Turbo problem

Aug 14, 2019
So my seat Leon fr cr170 has thrown up a turbo underboost code. When it's started in the morning there's no turbo and once I get to third gear the glow plug light flashes and sends it into limp mode. Pulled over and restarted the car and it was fine, turbo back running and everything feeling smooth. Took it to the garage and got the intercooler replaced as it had a couple of holes in it. Mechanic said he had checked all the turbo over and everything else and all seems fine. Got the car back yesterday and this morning it did the same again and again this afternoon. Garage seems a bit stumped as it only does it once you start the car and is fine when restarted. Anyone else had a similar problem or any ideas as to what could possibly be wrong?

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
Had an issue very similar to how you describe

I got a P0299 code come up for an underboost condition

The turbo actuator had failed (or specifically the diaphragm within it)

I was losing pressure under moderate or hard acceleration. Pretty sure (as others have mentioned on the forum) that a vacuum test can be done

Hopefully that will confirm if there is no pressure loss etc

Did the garage scan for codes?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Aug 14, 2019
Seems a little odd though that it's only when the car is first turned on? It never loses power mid journey or after I've turned the car off and on.
When I first took it to him the code had been wiped by a friend so he couldn't get it back, luckily it came back up when i took it back last night so hopefully he can find out today what's going on
Will update when he calls

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members