Tyre query

Worldy

Nov 5, 2018
I’m looking to put some 18” Michelin crossclimate+ tyres on my Seat Leon FR 2.0 TDI. Has anyone else done this?

The tyres on are 18” but also low profile and I’m worried about the tyre rubbing. I can’t really afford to change everything to 17” but could do with an all weather tyre.

Any advice?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I can't see them rubbing. My Cupra should be the same chassis and I'm running 19" wheels and lowered. Oh and I have spacers. And my tyres don't rub. I've seen MK2s even lower that don't have an issue.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
If you are going 18" eg...the same 225/40 R18 as stock tyres, I don't see why it would be an issue.

I guess if you go 225/45 or /50 R18, then it could pose a problem...

Or if you go 17" @ 225/45 R17. As far as I know, if you stick to stock tyre specifications, there should be no issues, even Cupra's 235/35 R19s...not sure Crossclimate come in Cupra friendly sizes though.

Of course there is also Goodyear Vector 4Seasons and Bridgestone Weathercontrol A005s to consider. Unless you are expecting snow as a given where you're at, then, GY or Michelin are better. If there's miniscule chance of snow, then the Bridgestones may be better.

Worldy

Nov 5, 2018
Likely to come across some snow as I cross the Pennines quite a bit and often drive at night. Just wanting to have a good tyre that stops short of a full snow tyre but will cope with the slush and a little bit of snow when it arrives.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Ah, then ok, forget the Bridgestone then, as reviews show very poor even worse than CrossClimates in snow. But of course it will still move you in the snow compared to Summers rubber. Of the lot, the GY and Nokia Weatherproof are best for snow and slush. There's a video somewhere of someone in a Cupra with Cross Climates having controlled fun in deepish snow...due to the way the tread is, they commented going forward is very decent, backwards however....not as great! So if you need to reverse up a snow covered hill on a frequent occurance...oh well..

Hope you have the winter pack, as snow covered LED headlights aren't much good...and no heat to melt them either!

Worldy

Nov 5, 2018
No winter pack but I’ll make do getting out and clearing the snow off if needed!

mestala

Nov 4, 2018
Well all I can tell you is that from my experience,proper winter tyres wayyy out perform so called all season tyres,been there and done it.
Nobody can predict how bad snow will be when they have forecast it,they all get it wrong some time.I think it's a matter of cost and working out how bad you might need winter tyres,different people have different thoughts.
I had Michelin Alpins when I was out in BG last winter and never got stuck once in very bad snow,ice and slush...that was only in a 2 WD hyundai.....by the way,I run them through half the summer before I took them off with loads of tread still on them....didn't act like a boy racer though.
It's down to the individual,and whether how important that journey or journeys are to them.
I know I'll be putting winters on a bit later on..which ones??..I don't know yet
Good luck with your choice

Worldy

Nov 5, 2018
Got the tyres fitted but 25 miles in the tyre pressure warning flashed up. Could this be a delay in recognising a different tyre and I just press set or might there be an issue with fitting? I don’t know if they set the tyre pressures when they fitted them and haven’t had a chance to check them.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members