Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

turbo mish mash

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by Pimped up vario, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Pimped up vario

Pimped up vario Cordy Cruizer

Hi Bill. Was hoping to get your opinion on mating a k03 turbine housing and wheel to a k04-023 compressor housing and wheel in terms of what sort of a power band and peak power figure would be attainable and the susceptibility to surge. I realise that EGT are going to be an issue.There is very little to no constructive and conclusive information on this subject. I known that this isn't pertaining to your business or products and appreciate you taking the time to read it and hopefully answer.

Thanks, Samuel.

#1 Pimped up vario, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  2. ibizacupra

ibizacupra Jack-RIP my little Friend
    Forum Sponsor

no idea what that would produce... comp heavy relatively..

back pressures would be the thing..
    depends on how hard its turned up to as to what happens adversely..

have to ask why when there are several proven ways of getting k03 framed turbos up to 300bhp, if thats the desire

3. Pimped up vario

I have a k04-023 with a turbine housing that is cracked beyond repair or usefulness but has a good bearing housing and compressor housing and all good wheels. The k03 I have needs rebuilt bearing wise, housings and wheels are good. I'm planning to put a 360 deg trust washer and staggered step seal in it and get it VSR balanced and put it in the audi in the meantime. I was hoping to push for 260 bhp but I think that realistically it probably won't yield much more than a k03s turbo maybe 235 - 240 bhp at the very most. Basically the wife has told me not to spend any more money on it as she's fed up with the cordoba swallowing all the money for repairs :D. So I was just trying to consider an economic way to reach 250 ish bhp but I dare say I'll end up getting a new or refurbed k04-023 turbo. I like the width of the powerband that the k series turbos produce in the 1.8t engines and have read your evidence of the hybrids air flow capabilities in the logs you performed but to tell you the truth haven't quite grasped the jist of what you're saying in relation to the airflow logs versus the actual power graphs. I did see you say that the seat of the pantsometer is the best method to tell the difference in hybrid versus straight k04.

Thanks for the response. Samuel.

4. ibizacupra

ibizacupra Jack-RIP my little Friend
    Forum Sponsor

machine your k03 hotside to suit the k04 turbine and slap it together if the chra is ok. you will need to check fitment for some lugs on the k04 comp cover which will get in the way. check our lupo thread to see which bits

5. Pimped up vario

I will do. Very much appreciated and one of your intake manifold gaskets (forget it's proper name) will be going in eventually.

Thanks, Samuel.