Turbo cutting out

wendyc

Hello people
I am new to the forum so hello to everyone!! I am hoping someone can help, I have a SEAT Leon 2.0 16v TDI Sport (55 plate ) it has 101K on the clock and recently when driving at 65 mph and above (never done it at low speeds), the turbo can cut out, if I turn the ignition off and on again the car is fine and back to normal. There seems to be a lag in power as well between 50-70mph, there is a 'wooooing' noise comming from the turbo aswell which only seems to be at lower speeds. I have been told that the turbo needs to come out but am not convinced by this and don't want to part with a load of cash if its not neccessary. Anyone had anything like this before??

pro00mo

Hello people
I am new to the forum so hello to everyone!! I am hoping someone can help, I have a SEAT Leon 2.0 16v TDI Sport (55 plate ) it has 101K on the clock and recently when driving at 65 mph and above (never done it at low speeds), the turbo can cut out, if I turn the ignition off and on again the car is fine and back to normal. There seems to be a lag in power as well between 50-70mph, there is a 'wooooing' noise comming from the turbo aswell which only seems to be at lower speeds. I have been told that the turbo needs to come out but am not convinced by this and don't want to part with a load of cash if its not neccessary. Anyone had anything like this before??

Ok maybe i can help with this stressful issue.......
I was driving on dual carriage way cursing happily, just as i hit 80mph my car went into limp mode for the first time and then the engine management light would came on. I stopped on side turned the ignition off and then back on all seemed fine again.
But this problem came back it happen for months and months, i took it to the garage (Halfords)£50 for diagnostic check, they fitted new MAF but the problem was still there, took it back to same garage and another MAF replacement with no luck same problem came back. Then i took it to another garage this time (Britannia, a lot more helpful)£35 for diagnostic, they recommended taking turbo out giving it a clean and putting it back again, due to sticky vanes very common on SEAT, so i have read and it only cost me about£40 although some people pay like £250!!.
Anyway way i took the car for a test run next day and i am faced with limp mode again. By now said to myself i had enough and feared the worst thinking turbo must have been retired but still having hope i continued with my quest and decided to buy VAG COM diagnostic tool from eBay £20 a lot cheaper than going to a garage every time. Here is what i got…

Fault code 17965/ P1557; Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation
After some research i decided to replace N75 valve with new silicone hose but i didn’t replace all hose.
Did a test run i hit 80mph and same problem came back again but when i ran diagnostic scan tool the code changed to
17964/P1556 - Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation; then i bought the N18 Valve again replacing silicon hose this time all the rubber hose were replaced for silicon hose, after test run i hit 80mph, then 90mph and then 110mph.
Finally i was happy no limp modes no engine management lights, car felt like a rocket!!
The end.
I hope this helps.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Sounds like it's going into limp home mode. could well be detecting overboost due to sticky turbo veins (do a search) plenty of WD40 squirted into the correct area near the turbo and a good wiggle could well fix it.

You really need to get VAG-COM connected and get the fault code read so that you know what to post with next. If you get a code we can advise more. There may be someone near you with VAG-COM this will be a good start.

speters2001

Jul 30, 2011
Do any lights come up on your dash, i had same problem with my golf tdi was told it was turbo going because of the change in pitch of the turbo

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.