Tyres....what to avoid?

PeeJay

Jan 22, 2014
Is you Schumacher innit bruv? haha

I'd be distraught at getting just 8k miles out of a set of tyres for a car that just commutes.

If I wore out tyres having fun in a Hot Hatch or Sports Car...I wouldn't be bothered, comes with the territory.

Ha ha, no far from - I don't need my arse wiped for a start (sorry, terribly poor taste joke I know).

I've always got 8-10k miles from tyres, I don't tend to let them get down to the markers, but I think there's a few reasons.

My driving is a lot of A-B roads.

I live in Wales, not sure I know of any straight roads need me.

I carry a lot of stuff for work.

I'm reasonably careful with pressures and they've worn evenly so far.

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Ha ha, no far from - I don't need my arse wiped for a start (sorry, terribly poor taste joke I know).

I've always got 8-10k miles from tyres, I don't tend to let them get down to the markers, but I think there's a few reasons.

My driving is a lot of A-B roads.

I live in Wales, not sure I know of any straight roads need me.

I carry a lot of stuff for work.

I'm reasonably careful with pressures and they've worn evenly so far.

Similar situation to me then really down in Cornwall, what is a straight road again? :rofl:

The Exeo is a bit heavy on the nose too...sure I read somewhere on here 29,000 miles out of a set, that'd be ace, probs motorway miles though.

Now I don't know what to get to replace these EfficientGrips when the time comes soon...£68 budgets or back to the Dunlops?

Tonyuk74

Sep 1, 2014
Barnsley
I always go budget after I had a new set of tyre and hit a 6 inch deep 2 foot long pot hole on a dark wet windy New Years eve in Scotland and blow 2 of rims. Gutted

Cookies

May 18, 2014
County Down
I think for my replacements that I'll have a look at the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. They get incredible write ups and fair few guys in the Scooby Club have them on their early series cars.

Cooks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
I'm glad people are posting about this, because I've just put two new Falkens on the front after the last set wore out in just over 10k. They deteriorated very badly very quickly towards the end - to the extent that the car was very nervous in the wet. Hardly surprising as the outer edges were worn completely smooth - although it came as a bit of a shock because they'd been legal when the car was serviced a month before. Anyway, the transformation has been dramatic with tramlining eradicated, excellent grip in the wet again and suppleness restored to the ride. £85 a corner at Halfords, which isn't bad, but we'll have to see if they last any longer than the last lot. Had the two front alloys refurbed at the same time, and a day spent polishing the bodywork and shampooing the seats has made the car look lovely again - barring the odd swirl and a couple of minor bubbles on the rear alloys. I recently drove two examples of the new Leon - 184 diesel and the petrol 1.4 TSi ACT - and was very tempted because it's a great car. But with the Exeo looking and driving so well at the moment, I'm happy to wait.

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Any more for any more?

Really got to bite the bullet soon and I just do not know what to go for :(

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
After looking at reviews, I think the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's are the ones for me.

They seem to have amazing reviews, have a stiff sidewall and have rim protection.

Some have noted good wear which feels me with Joy as they are reviews on heavy cars so hopefully these will be good.

Camskill are currently £80.50 each.

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
After looking at reviews, I think the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's are the ones for me.

They seem to have amazing reviews, have a stiff sidewall and have rim protection.

Some have noted good wear which feels me with Joy as they are reviews on heavy cars so hopefully these will be good.

I know you tried the efficient grips, but have you tried the GY F1 A2s? I think they are on my list to put on at the next change. I've got Falken 914s on mine at the moment (came with the car when I got it) seem to have reasonable wear but I don't cover too many miles. Looking forward to trying out something more premium to see the difference (and getting something with some sidewall protection!)

And have you looked at the Vredistein Vortis - I thought they were meant to be better than the Sessantas?

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
I put Sessantas on my Scirocco - improved ride and much quieter than the standard fit Potenzas (I think) but a little sloppier feeling. I had Avon ZZ3's (from memory) on my 184bhp diesel Grande Punto and they lasted forever, never once lost traction or span in a straight line - a little hard and noisy though. I'll probably get the Sessantas or Eagle F1's for the Exeo when I replace what's on there, I like comfort and low noise on the roads I spent most time on! :)

Cornishgreg

Feb 13, 2014

Let us know how you get on, might look at these if I decide to switch from the Maxxis next time!

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Well,

My decision was kind of made for me as we wanted to take a break in London and the car was the most cost effective way for us.

Went to TyreFinders in Redruth.

Never been to a tyre place where they treat you like a human being before, refreshing experience and they'll get in any tyres you want.

After perusing their stocks as we went to london the day after, I decided on 'Maxxis VS01' which were marginally more expensive than the MA-Z3s. The Z3s have a very cool looking tread pattern but the VS01s came across as a more reliable tyre.

I had all 4 wheels laser aligned and the difference is amazing :)

Have done 600 miles on them now and was very impressed with their ride, firmness, noise levels etc.

The only think I would say is I could feel a slight loss of grip on greasy/slippy roads we're starting to get now very early in the morning and late at night.

Will keep you updated on how they progress.

Cornishgreg

Feb 13, 2014
Tyrefinders is the only place I would go to in Cornwall for tyres now.

I have the MA-Z3 on all four corners as the VS-01 weren't available when I last had to change.

I think you're right the difference in tread pattern is the biggest difference, I have had no grip issues in this weather so far, but probably are a little behind in the fuel and noise stakes.

The Maxxis should give you circa 18-20K miles driving around Kernow!

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Tyrefinders is the only place I would go to in Cornwall for tyres now.

I have the MA-Z3 on all four corners as the VS-01 weren't available when I last had to change.

I think you're right the difference in tread pattern is the biggest difference, I have had no grip issues in this weather so far, but probably are a little behind in the fuel and noise stakes.

The Maxxis should give you circa 18-20K miles driving around Kernow!

All thanks to you Greg :) Rang them then went to them purely on your recommendation :)

Like you, I'm not going anywhere else in future :)

They're happy to get anything in so I will try other brands next...vredestein and uniroyals are calling :!

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I'm going to be due new tyres soon as I'm coming up to 3mm on the fronts @ 12.5K on the odo. Currently on Bridgestones.

As alternatives I'm condering either GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 2 or VREDESTEIN ULTRAC CENTO (apologies for the caps.. copy and pasted). Not a fan of the Vred Sasso tread pattern..

Both are the same price @ the place I plan to buy from, Goodyear seems to have the better fuel/noise ratings. Will report back on choices once fitted & bedded in.

I've had no problems with the Bridgestones (but nowt to compare to either!) and have used them since they had 3.5k on them however I do experience loss of traction easier now they are worn and have always experienced some tramlining.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Ordered Goodyear F1s, fitting Saturday. I swear prices have gone up, these two set me back £107 each inc fitting.

These will be replacing standard fit Bridgestones, however I'll be rotating new rubber to the rear so may not notice much difference intitally as existing rear Bridgestones will be on the front.

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Well.....

Less than 10k! It's March and we had new tyres in November and they're on the limit.

Worn evenly, the rears are like new still...the fronts are done :(

Wtf is wrong with this car, I have never had to go through tyres like this in anything before.

It must be due to the heavy nose and the twisty, hilly, daily commute it goes on.

The maxxis VS-01, I cannot recommend really. They have been noisy the whole time, mpg went down a lot compare to the efficiency grips and they've lasted less amount of time.

So what do I go for now? Aaarghhhhh :cry:

damo74

Feb 16, 2013
Well.....

Less than 10k! It's March and we had new tyres in November and they're on the limit.

Wtf is wrong with this car, I have never had to go through tyres like this in anything before.

It must be due to the heavy nose and the twisty, hilly, daily commute it goes on.

The maxxis VS-01, I cannot recommend really. They have been noisy the whole time, mpg went down a lot compare to the efficiency grips and they've lasted less amount of time.

Just about to replace my fronts with another set of Falkens. (453's from memory)
I've managed 16k out of my last front set. £150 for a pair, great bargain! My only gripe is that they are a tad noisey.

Damo

ajf3011

Jan 30, 2015
Burnham
Been quite impressed with the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 on mine, decent grip in the wet and don't notice much road noise from them.
Majority of my driving is motorway however, so I tend to get a better mileage from my tyres than you will on Cornish B roads.
Get mine from Oponeo for £89 delivered (225/40/18 92Y).

Only other tyre that's been tempting me to try is the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT, A & B ratings and 68db, but will probably stick with the Michelin as I've no complaints with them so far.

Ran Falkens on my previous Passat (205/60/15) and found them excellent for the price, but not tried them on the Exeo.

DWaldie

Aug 21, 2012
Well.....

Spoilt myself a while ago and got 4 Contis. The fronts lasted 6k and the rears about 14k :cry: I have 4 Khumos on now and they've already done 8k and I reckon they'll be good for the same again. They're quieter than the Contis and not quite as grippy but they are probably going to work out a quarter of the price so I can live with it.

There is a lot of torque going through the fronts so they aren't going to last forever!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.