Turbo Overboost / Mr Muscle

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Went for a remap yesterday and on the dyno they noticed a couple of issues, one being a CAM sensor fault code and the other being that the turbo was over boosting.

I’ve replaced the CAM sensor and the car seems to be starting quicker, there’s still an awful grinding noise just before the engine fires up so suspect the starter motor might need replacing.

Anyway, I digress. I’m wondering how well this mr muscle fix works in regards to spraying by it into the inlet and leaving to soak for a couple of hours. Is this just snake oil, does it just temporarily resolve the issue?

The mechanic at Awesome GTI was adamant that it meant replacing the turbo and that the mr muscle trick only works for a bit for the issue returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
I've never heard of the Mr muscle trick but if there is a genuine problem with the turbo, then I'd fail to see how just cleaning it with me muscle with "fix it" rather than just delay the problem

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Mr muscle is usually used for sticking turbo vanes, I wouldn't spray it down the inlet manifold.

Probably some confusion on my part there in regards to terminology. From what I understand the veins become built up with carbon and mr muscle can be used as to clean out the carbon build up thus no more turbo sticking.

I’m going to try it and then get a ODB reader as to monitor boost, may invest in VCDS as I know that cheaper readers won’t pickup all codes.

There’s no code at the minute for the turbo issue it was whilst on a dyno that the overboost could be seen. What I’m taking from that is that it’s not too bad yet, the technician that did the dyno said that it will be fine for normal use but for a remap the overboost could blow the turbo.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I've seen the trick on YouTube for sticking vanes. But the guys at Awesome GTi really know their stuff. I would see Mr muscle as a short term fix.

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
I've seen the trick on YouTube for sticking vanes. But the guys at Awesome GTi really know their stuff. I would see Mr muscle as a short term fix.

That’s true enough, I’m going to try it then monitor boost for a couple of months. If all ok, I’ll then get it back on the dyno and go from there.

If it’s still an issue after all that, I’ll consider my options. I’d probably go with a turbo recon.

Reactions: Legojon

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
Lad I worked with used it on his mk4 golf turbo had it 2 year before he sold it and had no problems after.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Lad I worked with used it on his mk4 golf turbo had it 2 year before he sold it and had no problems after.

That’s promising, seems it’s certainly worth a try. Cars costing me a lot to get right at the minute. Had it two or three months and so far the following has been found to be needed:

- Cambelt and waterpump as per service interval - £250
- Clutch bearing went, new Sachs clutch and flywheel - £500
- Awesome GTI found a error for the cam sensor, wasn’t sending any signal. No fuses blown so I changed the sensor - £26
- Starter motor issue, not fitted yet but have a replacement, I’m going to grease the replacement first - £17

Total: £793

On a car that cost me £2050

Guess a lot of it would be stuff that most car owners would ignore on an older car as I suspect they’d be running into the ground but there’s something to be said about an older car that’s been looked after and kept running.

I will say that the cars feeling great to drive and will feel better yet once more works been done.

Following left to do:

- Turbo sticking - yet to fix
- Suspected drop link replacement needed - yet to fix
- Few rust patches need repair, hoping to do this before winter sets in.

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
Yea sounds like mine money pit lol hope you get it sorted bud

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Don't grease anything on the replacement starter motor. It'll just clog up with clutch dust and cause problems.

Does your engine have a VNT turbo? If so check the vanes move smoothly and that the vane actuator is fully working.

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Don't grease anything on the replacement starter motor. It'll just clog up with clutch dust and cause problems.

Does your engine have a VNT turbo? If so check the vanes move smoothly and that the vane actuator is fully working.

From what I understand they’re greased out of the factory and the grease dries up over time which I think is the problem with the starter I’ve got in the car at the minute.

Not sure about it being VNT but from what I’ve read a common issue is the veins becoming clogged with carbon thus also impacting the actuator.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
From what I understand they’re greased out of the factory and the grease dries up over time which I think is the problem with the starter I’ve got in the car at the minute.

Not sure about it being VNT but from what I’ve read a common issue is the veins becoming clogged with carbon thus also impacting the actuator.

Yeah that's my point. Get a vacuum tester and check the actuator works properly and the vanes move smoothly. The actuator is external to the turbo and can be replaced separately if required.

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Yeah that's my point. Get a vacuum tester and check the actuator works properly and the vanes move smoothly. The actuator is external to the turbo and can be replaced separately if required.

Cheers, I’ll keep that in mind should the cleaning of the turbo not work.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.