Turbo timer

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
I have seen a nice Turbo Timer that im interested in aquiring and was wondering if anyone has had experience of fitting these to a MK4 130derv??

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Andy

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
IIRC from previous discussions, the concensus is that they're not of much benefit to TDIs...

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
I thought i heard that before, but ive been offered this one very cheap so i may go for it!!

How exactly do they work??

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
from wat i know (not much) they bypass ur ignition in a way so that when u remove the key ur engines for a preset time , i saw one being fitted to a fucus RS , the timer (HKS) had only positive , negative , handbrake earth and an ignition connection , dunno how this would work with the vag immobiliser centrsal locking tho

andy do u have the oil temp guage , wat i do is to let my engine sit for about 30 secs b4 shutdown as long as the temp is below 90 , (running temp) if it is above this i wait tilll it is below this , the last 5 minutes of every journey is took at low beans, helps drop temps

Last edited:

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
yes fella , forget the price of the add on , tho 190 fitted is familiar , on my old system , u couldnt use it as a turbo timer as such , basically u hit the * button and then locked and the car just kept runnin , tho alarmed , all i did was a few mins later in the house hit the * button again that killed the engine, so isnt automatic as such , u used intellistart b4

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
i had it on a concept 300 , this is the old type alarm , onto the 350 450 etc now maybe its changed

is wat ur after

is it ians timer u have seen by any chance

Last edited:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
andy dont bother, i dunno about your place across the lough but the last 5 mins of my journey home is 30 zones, thats plenty of time for the turbo/manifold to cool down, why mess with electronics needlessly.

Ibiza Evo 2

220,8hp and 351lbs/ft
Jun 1, 2004
get-me.to
quote from tdiclub.com :

The purpose is to give the engine a prescribed period of idling so that the turbocharger can be cooled by the engine oil (and coolant, in many cases) that circulates through it. (It has NOTHING to do with waiting for the turbocharger to "spin down". That takes a quarter of a second.)

Diesel engines have lower exhaust temperature than gasoline engines. At anything less than full load, the temperature is FAR lower. It is low enough that the turbochargers in these vehicles do not have a connection to the engine coolant system - only to the lubricating oil. Under most conditions, there is no need to wait for the turbocharger to cool down, and hence, no need for a turbo timer.

The only potential exception is if you are towing a trailer or operating the vehicle at close to top speed (i.e. 160+ km/h) on the highway or climbing the side of a mountain pedal to the metal. But in most cases, you don't just come straight off such full load conditions and stop. You trickle through neighborhood streets, or you wander through a parking lot in search of a spot. Usually this is more than enough time even if you're driving the car hard. And if it DOES take less than a minute measured from the time you first take load off the engine (still coasting out on the road) until you get to a parking spot ... just let it finish that minute at idle.

You don't need a turbo timer.

Triple D

I asked JBS about fitting a turbo timer when i was up there on monday and they said there's no point in fitting one to a diesel, more benifitial to petrols.

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
stoneyfordNI said:
i had it on a concept 300 , this is the old type alarm , onto the 350 450 etc now maybe its changed

is wat ur after

is it ians timer u have seen by any chance

Nope not his...was ebay!!

Needless to say, i think ill pass-maybe look into the Clifford dongle!!

@Brendy...My folks house in Jordanstown is just off the main road so most journeys the car goes virtually from 50ish to zero/off very quickly. However, i spend most time in Bang-er, so its more-or-less the same situation as yourself!!