Tyre pressures

BenH1993

Jul 12, 2019
On my way to the coast today the tyre pressure low warning popped up on the dash, I stopped and checked but everything seems to be fine and they are still going strong.

I'm assuming this is just a **** sensor fault? If so is their any way to reset it in the car at all without the need for a garage or obd11 etc.?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Mines done this in the past. Sometimes the car can get an errant reading. You can reset the tyre pressure system in the menu on the infotainment screen in vehicle settings. Once reset, it shouldn't bother you again but if it does, then get the tyres checked.

Degs

Feb 10, 2019
North Wales
Was your car carrying more load than it normally does ?, I've had the tyre pressure warning a few times and it's always when the car is laden,reset on the infotainment and no problems

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
On both mk3s I've had, one SE one FR, I've never had a warning no matter what's in the car. I've even deflated tyres on both cars and never got a warning so don't even know if mine are still there.

Degs

Feb 10, 2019
North Wales
You could deflate your tyres to next to nothing so long as you did all four the same you wouldn't get a warning,i believe
it works off the abs censor detecting one wheel rotating slightly faster than the others,as a deflating tyre does.

Reactions: Walone

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Scotty's right, it uses the ABS sensors to figure out the pressures. I can't remember if my car was fully loaded at the time. I checked the pressures and they were fine, just reset it on the dash and haven't had a warning since.

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
My mistake then, I bought some alloys for another car a while ago that used a sensor on the inside of the tyre that was attached to the air valve so I thought our cars might have used a similar system

BenH1993

Jul 12, 2019
Cheers lads I reset it in the end after checking everything and it's fine now

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
My car had thrown up a warning once, checked the tyre and looked fine and pressure fine. A few days later it blew and it had a nail through it. I think it detected something with the nail in the tread and I couldn't see it.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’ve had one false warning from the TPMS and that was at the time of year when overnight temperatures plummeted. I’ve read that extremes of temperature can trigger false alarms.

I check my tyres manually on a regular basis in the same way that I check the under bonnet fluid levels on a regular basis. It’s not unknown for all tyres to loose a small amount of pressure over time, and if this small pressure loss is the same in all tyres, the ABS based TPMS won’t detect it, as all wheels will still be rotating at the same speed as each other.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
The pressures aren't checked at all, it is the rotation of the wheel. Definitely have a good check on the tyre though for anything stuck in it.

I had to get a puncture repair done on a tyre couple of weeks ago when it beeped at me and saw a nail in the tyre, I was loosing pressure though.

Aug 18, 2020
Hope this is posted in the right place!
Had my Leon 1.8 TSI FR ( mk 3?) about 5 months now. About 3 weeks ago started getting the tyre pressure warning alarm ( along with the ECS Off alarm ) when the car stopped. It would clear again after restarting the car and driving a few metres. At first I thought it was just a sensor glitch. Eventually I checked the tyre pressures and the offside rear tyre had lost about 4-5 psi. Re-inflated the tyre and reset the warning alarm. About 5 days later the same thing again so got the off side rear tyre checked out, a nail found and the tyre repaired. Set all the tyres to the right psi and and reset on the screen.
For 2 days everything was fine but then today when I pulled up out side the house the tyre pressure warning alarm came on again along with ECS Off alarm, also lost the 'beep' for the reversing sensors. Check all the tyre pressures, all O.K. Drove the car up the road, alarms cleared and reversing 'beep' came back.
Can anybody tell me what is going on?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.