build thread but im crap at that stuff.

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
Need to sort hosting some pictures. Any one any ideas
Had 10 hours on it today. And managed to set fire to my overalls with the plasma cutter . Oops

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
Need to sort hosting some pictures. Any one any ideas
Had 10 hours on it today. And managed to set fire to my overalls with the plasma cutter . Oops

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I find it a bit fidely using photobucket so maybe someone may have a better idea. You sign up to photobucket, put your photos on to your computer then up load them to photobucket. When you do a post on here you make a link to your pohoto in your photobucket account which I find easier when the photobucket website/account is open in another window. Hope that helps.

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire

This is what it was like when I brought it . It's a brand new 3m frame which has been built and then added to for various brakes etc. It was built with an r 380 manual landrover gear box and td5 diesel but they were removed before I purchased it.
The Fox coil overs are 12" travel and are brand new.

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
[img=http://s9.postimg.org/dizl5sxl7/IMG_20141129_WA0002.jpg[/img]

[img=http://s1.postimg.org/bcdiezmxn/IMG_20141129_WA0004.jpg[/url][/img]
I got it home and set about making some alterations. Like removing the rear air dam as we won't be running a rear rad. Also removed the side bars as they were added after the frame was built and not in proper roll cage tube, plus I couldn't get in.
We then spent 6 hours cutting other not required brackets.
We also removed the floor as the chequer plate floor was to heavy.

Then it was mounting the engine and box. I brought the mock up engine,350z box and adaptor from dave billings at tornado motorsports who previous has it mocked up in the back of one of his frames.
I removed the shock absorbers so I can mount t the engine,box etc and line to the propshafts up at its worse angle.

Anyway many hours or measuring and more measuring and it was in.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/a522xgaz3/][img=http://s11.postimg.org/a522xgaz3/20150110_193750.jpg[/url][/img]
then came mounting the rad and cooler. Then the new floor braces, as well as seat mounts.
I will be using a rakeway modified transfer box which will contact from the 350z gearbox via a very short propshaft.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/j9e9wyue5/][img=http://s22.postimg.org/j9e9wyue5/20150110_191255.jpg[/url][/img]

[url=http://postimg.org/image/o5xvkpxg9/][img=http://s4.postimg.org/o5xvkpxg9/20150110_193637.jpg[/url][/img]

[url=http://postimg.org/image/w39tlsfyz/][img=http://s1.postimg.org/w39tlsfyz/20150110_193722.jpg[/url] [/img]

Last edited:

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
7AwGpi.jpg

Q0VqQH.jpg

UNfOKn.jpg

cbouIf.jpg

and a few of the old/present car

lymn7C.jpg

8BTzAT.jpg

d6iXE1.jpg

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
350z box a decent box to have?
nice to see it mated to a 1.8t...

this could be popular for some folks... bell housing adaptor setup etc

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
350z box a decent box to have?
nice to see it mated to a 1.8t...

this could be popular for some folks... bell housing adaptor setup etc

To be honest the chose was already made for me, as Dave Billings at Tornado motorsport had already had the adaptor made up by Rakeway engineering in Cheadle.
I looked into it before purchasing the lot and the CD009 prefix boxes are apparently the ones to go for as the week syncro on the earlier ones was a pain. This thankfully it a CD009. Its a popular conversion for supra's skylines etc in the drifting world and figures of 600-900bhp have been floated about on standard internals. When you look at the insides of them they are quite beefy.
None of the standard landrover gearboxes are rated to high enough torque so they were out of the question. It has however caused some issues as the transfer box has now got to be remote mounted.

The passenger floor and seat mounts were put in place last Wednesday night, alot quicker then the drivers side as id got something to work from.

8U28l7.jpg

This is so far the only thing thats been fully welded as the rest is just tacked in place, my ,mate is a welder by trade with 20 odd years experience so i just leave him to that. But for some reason I decided weld this one myself, maybe as its the navs seat mount it didnt worry me as much.

XTKu5k.jpg

spent about 3 hours measuring and setting up the rear suspension. i didnt like the original rear shock mounts, dave over at tornado motorsport also mentioned it would cause unnecessary twisting of the original mounts due to the distance from the hoop. so within 20 minutes a 9" slitter disc and a good friend it was all removed.
U4TlIr.jpg

the new mounts will be taken from the rear roll cage diagonals, this will however mean some additonal bars need to be fitted from the rear diagonal to the chassis. (blue book)

my mate made a template and cut them out at wok in 3mm steel plate, i then set about welding them in place, after plenty more measuring so as to be in the correct position when the car is sat on its bump stops (we need 20mm of shock travel left so as to not damage the shocks by bottoming them out) and as the rear diagonal runs at 2 different angle from the chassis to the main hoop it was a bit of a fiddle. then a 1mm plate bent over the top to box it in, this is only tacked in place for now as the mounts need to be fully welded.

