Turbo Noise

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
Was supposed to lift my new car (2005 Leon TDI FR 150 with under 34k on the clock) yesterday but it wasnt ready so just got to take it for a test drive. The thing pulls like a train, much quicker than my old ST Mondeo! The only thing i noticed was the whistle from the turbo. Is this normal? All the other turbo diesel cars ive had never sounded like this, its nearly like a supercharger whine. There was no smoke or anything coming out the exhaust:confused:

Last edited:

coolypops

Tastes like chicken
Feb 14, 2009
The Emerald Isle
If it's mainly between 1500 and 2500 RPM (give or take) then yes it's perfectly normal.

I love having the window down in the summer and hearing it as you get that surge of power from the turbo...:D

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
Thats not too bad then, it seems to happen under 2500rpm or so. I used to have an R26 Megane and drove around with the window down all the time to hear the whistle from the turbo!

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Be grateful you don't have an audi then, they have managed to insulate the turbo noise so well, you cant hear it at all!

tester2305

yh i gotta fr 150, turbo whistle is awsome, never get bordd of tht lout hissing sound, love it

tomatkinson

I get the same thing from my 110 tdi thought it was something wrong with turbo as it was louder than brother 1.8t gti golf, but after reading it sounds like an awesomely cool feature of the car would av bought it just for it .

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
The Cupra TDI turbo definately makes a lot more noise than the LCR. Kinda miss it to be honest.

I'd often get the windows right down when going along a country road next to a wall and stay about 1,800rpm ppsssssssssssshhhhhhhh

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
Its not in the same league as my R26 Megane for the turbo whistle but its not bad! Picked it up on Monday evening but cant get good enough weather to get it cleaned yet

Richy!!!

May 14, 2008
Staffordshire
I asked the same question when i first had my TDi Cupra. I thought it was the turbo on its way out! Sounds awsome as it spools up from 1500 - 2500 rpm. If you change gear just as it reaches peak boost it sounds like it has a dump valve (tssshhh) sometimes its quite loud too! Especially when driving down a quiet road!! Its great!

yellowyellow

Read this thread earlier (I am a terrible lurker and a lazy contributor) and was intrigued. As soon as I got my Cupra TDI a couple of years ago I got a reasonable ICE install, which I make full use of, and have never heard the turbo noise.
Until tonight. When I've been driving around with the windows open and the tunes off thinking 'that sounds ace'. So, cheers to the original poster - seems it's not a fault, they all do it and it sounds rather good. Wahey.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members