Tyre selection choice

anoyceperson

Mar 30, 2012
I have recently joined the forum ( http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=366605 ) after purchasing a Cupra 150 TDI.

When I bought the car it had a proper random selection of tyres on it, Primwell PZ900 (2 of), a BCT S800 and an Autoguard (I think!) SA802.

I had a couple of questions. Firstly does anyone know what tyres would have come on this car as standard as I presume they should be a pretty good match to the car?

Secondly is there a "go to" tyre that most people put on these cars if they replace them? I used to run Continental Sport Contact 3 on a previous car which I rated really highly (and got good reviews with several respected car magazines). They come in at around £110 a corner so looking for other suggestions at or around that price.

andrewkettle

I have a cupra 1.8t petrol and the origional tyres were bridgestones (still on the back after 42k when I bought it). I assume this is the same on the deisel . Changed the tyres about 1000 miles ago and asked for advice on here.

Went for Hankook V12 Evo's which would be silightly under your £110 budget, and cant fault them.

Other reccomendations I got were Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta and Pilot Sport 3's.

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
Until a couple of weeks ago I had a mixture too, think I had a couple of those Autoguards aswell, they were truly woeful, they were all at different levels and the car pulled to the left badly, I even had the tracking looked at as I didnt think it was possible for the car to pull to the left that much just by having un matching tyres.

As andrewkettle says the originals were Bridgestones, my spare is a Bridgestone. I looked at Bridgestone Potenza RE60s (or something like that) That Vredestein Sessantas get good reviews on here. In the end went for Goodyear Eagle F1s, cant fault them so far, MUCH better wet grip, they get good reviews and seem pretty popular on here too. Cost me £85 each delivered, my bros a mechanic so he fired them on for me, no idea how much fitting costs lol.

anoyceperson

Mar 30, 2012
Sounds similar to my current setup! I think your description of "woeful" sums it up pretty well. In the wet I am spinning up all over the shop, under steering horrifically too. Quite why anyone would put such shitty tyres on a car with that much torque through the front wheels is beyond me!

Will have to check out the Goodyears, 85 a tyre sounds pretty good. Much better than the 120plus for some of the other brands.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

trax

nut chucker
Apr 15, 2004
Scotland/NorthEast
Cupra tdi here. I'm hunting for new tyres too. I have a mixed bag on as I'm trying to find some that don't die after 6k.

I've had michelin pilotsport 2 and 3's and they don't last long at all, 7-8k at a push. Good tyres though! I don't drive nuts, but there are a lot of hills and rough roads around here. Anyway, I'm put off ;)

ATM I'm thinking either eagle f1 asym2, sportcontact5 or ultrac sessanta. choices choices! TBH it looks like they all only last less than 10k :/

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Rainsport 2s might be worth a look, got a pair fitted locally to me last week at a decent price and struggling to pick faults with them to be honest.

Struggling to pick faults because they're awesome! I managed to pick up a pair of 225/45/17's with 7mm tread across them for £100 which is a bargain considering they're over £100 each for that size. Superb tyres, used to always run them on the cordy.

Seen good write ups on the goodyear F1's too but have yet to try them.

anoyceperson

Mar 30, 2012
Sorry guys I forgot all about this post, lack of money meant this hasnt actually progressed at all!

The ones I had been suggested to look at at:
Pirelli PZERO
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Continental Sport Contact 3
Goodyear Eagle F1's
Hankook S1 Evo's
Rainsport 2

Anyone had any personal experience with any of these..

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
Any one of those will be 100 times better than the shitty cheapo ones you have on, shop around and see what you can get a good price on. Have read positive reviews about most of those you list. As I said above I have Eagle F1s and cant fault them, Vredestein Sessenatas are worth a look too, get good reviews on here.

anoyceperson

Mar 30, 2012
Ok, bit the bullet. Bought a set of Michellin Pilot Sport 3's. Only driven about a mile on the new tyres, but they already feel considerably more grippy than the previous ones.

Now just need to work out what to do with the old ones as they are taking up loads of room in my shed! Anyone got any suggestions about how best to get rid? I am thinking ebay with a collection only option..

anoyceperson

Mar 30, 2012
Haha... well thats certainly an option. I was hoping as they have quite a bit of tread on them that someone might pay actual money for them. Not worth much, but anything that helps ease the pain of £450 on tyres has got to be looked at!

anoyceperson

Mar 30, 2012
Holy moly.. I only sold the old tyres! I stuck them up on ebay, starting price of a pound, £20 buy it now (for each) and someone bought all 4. Result!

JamesG13

Has anyone got any reviews toyo proxy's t1r's? A few of my mates use them on their petrol cars, but was just wanting to know if they were good on a cupra?

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
toyo

toyo proxyes are very grippy
i use to run them on my evo but got fed up with them only lasting 6-7000 miles
i now run falken fk452 and cant say ive noticed any loss of grip but they are lasting alot better

JamesG13

Ok cheers mate, I'll have a look at them. Were they expensive for a full set?

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
i pay £80 each fitted for falken fk452 and £75 for ze912
you may be able to get cheaper if you hunt around
also they do a ze914 and thats meant to be slightly better than the 912

inch0408

LEON LOVER
Jan 28, 2013
GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Toyo r888's! Or yoko parada spec 2! Toyos are epic in dry to moist and yokos are great in dry to damp but for hard driving in wet conditions you should consult a doctor - just don't do it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise