Two-tier SEAT Cupra Championship in 2007

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The 2007 SEAT Cupra Championship will have two classes, with the new Leon Cupra challenging for the outright title and a top prize of £100,000, and existing Leon Cupra R able to line up on the same grid and race for a separate prize fund.Launched in 2003 to help develop British touring car driving talent, the SEAT Cupra Championship was initially intended to run in the UK for three years. Such was the success of the series in the first three years that it was extended until the end of 2006 and now the SEAT Cupra Championship will...

Read more at SEATCupra.net...

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
so 2 races in 1?or will the cupraR be able to score SSC points and (if possible) win the championship outright.
ok i know there is a big improvement in engine and chassis technology on the cupra ,but if someone qualified in a cupra R on pole,and held off to win the race,where does their points go towards? i'm confusing myself now(no not hard at all)

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
not sure how thats gonna work as the new Leon is just over 300 bhp and comes with a paddle shift box.

Com[pared to the old LCR version which is only 260 bhp and manual. Sure there gonna be lapped by the new ones very quickly

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'm one of the few people that's seen them out on the track at the same time. THe 'old' Leon driven by Darren Turner, the new one driven by an accomplished race driver (albeit maybe not DT's level)

DT got spanked.

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com
anyone who saw the old C1 and C2 classes in Endurance racing at the end of the 80's beginning of the 90's will know this is going to cause a few problems....

Should make things interesting though (although expect lots of wingey driver quotes:))

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
Start unfurling those blue flags all you marshalls out there!

It's a nice idea to keep the LCR's running (and more of you can still point and bluff that "I drive one of them" ;) )
It does reward loyaltyfrom teams and is probably good for brand visibility in the Pre-owned market as well, BUT the potential for carnage/shennanigans at the shorter tracks like Brands is obvious. Certainly worth watching though.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
And what incentive do old leon competitors have exactly?

Its like btc and production classes all over again just to boost grid numbers for the sake of it.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
it says in the release - they have their own prize fund to win (albeit not 100k)

i get the idea,but why have them in the same race? may as well chuck in a few clio's.
its 2 very different cars in one race,theres been some very different drivers in the same cars in previous events,and we all know how some drivers were lapped even with same power cars,really can't see it being good to watch at times.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Ahhh, but in 2007 Clio's change to running 36k cars (i think that's what they cost) not the cheap as chips 12k bangers that you could buy previously.

Plus the Leon Cupra Race car is far more of a 'touring' car than a hot hatch championship.

So what you have is an expensive hot hatch championship vs a semi touring car championship........ for very similar money.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members