Turbo inlet and intake upgrades

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Did the pikey R600 mod myself a couple of days ago, can't say I notice any difference at all but not really pushed it :) Waiting on the full MST intake which includes the turbo elbow and hose.

Hoping for a little difference in but honestly it's mostly for some intake noise, car is too quiet with the new stock ST exhaust and no engine sound with Soundaktor disabled.

Reactions: paddy6789

Butty

Sep 7, 2018
This guy has loads of test results on inlets, elbows and air boxes.
http://mygolfmk7.com/turbo-inlet-pipe/
What comes over is the MST elbow and hose makes all the difference due to its larger elbow and bend diameter. All other elbows that match the std elbow dimensions but are a consant radius all perform the same in terms of air flow.
Air boxes don't appear to make any major benefit.

Reactions: JackB and Zer0

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
This guy has loads of test results on inlets, elbows and air boxes.
http://mygolfmk7.com/turbo-inlet-pipe/
What comes over is the MST elbow and hose makes all the difference due to its larger elbow and bend diameter. All other elbows that match the std elbow dimensions but are a consant radius all perform the same in terms of air flow.
Air boxes don't appear to make any major benefit.

Yup those tests got me interested in the MST kit in the first place :) Then I saw pics by @KernelOkey in his build thread and it looks great too. The intake itself I just wanted purely for sound.

Reactions: Butty

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Mst pipe worth to fit without remap or another mod?im not a rolling start guy so like engine work from low rev.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Mst pipe worth to fit without remap or another mod?im not a rolling start guy so like engine work from low rev.

From what I've read it's mostly useful for mid-range and high revs. However, should improve throttle response regardless.

On an unrelated note: Does anyone have the part no of the old style breather hose that connects to the turbo inlet? The one you press on the sides.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
@KernelOkey Hmm do you remove the turbo elbow first in order to pry off the breather hose or is it possible to do when it's still attached to the turbo? I have the new type of breather hose.

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
@KernelOkey Hmm do you remove the turbo elbow first in order to pry off the breather hose or is it possible to do when it's still attached to the turbo? I have the new type of breather hose.
Found it easier with the inlet on, if you have a second pair of hands you can do it with inlet off. Pull and turn at the same time, its on there as a mofo lol

Reactions: Zer0

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Haha OK many thanks, will give it a go tomorrow when I get the kit :)

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
DSC_2149.JPG

Oooh shiney.

JackB

Jan 18, 2020
Looking good - I have one of these ready to fit too. I'm not sure it will do as well as a full R600 on temperatures but as linked above, looks like it flows a little better and it cost me much less than a full Racingline intake would.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
@KernelOkey I get quite a bit of "mechanical" noise down low that I didn't have before, almost sounds like metal scraping. Normal? Haven't touched the turbo at all.

JackB

Jan 18, 2020
I'll listen out for it, I've only just fitted mine (fitted the Turbo outlet too, if you got that?) and done a couple of test miles - can't say I heard anything metallic sounding.

I will keep an ear out for it as I do more miles.

You've not dropped a socket in the engine bay to rattle around have you? :happy:

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Cheers. Hehe nope no socket. It's probably normal anyway, just me being overly cautious.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.