Tyre ? Rear bearings ? noise at low speed ?

bobrob

FR TDI, 18 inch rims i think, 14 months old, 10k miles, At 20-40 MPh theres a (this is difficult) thrubbing - throbbing - humming type - speed related noise coming from the back.

The tyres look fine, and i cant feel aything loose or rough with the wheels jacked up.

Anyone else heard or seen this ?

I do wonder if its just a load of tyre noise from the fat rubber, that resonates at this speed. Its not there at walking speed, but it could be a wheel bearing - but at 10k miles ?

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
I get this too and have 225 17" tyres,between 20-30mph i can hardly hear the stereo :( will be changing to different brand tyres when these run out! :)

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
There has been quite a few thread on rumbling from rear tyres on alteas.

Have you checked the tread depth right across your rear tyres? Often when poeple have the tyres have worn strangely.

People also find Bridgestones can wear oddly, so if you have those, get them checked!

:)

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I have ferenza crap that came on alloys and didnt make sense ot change them with other tyres. wearing quite well actually, probably longest had tyres on so far! But are noisy i think. 225 45 17 tyre.

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
FR TDI, 18 inch rims i think, 14 months old, 10k miles, At 20-40 MPh theres a (this is difficult) thrubbing - throbbing - humming type - speed related noise coming from the back.

The tyres look fine, and i cant feel aything loose or rough with the wheels jacked up.

Anyone else heard or seen this ?

I do wonder if its just a load of tyre noise from the fat rubber, that resonates at this speed. Its not there at walking speed, but it could be a wheel bearing - but at 10k miles ?

Having suffered exactly this problem with my Toledo, I can almost certainly tell you that it will be uneven tyre wear caused by a wheel alignmdent problem.
You will need to get a 4 wheel alignment check and adjustment carried out.
Your car probably left the factory with this fault, but don't try to get any sympathy from SEAT :(:(:(

John.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Changed my rear discs on Wednesday. Noticed the tyres had funny wear on the inside thread section, small flat spots the whole way round on both tyres, this is making the droning noise i suspect. Any recommended course of action to get this fixed, alignment or shocks at fault?

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
When i mentioned it to my dealer,first thing he said was alignment! And now i've properly checked,my tyres aren't even wear either :cry:

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Am going to go to dealer and get it checked out. due service soon so will say then about uneven tyre wear. Any more ammo i can build about cause and fixes for this.

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Am going to go to dealer and get it checked out. due service soon so will say then about uneven tyre wear. Any more ammo i can build about cause and fixes for this.

You can prepare any ammo you like, but your dealer will tell you to get the alignment checked and SEAT will NOT take any resposiblity for the cost of this or consequential loss of tyres, even though you car, like many others it seems (mine included), must have left the factory with incorrect wheel alignment. :shrug:

John.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Emailed dealer bought car from, asked about service too so payment may help them in deciding to do something with it, plus they know me (yes it's been in that many times!) so fingers crossed. Been ok so far with warranty stuff, so push this one.

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Emailed dealer bought car from, asked about service too so payment may help them in deciding to do something with it, plus they know me (yes it's been in that many times!) so fingers crossed. Been ok so far with warranty stuff, so push this one.

Well, I wish you luck!!
I also know my dealer, Watford SEAT very well, what with routine service plus a lot of warranty work (wheel bearing, cylinder head, turbo, seatbelt etc.) but still didn't get anywhere - do be fair, the dealer did try to process a claim with SEAT to no avail, then I contacted SEAT and baiscally they weren't f*cking interested!!

John.

Tell

Staff member
It's a known problem of early [not too sure how early] Altea's that the rears left the factory with the wrong set up. Obvious parties don't like to advertise this.

At my first MOT the garage took it to the MOT station and they reported "deformed rear wheels". Take that how you like. They never said that the alignment was out and the back and being out of warranty they would be rubbing their hands. Getting it reported as an MOT item was also playing into their hands for work since next year the MOT station would be looking for it given that it's all computerised and yes dosh for my dealer.

I had the emission light thingey with the blown fuse and broken throttle. That was replaced but went to another place. I mentioned the tyres and they spilled the beans on the Alteas having the back end not set up correctly and the spec being altered. They offered and gave me the Seat new spec for the allignment. Also told me where they take their cars to get it sorted, not immediately but when I was having problems finding any where local. On arriving on saturday, they said we do "loads of them for that garage". It was a design fault in early Alteas.....

So the story of the Bridgestones being liable to road noise is humbug, just since most new Alteas get Bridgestones, it isn't the tyres it's the alignment, cam at the back. "4 wheel alignment is what you want" - only some places do this, not your back street garage place. I suspect all three year old Altea and high mileage Alteas are coming down with it now like mine, until Seat change the spec, when ever that was. Is Klawit still around, he'd know :).

Last edited:

loadswine

loadswine
I had the alignment sorted on mine through the dealer- what a rip off, nearly £200, when I had a 4 whell alignment done on my sports car done at a good tyre place a little later for £52.
Watch out for that one, they really sting you for that at the dealers.
Alignment didn't cure my rumbling at the rear though. That was fixed by replacing the awful Bridgestones with Goodyear F1s, so much better.

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
I had the alignment sorted on mine through the dealer- what a rip off, nearly £200, when I had a 4 whell alignment done on my sports car done at a good tyre place a little later for £52.
Watch out for that one, they really sting you for that at the dealers.
Alignment didn't cure my rumbling at the rear though. That was fixed by replacing the awful Bridgestones with Goodyear F1s, so much better.

Well, when my dealer (Watford SEAT) told me that SEAT would not do the alignment under warranty, they told me that they could send the car out to get it done - I said that in this circumstance, I didn't want to pay for their mark up/profit on the job and would take it direct!
To be fair they gave me details of the tyre co. who does it for them and I got charged £80 from memory, which at the time I had thought was a bit steep!! (but, maybe not!)

John.

Tell

Staff member
To do the 4 wheel allignment I got charged about £27 for the front and £27 for the back. For the £200 that close to a new pair of Goodyears Loadswine. That was at Protyre which is a chain.

I'm all Goodyears now more by accident than anything else, since I had to have the fronts changed for the MOT.

Looks like the Seat garage that I found in the home counties is fair, I thought they were. Gave me good advice as well, I wouldn't have minded if my other garage had been more truthfull about the wear being related to the way the factory had set up early Alteas.

I gather your throttle valve hasn't gone yet Loadswine.... it's just a matter of time ;).

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise