turbo back opinions

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
hey,

i've been toying with the idea for months now and last night i spent most of my time browsing videos of people that have chopped the rear box for straight pipes(mufflertoc...somthing or other).

as most of my driving is city start stop revs usually stay between 1 to 2k.
is the turbo back option loud between these revs? i wouldnt mind if it got loud after say 2.5k but anything below i'd want quiet....

my car currently has a piper rs downpipe(no silencer) and jabba remap...

so should i go for a turbo back system or turbo to rear box like i have now but less restrictive...

cheers!

(current system: Piper RS downpipe (no silencer) going to standard rear box)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I have a Milltek DP and a Milltek Center Silencer and on full beans it does sound loud. Normal driving however its very civilised.

You essentially have got a turbo back system already Volvic. I would just get backbox and the remaining pipes to the DP. Should sound quite nice :)

Mar 8, 2007
IMO you need a box there somewhere.

I have decat with a sports backbox (about 1/2 the size of the original) and its quiet when cruising when loud when booting it.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
IMO you need a box there somewhere.

I have decat with a sports backbox (about 1/2 the size of the original) and its quiet when cruising when loud when booting it.
Yep agreed hence i went with the miltek centre silencer instead of their backbox.

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
have a dyno before and after.... im well excited now... like a child at christmas!!!

Volvic, please post results of before and after dyno runs, i had a turbo back miltek system fitted on friday and also had before and after dyno runs, quite disapointed with results to be honest, pulled 191 before and 194 after (at clutch) :(

Also a bit gutted that the sound isn't too noticable, originaly i was going to have the muflerectomy but was strongly advised against this as it would be silly loud :think:

I went for the large bore down pipe, decat non res centre section and the rear box, initially there wasn't very much difference in sound at all but, over the last few days i think it has "opened up" a little and now does seem to growl a bit more after 3K.

To be honest i think i am going to get a straight through rear pipe made up to give it the grunt that diesels lack .

Just thought i'd share my experience.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
i have the milltek full system, resonated as i travel motorways mostly + my little nipper often comes with me , so didnt want droaning noises again like my old car ,

the res option is pretty much standard noise but makes a difference, slightly deeper note , and on full pelt

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Volvic, please post results of before and after dyno runs, i had a turbo back miltek system fitted on friday and also had before and after dyno runs, quite disapointed with results to be honest, pulled 191 before and 194 after (at clutch) :(

Also a bit gutted that the sound isn't too noticable, originaly i was going to have the muflerectomy but was strongly advised against this as it would be silly loud :think:

I went for the large bore down pipe, decat non res centre section and the rear box, initially there wasn't very much difference in sound at all but, over the last few days i think it has "opened up" a little and now does seem to growl a bit more after 3K.

To be honest i think i am going to get a straight through rear pipe made up to give it the grunt that diesels lack .

Just thought i'd share my experience.

Do this if you dont mind noise!
I have a magnex with decat which leaves only the rear silencer, its very vocal at full throttle above 2500rpm
Glynn

Mar 8, 2007
^ Absolutely.

I would imagine that the noise would be unbearable with a decat and no rear box.

Its loud enough with sports rear box and decat IMO.

Any louder would just sound like a sadact.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
i got a vortex system done, 196bhp at the fly before and 198 after iirc

however the torque jumped by 20ft lbs!!!! i've noticed the jump too, can really feel it

will post up graphs once i've scanned them

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
^ Absolutely.

I would imagine that the noise would be unbearable with a decat and no rear box.

Its loud enough with sports rear box and decat IMO.

Any louder would just sound like a sadact.
Its not that bad actually. It quietens off after 3000rpm but low down has a reall growl to it.
I overtook the wife and she descibed it as similar to an RS4!!!
Glynn

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
well finally some graphs. i really like the noise of the exhaust. i posted up some videos previously of petrol ones and it got mixed reviews but i really wanted it. being on a diesel its very quiet.... apart from starting it theres a burble then it goes silent. only at around 2.5k can you hear the roar.

i'll try and get some sound clips when i get my car back!! these figures are with the turbo making a siren noise

before: Jabba generic map, piper downpipe (non-res) standard system from downpipe to rear box
SCAN0002.jpg

after: Jabba generic map, piper downpipe (non-res) torque exhaust custom downpipe to vortex exhaust
SCAN0001.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Nice gains of torque there mate and 1.2 more horses......they all count!!

Do you have any graphs of pre piper downpipe?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise