twin turbo 1.8t - interesting

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
you probably also work with mechanical taps? hydrolic taps are limited tot +/- 7500 rpm.

i am still on hydro followers, raced 2 seasons, engine built in 2005 and ran to a previous 8200 limiter, now 9000rpm - yes i know i am pushing my luck and building a spare engine.

supertech valvetrain, springs and valves, Ti retainers etc.
{wonders off to touch some lucky wood}
:hide:

mechanical lifters on next engine<< more sensible

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
what blow thru throttle bodies? is that what you mean?
no benefit from multiple bodies to single large one, aside from throttle progression at very bottom end.

power plot looks as peaky as a regular single BT.
sequential turbo's have a curb appeal to fill in the sub 4krpm gap in power delivery of normal upper sized BT

KMS management is a clone/copy of DTA as I understand it, much as their throttle bodies are copies of Jenveys.

I hear both good and bad about KMS work myself. Interesting to see this twin setup tho.

:D

Which one would be "better" at low rpms? multiple bodies?

This twin turbo setup is parallel, though, isn't it? So effectively just one big turbo, with a wider, erm, "range"?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Which one would be "better" at low rpms? multiple bodies?

This twin turbo setup is parallel, though, isn't it? So effectively just one big turbo, with a wider, erm, "range"?

yea this one is parallel, and its power delivery looks just like a single large unit as best i can make out. sequential is what i would look for personally if at all. fill in the bottom end spool.

define "better"?

4xsmaller throttle would have slightly more control on letting in air volume vs a single large on in theory.. exposed area for every degree of movement @ the throttle

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Sequential turbos difficult packaging and difficult to setup though? Have to say, it would be cool, but easier/more reliable to just stick with what works.

I remember talking to John about sequential turbos, he was using phases like "You just..." a lot. It didn't seem that easy to me ;)

Celcius

i am still on hydro followers, raced 2 seasons, engine built in 2005 and ran to a previous 8200 limiter, now 9000rpm - yes i know i am pushing my luck and building a spare engine.

supertech valvetrain, springs and valves, Ti retainers etc.
{wonders off to touch some lucky wood}
:hide:

mechanical lifters on next engine<< more sensible

ok it is called lifters.. :) not taps. i use cat cams with the hydrolic lifters and HTT uses also catcams with mechanical lifters.
when changing from hydrolic to mechanic you also have to change the springs etc.

nice ibiza you have btw :drool:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
ok it is called lifters.. :) not taps. i use cat cams with the hydrolic lifters and HTT uses also catcams with mechanical lifters.
when changing from hydrolic to mechanic you also have to change the springs etc.

nice ibiza you have btw :drool:

my new engine will be mechanical lifters, but requires new catcams to suit. more ££ lol
not aware of a spring change tho. catcams do a lashcap shim type mechancial lifter kit of sorts i believe. still got to choose which ones i would like to use.

supertech valves/springs in the existing motor, and i will use them again (new ones not existing ones) in the new motor. served me well.

all the best

have a happy new year
:thumbup:

Celcius

van kronenburg has done the boring, balancing, etc but the rest is done by HTT and is owned by carlo himself

Mat

was joking about a Twin Turbo Mk3 yesterday, didn't know a Twin Turbo had already been done lol

DarkAge

one question: Why ? It's not practical, increases the complexity, doesn't justify the extra gains from a single turbo, and so on. The only reason it would be feasible and justifiable is if they were trying to be innovative and "different"

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.