turbo advice for 1.8t comp safari offroad racer

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
No where near as quick as it should. Not done as much as I should over the past 3 months as been mega busy at work and home.

Then other annoying thing is on the last car we knew all the bits to basically bolt together like a big mecanno set. With this one its a bit different. It's almost research and development then design and fabricate. As far as I'm aware I can't find any info on the net to anyone else being daft enough to fit a 1.8t to a Nissan 350z gearbox running via a modified landrover transfer box. So it's all trial and error. Never mind keep ploughing on.
The next goal is to have this thing leaving number 11's up the block paved drive over Christmas

beezaturbo

May 9, 2006
Staffordshire
Few random pictures of the past few months.
Exhaust is turbo back 3" to a 2.5" back box

qqbfap.jpg

245j4zs.jpg

We didn't like how the turbo flange had welded so chopped it off and made a new one

v418q8.jpg

Welded up the boost pipes with the map sensor flange and rv take off

http://i66.tinypic.com/2u7c268.jpg[/IMG
The boss approved

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/2wqh8y1.jpg

Heat wrapped the exhaust as it's close to my leg. Also fitted gold film to the foot well.
34igvoi.jpg

The starter issue. We can't use the passat starter as it doesn't reach the g60 flywheel. So tried the golf one and low and behold it turns the engine over backwards . So spend 3 weeks looking into other starters but without going one off it wasn't going to happen. I didn't want to do that as if the starter fails it won't be an easy fix. The idea on this car is to build it with maintenance in the future not being an issue.

So I pulled the exhaust back off and chopped the side out of the nissan bell housing. Took some balls as these boxes are now 1k

Then get a mk4 golf box from the breakers for £40 and chop the starter mount then weld it to the nissan box. My first attempt at alloy welding with a mig

14nny55.jpg

A quick reminder of a low point tracing what I though was either a wiring fault or a component failure. Turned out to be a dud ecu. We could activate the components individually via the delphi diagnostics but it won't fire. So several days head banging we swapped the ecu and all was sorted

mr8gmv.jpg

Last edited: