Tyre Wear...

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
Hey,

Ever since i've had my cupra (2 years) i've been replacing my front tyres every 6months or so.

This is mainly due to them Wearing heavily on the insides.

My car has had several Camber/Tracking Alignments, the wishbones have been poly bushed just before the last tyre change, and everything else appears to be fine. I use Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres, same as most people on here.

Yet they still wear out on the insides really quick.

At this moment in time, the inside 1.5inch of both front tyres is bald, yet the rest of the tyre is at a guess i'd say 70-75% worn.

Does anyone have any suggestions? i was thinking track rod ends, but there doesn't appear to be any play in them at all.

Cheers

EZT

May 25, 2008
cambs
just on the insides? points towards camber prob (too much) if inside and out it would point to tyre pressures ..... under inflated

May 25, 2008
cambs
just had a thought its not rubbing on the spring cup on the suspension leg? what size tyres are you running?

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
33psi in the fronts and 32psi in the rears, checked weekly.

Exactly to the manufactures spec, i wouldn't mind checking my camber again.

As looking back through some of the alignment print-offs it's been set to 0.5degrees, then every time i've had it checked again it's about 1.5degrees, n they've had to correct it, (once it was 2.6degrees!)

But i have had my tracking checked recently, and that was fine, which confuses me even more as if the camber increases without adjusting the tracking, then you end up with toe-in...

Don't fancy paying £55 out every few months for alignment though :( be cheaper to just let it ruin tyres.

Last edited:
May 25, 2008
cambs
are your top mounts ok? there is definatly some play some where to be making camber readings like that. mines -0.5 deg

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
Top mounts are new.

wtf?

The camber adjustment is changing everytime i take it back, mearly because the adjustment is done by a sloted bolt hole on the strut, it is naturally going to change over time due to the forces applied (i'm talking 4-6 months between checks) admittedly new self locking strut bolts would possibly help.

If there was play in anything, they would struggle to correct the camber.

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
How old are the bolts? They're not quite single use - but worth changing after every few adjustments.

Are they doing them up tight enough? Which way does the camber go our of spec? Always more -ve?

May 25, 2008
cambs
oh ok then . maybe like you state new bolts might solve this and hold in tighter ,just seem strange as i have never had this prob on any of my cars road and track and these take alot of abuse round various circuits

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
just been and had camber and tracking checked...

Camber is -0.62 and -0.59, so i didn't bother having it adjusted.

and apparantly there was a tiny tiny bit of toe-out on the front drivers side, so they corrected that, but he said not enough to scrub tyres, most people would never of noticed it from just general driving.

He did advise me to get some new track rod ends though... he said theres no play in them, mechanically there fine, but he struggled to adjust the tracking as there tight as fook, he really struggled to get the lock nut undone.

The bolts are pretty old, but funnily enuff last time i had the camber set when i got home, i torqued the bolts up, and it seems it hasn't moved this time (well not much)..

Still doesn't explain my tyre wear issue tho :(

Mork - yes mate, always more negative camber

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise