Turn on dashboard lights via VAGCOM

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I have been advised to come down here from the Ibiza Mk5 forum to ask if...

... it's possible to turn the dashboard lights on permanently (i.e. with the ignition) as trying to see the speed / revs on a a bright day especially with sunnies on is hard! It's like staring into a black hole waiting for your eyes to adjust.

Yes, we could re-wire a live feed, yes we could just turn on the sides, but is there anything neater?

Thanks!

Jul 12, 2013
RETFORD
Not familiar with ibiza mk5 but if your local ill look for you, i know the audis do have 4+ options of lighting the dash and includes what you are looking for

Romigo

Mar 23, 2011
Scotland
Hi, did you managed to solve this issue . I also would need to turn that backlit on and also enable dimmed light indicator on the dashboard as in the UK is this indicator disabled by default setting for some reason

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Hi Romigo, No I never did get any further with this. As far as I'm aware there is no option in VAGCOM to turn on the dashboard lighting with the ignition. There are some sites that list the options available and this has never been on them.

So as one helpful forum member advised, I just turn the lights on when it's a bit dark in the car!

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
funny, isn't it? I just noticed today that with the auto lights "off" it was awfully dark on the dash......only turned them off so I could use windscreen washer without wasting water on the headlights:)

Romigo

Mar 23, 2011
Scotland
Hi, thanks for answering about the thing that is not possible to enable it by software. Yes there is the option tu run with lights turn on all the time as my wife does it on her ibiza. My cupra has a first generation daytime running lights which I preferer to use them to extend last of my HIDs bulbs. I have noticed that there is a permanent life feed to the light switch which is always backlit as long as the ignition is on. Therefore I belive that the switch feeds the power for the dashboard and others ( radio/aircon controler ) even as it has the wee dim button where it has to be fed thru. I have seen on another discusion the way how to get in to that switch and how to remove that switch and it seems to be pretty easy. The switch has wee removable connector and I belive if I would bypass on that connector the supply on the outlet for the dashboard that would be make the dashboard backlit on as long as the ignition would be on. Other thing is the bypassing the swich it would also bypass the dim button and the backlit would be on its maximum brightness what woudnt be optiomal for night driving. There still could be way to bypass it inside the switch it self to make it even thru the dim button. I will definetely look more at that.

Romigo

Mar 23, 2011
Scotland
Just had a look at it and its doable but it has few disadvatages and it might be just easier to keep switching on manually each time . Well sofar I findout how to do it on a standard three pole switch. I accesed the light switch connector by removing fuse box cover under the stering wheel and pulled out the conector by pressing a little clips on its both sides. I found out the swiched live cable on it and backlit positive outlet and made a connection between them by a little cable and thats it. Unfortunately its also activates side lights and its not dimmable by the button. Also had a look at a four pole switch where is also an AUTO mode but I wasnt succesful in there as it backlited the dashboard just particaly and not on the speed meter but just on buttons around as the cabeling seems to be there quite deferent because of a photocell involved...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise