tyre help needed asap

Matt_F

Aug 1, 2005
Crewe
right basically i got 2 new front tyres fitted back in march and only 9 months on they are down to under 3mm

i never thought tyres where that quuick

Car: 03 210 LCR
Tyre: Goodyear Eagle F1

what tyres do you use and how quick to they wear out

Matt_F

Aug 1, 2005
Crewe
nowhere near that much

ive had the car since sept 05 and only just done 10,000 miles now

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
My F1's wore down to about 3mm after something like 6k, replaced them at about 8.5k when they got down to the treadwear indicators.

The standard Pirelli's were crap, they wore even quicker than that!

Matt_F

Aug 1, 2005
Crewe
any1 wanna tell me what tyres are better than the eagle f1's and that will last longer than 6,000 miles

could do with knowing asap really as need to get me tyres ordered for when i get paid next friday

i can get 2 x dunlop sp sport fm901's for £175. will these be any better than the f1's?

cheers

MattR

Yellow...
Mar 18, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
Well the F1s come rated, but I paid £250 for 2 last November. I've done over 10k miles since and there is plenty of tread left. (They're on the front)

Ive just replaced the backs last week with Firestone Firehawk SZ80s - these were £179 fitted for 2.

The P Zeros get very bad when you're down to 3mm.

no-fear

Candy FR has been born!!!
Jan 24, 2005
Macclesfield
Having found myself a tad skint after forking out on the kids xmas pressies and servicing the LC this month I replaced all 4 tyres with 225/40/18 ZR Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's 2 weeks ago. So far well impressed especially in the wet (which is all we've had last 2 weeks), have been 'testing' them on a local car park. and for under £200 all in, I'm happy

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
any1 wanna tell me what tyres are better than the eagle f1's and that will last longer than 6,000 miles

could do with knowing asap really as need to get me tyres ordered for when i get paid next friday

i can get 2 x dunlop sp sport fm901's for £175. will these be any better than the f1's?

cheers

The FM901's are not UK spec, and from reviews I've read they're crap. Better off with F1's, only £95 from mytyres. I drive pretty hard which is why I don't get a lot of mileage out of tyres, you could easily get over 10k out of the F1's.

Georgie

WADDA YA WANT.. EH?!
Nov 27, 2005
FLEET
replaced the Pirelli p6000 with Toyo T1-R - good grip wet/dry, good wear rate, low noise, good price. have a look at http://www.tyretest.com

i have found them to be not all that helpful in the wet... and i went though a set of them in 4 months.. (2K miles a month)

have : parelli sport pilot 2 on there now and in the wet they are fantastic, like being on rails. also seem to be lasting longer as well. sidewalls still eventually go and they round off but the tread on the res of the tyre stays.

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
cheers guys

still seems strange as to why they worn after 6k miles though

Tyre wear is also relative to how you drive, if you're driving everywhere like you stole the car then you'll only get a few thousand miles out of a set out tyres.
I don't drive like Miss Daisy by any means but after 7k miles my GSD3's are only half worn on the front, so 14k miles would be about right for a set of front tyres from experience.

have : parelli sport pilot 2 on there now and in the wet they are fantastic, like being on rails. also seem to be lasting longer as well. sidewalls still eventually go and they round off but the tread on the res of the tyre stays.

I must have had a bad pair of pilot sport 2's on my LC a while back, they had reasonable grip in the dry but they were like slicks in the wet.
I've switched to GSD3's all round now, the grip is very good in the wet and dry once they're warmed up a bit.

Matt_F

Aug 1, 2005
Crewe
i dont drive like a rally driver and not like miss daisy either, lol

somewhere in betweeni guess

how much are the gsd3's and whats the difference between eagle f1 and eagle f1 gsd3's?

cheers every1 for your reply's

much appreciated

Last edited:

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
They're both the same tyre I'm just lazy and couldn't be bothered to type out their full name :D There are two types though, the XL version with the stiffer sidewalls and the non XL version. I got the non XL version, the roads around my house are very bad as it is so something that makes the rid harder isn't needed, I paid just short of £100 / tyre + fitting when I had them replaced.

Matt_F

Aug 1, 2005
Crewe
just been to garage and they said they should not wear that quick so i must be driving it quite hard.

asked em whats the best to get etc that will last meages and they said ya best gettin michelin's, quoted me £320 fitted for 2 on pilot ps2's

are they really that dear,haha, dont particularly wanna be payin that much but if i get some budget 1's they gonna cost about £200 ish for 2 fitted and then come summer time they will probs be needin get done again so wondering if its worth gettin the pilot ps2's that will last until after i sell it come aug/sept time

andycupra

status subject to change
your unlikely to get 'better' and harder wearing..
if you have 3mm left, you still have a good bit of life in them. (1.6mm is the limit right?)

however, if your saying you are wearing them out in 6,000 miles id say you have a heavy right foot / drive aggressively.
or failing that there is issues with the car. eg tracking.

how long have previous tyres lasted?

Matt_F

Aug 1, 2005
Crewe
ive only had the car since sept 05 and cant remember how worn the previous eagle f1's were, but they got changed back in march and now die for another change it seems

they at about 3mm, but when i turn corners goin slow the tyres feel like they are slipping and a bit bumpy

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.