U72Uj6.jpg

lxvGhp.jpg

7Ls6E7.jpg

The had a few hours this Monday night where e fitted the passenger side rear shock mount. and some more work on the rollcage.

ctJG1T.jpg

T2EXVC.jpg

Heading up after work today with my mate to get the rest of the cage and the rear suspension supports finished.

In other news my adaptor plate for my k04-064 turbo to 1.8t head has arrived so ill mock that up tonight and measure whats needed for the exhaust.

Last edited:

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
brief update of where we are with this. not had chance to update any build threads.
index.php

index.php

index.php

G60 flywheel. and vr6 cover plate. vr6 sized clutch with Nissan 350z centre spline
index.php

We then cut off the original fitting from the k04-064 turbo and welded a 70mm elbow onto it, so it can be easily connected to the intercooler with a 180degree hose
index.php

This shows the Nissan 350z mounted upto the lt230 remote transfer box and the ecu in its new home.Ecu tray has DEI gold stick on reflectaheat to the underside and a 10mm rubber mat to the ecu side.
index.php

TB to intercooler pipe work made up just need the RV valve outlet and MAP sensor.
index.php

Any how brief spec list of bits done.
Audi a small port inlet. Modified by welding the tb holes and drilling and tapping to accept a s4 tb and then bored out the Inlet to 70mm.
3" exhaust.
K04-064 turbo fitted.
70mm boost hoses.
Carbon floor is in.
Fuel and brake lines all braided and fitted.
Custom mounted lt230 transfer box fitted to the nissan 350z gearbox
New awesome gti red coils.
Idea on the frame colour. The pics above show it a bit on the dirty side its kawaski green with gold mica in the lacquer. the body panels will be purple.
index.php

index.php

standard discs drilled on my mates milling machine and then plated
braided lines all through with fiddle brakes for the back wheels as and when needed.

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
Forgot about this thread.

it's been a roller coater for sure. missed this season's racing now,and times been a bit short this past few months.
any how after a long list of issues it runs. short of it was the ecu was faulty and we had to modify the gearbox for the starter. as I've used a g60 flywheel and vr6 cover plate with a custom 6 paddle plate it many I had to use a Mk4 and audi a3 type starter. however the adaptor was made for a passat stater so it meant it turned the engine over the wrong way. so easiest option??
buy a Mk4 golf box. take a grinder to the nissan 350z gearbox and alloy weld them together.
end result bingo it fits. meaning the starter is factory.

I'll get some updated pictures up soon. as all that's left is a few bits of panel work. paint the body panels and finish the wiring.
then it's setup of the shocks and mapping

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
Not had much time recently to spend on the project. With work and life and then loosing the unit and moving it all back home.however this has meant I get some more time to work on it.
All hoses are now on and done.
Turbo is all plumbed in and ready.

142tyxj.jpg

zlosye.jpg

aviibo.jpg

Needed to do the inner arches to keep the mud out. Most of it will be done in alloy but around the boost hoses is a pain. So I made a mould and then did one from fibreglass. In this picture it still needs to be trimmed down but kit bad for a first try.

mn2hif.jpg

Sides are done and ready for paint. Internal panel work is mostly done

2h6hmpd.jpg

Biggest issue has been the connection to the gearbox. Adaptor has been made for ages however the input shaft on the gearbox was a good way off the clutch.
I'm running a g60 flywheel and cover plate with a golf outer nissan inner clutch.
Due to one thing or another I've had to have an extended clutch plate centre then a 11mm thick crank spacer made and now my mates just finished skimming 7mm off the adaptor plate. All this should mean it finally fits
2ry60pj.jpg

wc0ojp.jpg

28bqzcx.jpg

33z5zee.jpg

2d5po0.jpg

What it's now meant is the starter motor needs moving back 21mm. So back out with the box. Got down to 27 minutes and a beer for me. And my mate to get it out.

Then chopped the starter section back out. This part is what happens when you mate a mk4 golf and a Nissan 350z gearbox together. Took me ages to weld up but is now all chopped to bits again.
up but is now all chopped to bits again.

ekq6vp.jpg

Should have that back in this week. Then it's prop shafts and it can the move undercuts own steam fingers crossed.
3328qx0.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members