Tyres....what to avoid?

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Hi All,

Well time has come for new shoes on the front and what I've been reading is stay away from the Dunlops...

I have the 225/40R18 on my car...

I've found some GoodYear 'Efficient Grip Performance' which on the ratings are quieter than the other tyres, have rolling resistance band B compared to the Dunlops band E and they have wet braking of Band A vs Band B for the Dunlops.

So these should provide better braking, better economy and be quieter than the factory standard?

Plus these Dunlops seem to tramline and skip when on the motorway etc..

I don't mind paying for decent tyres if they last, on my old car I bought the Bridgestone Potenzas it came from the factory with and they were great for grip but they wore down so quickly.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Jamie

PeeJay

Jan 22, 2014
I'd be interested to have any too - I wouldn't recommend Kumho Ecsta HM, my car came with these, I've had the SPT / Sport versions on other cars and they've been very good - they don't have the marketing budget of the big players but they're very much 'branded quality' for about 30% less - but these HM's are awful in the wet, despite the ratings - you don't really want to see the traction control light flashing when you've got children in the car and that's not me driving like a nutter or through standing water!

damo74

Feb 16, 2013
I've just put 4 Falken's on mine, used them on various cars and swear by them. I'm expecting a minimum of 20k on the fronts out of them

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Mine came with Bridgestones. Only done 1,500 miles on her but grip is good and there is limited tramlining. Don't hear much tyre roar on motorways.

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
I've been reading reviews all morning now (bit slow at work today) and seen that most people have had something to say about the Dunlops, Bridgestones, Falkens, Kumhos etc...

I have had the Bridgestone Potenza RE050As on a 207 GTi I owned and although they were amazing for grip in wet and dry, they didn't last at all. Iwould buy these in a heartbeat if it was for a proper sports car.

As this is our daily driver and we don't drive it like hooligans (well, 90% of the time we dont) I want a good balance between, comfort, noise, economy, longevity and sportiness and I think these GoodYears look like the ticket.

The fronts also seem to have uneven wear so I'm going to get the whole car 4 wheel aligned too.

julianat57

Jun 19, 2010
Stafford
Hi, my 143 SE ST came with Bridgestone's (17'') from new, amazing at first, then at just under 12k they were near the limit and became a handful in the wet and were changed to Michelin Primacy 3's which have done 5k and fulfil all my requirements and show no wear signs yet....Julian

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
I'd look into Uniroyal Rainsports, Fantastic in the wet, Not exactly shabby in the dry and fairly long lasting as well too. They've just released the Rainsport 3 which a friend has on an MX5 and he struggles to get the back end out around roundabouts whereas when I tried it on his old tyres (budgets) the car threw me around in a 180 :(

http://camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p111...Eff_:_C_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_72dB

I'll be buying them for mine when I can finally kill the Pirelli P6000's on there at the minute

irvtheswerv

Been using Kumos for about 7 yrs on various cars. Never had a problem with them in the wet. But then I swap to Cold weather tyres in the winter.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Goodyear Dunlop have improved no end over the last few years, Dunlop providing slightly more grip whilst Goodyear side less grip but more miles.

Or you could opt for a Mich which they claim will cover the most miles. You'd have to pay me to have Mich. on my car.

They've just released the Rainsport 3 which a friend has on an MX5 and he struggles to get the back end out around roundabouts

He's not trying hard enough..:D

Last edited:

PeeJay

Jan 22, 2014
Been using Kumos for about 7 yrs on various cars. Never had a problem with them in the wet. But then I swap to Cold weather tyres in the winter.

I swear by them usually, but I suspect these particular ones are low resistance / fuel saving ones. I say give me more grip and hang the 0.5MPG fuel efficiency expense!

DWaldie

Aug 21, 2012
I splashed out and got a full set of Continental sport fives. The front pair lasted 6000 miles and were knackered. Good grip, but not THAT good. Gone for a pair of Khumos on the front now and they feel almost as grippy for half the price. Can't see me ever buying contis again :(

samuir1974

Yes - seen similar comments on the Conti sport 5's from the Passat forum.
Good tyre and grip but very low miles.

Anyone using Hankook V12's at all? Hearing good things on these and nice tread pattern.

stevea1234

Jan 7, 2012
I just had a couple of goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 225/40 fitted. Cost around £110 each fitted and they seem quite good. Time will tell!

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Well I decided on the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance purely because all the reviews of them have been really good and the Dunlops that were new on the car when we had it have done 6k and are bummed, the rears still have the new knobbles in the grooves!! (Don't drive like hooligans)

Better Economy, low noise, good in the wet etc....having them fitted tomorrow will let you all know how they go...

samuir1974

Used to have Pirelli p zero rosso's on my golf gti and couldn't rate them highly enough, I'd get 12k of mixed driving out of them and around £250 a pair.

Pirelli p-zero rosso's on our Exeo at the moment.
They seem ok, and grip and wear levels seem good.

They were on the car.... so not sure on cost.

Cornishgreg

Feb 13, 2014
I have Maxxis on mine from TyreFinders in Redruth. Very aggressive contact pattern, shift water very well, quiet and good fuel economy. Excellent grip in the corners with a reinforced sidewall, seem to coping with the worst of Cornwall's pot holes too.

Look like they will last about 20K miles (on 17K with a good 1.5MM left to minimum).

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
I have Maxxis on mine from TyreFinders in Redruth. Very aggressive contact pattern, shift water very well, quiet and good fuel economy. Excellent grip in the corners with a reinforced sidewall, seem to coping with the worst of Cornwall's pot holes too.

Look like they will last about 20K miles (on 17K with a good 1.5MM left to minimum).

You didn't drive past matalan way in Truro on saturday did you? a Red Exeo went past as I was waiting to pull out of where Jag/Landrover is and got a little stare of admiration from the other owner :) ??

Cornishgreg

Feb 13, 2014
Not me!

That means there is another Red Exeo in West Cornwall? I must make mine more unique!

Will see what can be arranged when in goes to the body shop for a nose job....

Think I saw yours on Friday coming off at Avers junction on my way to Dales for a service drop off.

Last edited:

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Not me!

That means there is another Red Exeo in West Cornwall? I must make mine more unique!

Will see what can be arranged when in goes to the body shop for a nose job....

Think I saw yours on Friday coming off at Avers junction on my way to Dales for a service drop off.

Aye it goes that way all the time :) I've seen a silver one, a white one and I'm sorry to say 2 red ones...not a black one...but that's probably because I haven't noticed one I guess.

I was killing a bit of time saturday morning so visited a few car dealerships to see what was about and Scorrier Dales had 7 Exeos circa 16k for sale, all Sport Tech STs....

There was a pre-facelift 13 reg?? Bit strange...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.