Turbo Making Whistling Sound at 2000rpm and Headlights Steaming Up

murtagh_sean

Aug 2, 2007
Eglish, Co. Tyrone
Lately I have been noticing that my TDi Leon has been making a whistling sound once it reaches 2000rpm then it goes away once the revs go up to near 2500rpm...does anyone know why this might be or any possible ways of fixing it?

Also I have a set of Angel Eyes installed and when I came to my car one night I noticed that the passenger side headlight was all steamed up but the drivers was fine...kept an eye on the situation for about a week and a half and both were still the same - one being steamed up and the other fine. Then after about two weeks I noticed they had swapped round now the passeneger side was fine (and still is) and the drivers side had now steamed up :shrug: So does anyone know what the cause could be or could it be just the bulbs??

Cheers guys :)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
As above, the whistle will be the turbo spinning up, they spin pretty quickly
VAG + steamed up head lights = normal, even for very expensive cars;)
Don't waste your time going to VAG with it as they will do feck all, fact

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
just noticed the whistle, thats the best sound you have :) better than the rattle for sure!

as for lights, i have steamy interiors now and again - but mine are dusty and need a clean inside, but as far as im aware they are sealed units so cant get a cloth to the inside lens :( frustrating when you have cleaned your car and you know the inside of lights are slighty dirty.

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
Lately I have been noticing that my TDi Leon has been making a whistling sound once it reaches 2000rpm then it goes away once the revs go up to near 2500rpm...does anyone know why this might be or any possible ways of fixing it?

Also I have a set of Angel Eyes installed and when I came to my car one night I noticed that the passenger side headlight was all steamed up but the drivers was fine...kept an eye on the situation for about a week and a half and both were still the same - one being steamed up and the other fine. Then after about two weeks I noticed they had swapped round now the passeneger side was fine (and still is) and the drivers side had now steamed up :shrug: So does anyone know what the cause could be or could it be just the bulbs??

Cheers guys :)

My headlight units have just started doing it and I have just fitted HIDS so had to drill a hole in the back cover for the cables. There is a bung to cover the hole but as soon as moisture gets in the unit thats it.

The only thing I can suggest is leave your lights on for a while and the heat from the bulbs should dry it all out.

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
I found the best cure for steamed up headlights when fitting my HID Kit on the ibiza.

Remove the light clusters, remove the bulbs and get a hair dryer and blast some nice hot air into the cluster until condensation has all evaporated. Refit the light clusters and bulbs etc and hey presto no more steamed up headlights - it cured mine and it was soo bad i thought the condensation would damage the bulbs etc.

Mar 5, 2007
Speaking of HID fitting.

You know you have to drill/cut a hole in the back of the panel to fit the rubber gromit. it says 25mm to ensure a snug fit with the rubber gromit. However, I needed to cut the hole to approx 27mm in order to fit the connectors of the cabling through.

Does this defeat the purpose, or did I completely miss something.

Oh, I haven't noticed any steaming headlights...yet.

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Speaking of HID fitting.

You know you have to drill/cut a hole in the back of the panel to fit the rubber gromit. it says 25mm to ensure a snug fit with the rubber gromit. However, I needed to cut the hole to approx 27mm in order to fit the connectors of the cabling through.

Does this defeat the purpose, or did I completely miss something.

Oh, I haven't noticed any steaming headlights...yet.

You'll be talking about the wide kinda rectangular connector that doesn't fit...thought this too, but you can strip it down a little (no pic's i'm afraid), just have a look at it, and it has 2 clips one on each side, and you can pop it off, poke throught the drilled hole, and then clip it back on.

If I get chance I'll take a quick snap & post it up during the day on Sat.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members