Tyres for the Summer

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
Hi Folks,

I've just been reading the thread about everyday tyres and what people tend to choose.

But.. What about the most suitable tyre for weekend use / track use? I'm lucky enough that I have a company car as well as my LCR, so the Leon only gets used at weekends, and on trackdays / road trips.

The Pirelli P Zero Rosso's that are fitted currently are getting a bit thin, and I could do with changing all four before I go to the Nurburgring in 10 days. They're not bad tyres for both wet and dry conditions, but I find myself wanting to go back to the Yokohama Parada Tyres I've used on cars in the past. Brilliant in the dry, but not so in the wet (not a problem really mind).

What are your recommendations?

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Any recommendation for a halfway house between the two?

Vredestein, not heard of those!

Both will be deent enough in the other discipline. TBH R888s are great in the dry or the wet. They struggle a bit with standing water and they dont have the best longevity, but they'll provide more grip than almost anything else

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
Isnt there going to be a new legislation to say that 888s cant be used on the road anymore because of something stupid like they make to much noise :cry:

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
Bugger!
In saying that though 888s have now become very expensive.
I know its supply and demand but even if they are used on the road and not tracked they will only do about 2-3k miles.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Thats R888's out of the picture then :lol:

I need to go to the 'Ring, do a few laps, and get back!

The normal 888s will do 5k miles under normal conditions.

What you really want by the sounds of things is a good fast road tyre, and IMO nothing can touch the Vredesteins, but its very much a personal thing. They are very expensive too.

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
You're not kidding! Ah well.

£400 or so for a set of 4 is about the limit in all honesty, not really the money I want to be shelling out just before I go. But, after taking the wheels off at the weekend to clean them, and seeing a couple close to the markers, it's something that needs to be done! Shame though £400 is a lot of beer :(

Parada's I think it will be guys, cheers for the help and advice, much appreciated :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.