Tyres....what to avoid?

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
So I've checked the invoice for the current tyres.

They were done at this moment in time, only a couple of miles out from 6,000 miles. I have never experienced tyres wear as quick as that ever and I've had a few quick cars that liked to eat rubber but on a car that doesn't get driven fast, thrown into corners and is just a commuter car...cripes.

Not sure what to buy.

Do I go expensive or do I just go cheap cheap...

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
If it's any use to you, Kwik Fit are doing Goodyear Eagles for £99 a corner. They're not the latest asymmetric tread but still top quality and good reviews.

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
if its any more use then ATS are doing Michelin pilot sport 3's at £110 each, buy 2 for a £30 fuel card so works out at £95 each fitted. Good deal as you pay about £89 for the tyres alone not fitted

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
Im shocked at the low mileage some members on here got on the front tyres. If I got anything less than 20K out of tyres I would think they were faulty. My current ones (Dunlop Sport Maxx) have done 25K and I reckon should last until 30K.

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
There does seem to be real variation going on and I also wonder if the different engines are making the big difference here. I changed my tyres just over 3000 miles ago, mostly town and A roads, short journeys, I'm on 7mm front and 7.5mm back. But I'm in a petrol so less torque that the 170bhp diesel.

It might be helpful for people to specify which engine they have, 143bhp or 170 bhp etc.

Cornishgreg

Feb 13, 2014
Wow Asonda, that is quick wear.

I'm on similar roads obviously (plus long runs out of county).

I've just stuck on another set of the MA-Z3 as I got 20,598 miles out of the last set (worn down to 1.7mm).:shrug:

It might be worth going back to Tyrefinders and asking them, if they are getting very different wear profiles from different tyres from the same brand they might be able to recommend one compound/type over another - or point you to another brand entirely.

I have heard from another friend that if you can find the same tyre cheaper from a 'good' source (not eBay etc), they will do their best to price match.

Good luck and let me know how you get on!

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Well.....

Less than 10k! It's March and we had new tyres in November and they're on the limit.

Worn evenly, the rears are like new still...the fronts are done :(

Wtf is wrong with this car, I have never had to go through tyres like this in anything before.

It must be due to the heavy nose and the twisty, hilly, daily commute it goes on.

The maxxis VS-01, I cannot recommend really. They have been noisy the whole time, mpg went down a lot compare to the efficiency grips and they've lasted less amount of time.

So what do I go for now? Aaarghhhhh :cry:

Get what you pay for I'm afraid. My Yoko's on the front (mk2 diesel) cover 9/10k approx on the front, and I don't look after them.

Has anyone tried the Yokohama-Advan-Sport-V105S?

I was about to purchase the eagle f1's but don't want to look past these

Have been running V105's since their release, only other tyre I'd consider would the Dunlop's sportmaxx RT, which would last slightly longer but grip slightly less. I always go for grip over wear together with other things.

So I've checked the invoice for the current tyres.

They were done at this moment in time, only a couple of miles out from 6,000 miles. I have never experienced tyres wear as quick as that ever and I've had a few quick cars that liked to eat rubber but on a car that doesn't get driven fast, thrown into corners and is just a commuter car...cripes.

Not sure what to buy.

Do I go expensive or do I just go cheap cheap...

I did once see of some Yoko's on a cosworth in under two hours around Donnington, all depends how and what your using them for..

Question is, what do you want from a tyre.

if its any more use then ATS are doing Michelin pilot sport 3's at £110 each, buy 2 for a £30 fuel card so works out at £95 each fitted. Good deal as you pay about £89 for the tyres alone not fitted

Mich. would have to pay me to use their tyre's. Of course you could buy far worse but you can also purchase far better manufactured tires..

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
Took the plunge and re-tyred today ,primarily down to a) they needed doing and b) 'Easter Weekend Deals'
Rang around this morning identifying who was carrying premium brand stock (goodyear/conti/michelin etc) and had the usual from ' i want to take your eyes out' - how does £590 sound for the whole car, if you do it today we can give you £30 discount - for £560 - (you can't get better than.....- Oh yes you can ), to a couple of other sensible quotes like £410 for Conti's and £360 for Uniroyal sport 3
Difficulty was finding any of the top 3 or 4 who carry premium brand stock on the shelf
Ended up going with ATS who are currently offering 20% discount for 2 and 25% discount for 4 tyres off the depot prices for Michelin's.
So the Pilot sport 3's were less than the £110 each online price by a couple of quid each and with Michelin's current fuel card deal you get £70 back on a fuel card, thinks the maths worked out that your paying around £360 which I thought was a pretty good deal.
I was contemplating sourcing Goodyear Eagle F1's given the many recommendations on here but happy to give these pilot sport 3's a go.
Looking through the reviews does not seem to be much between them.
Car feels night and day from how it felt when I took it in and road holding feels spot on , it was chucking it down today.....Will report back after a couple of thousand mile on them to see how they feel when worn in a bit.
The 2 guys who did the job mind were looking for badges to work out what kind of car it was. It went in as an Exeo and on the paperwork came out as an Octavia.....close :)

Last edited:

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
Ended up going with ATS who are currently offering 20% discount for 2 and 25% discount for 4 tyres off the depot prices for Michelin's.
So the Pilot sport 3's were less than the £110 each online price by a couple of quid each and with Michelin's current fuel card deal you get £70 back on a fuel card, thinks the maths worked out that your paying around £360 which I thought was a pretty good deal.

I replaced my well work Hankook Ventus with a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3's last weekend. Costco deal at £104.50 per corner all in and £70 worth of Costco vouchers - mind you the wait for fitting was 2hrs.

Better ride and roadholding than the Hankooks - time will tell how fast I melt them :)

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I had a nightmare with my last set of tyres.

I put Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs on the back at 38k and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s on the front at 40k. I was shocked to see that at 55k, the Dunlops were on 2mm and the Goodyears had 2.5mm.

I've just put 4 Vredestein Ultrac Vortis on it at £65 a corner, they have good reviews but have a much higher rolling resistance so I'm not hoping for much, if they last almost as long I will be happy.

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts

I put Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs on the back at 38k and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s on the front at 40k. I was shocked to see that at 55k, the Dunlops were on 2mm and the Goodyears had 2.5mm.

I've just put 4 Vredestein Ultrac Vortis on it at £65 a corner, they have good reviews but have a much higher rolling resistance so I'm not hoping for much, if they last almost as long I will be happy.

So you got 15k miles from your fronts which have a bit left and it is a noise heavy car, and 17k from your rears .Overall, I'd say that's not bad at all! And actually the Goodyears out performed the Dunlops considering they were on the front.

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen

Is it worth getting the alignment checked? Its really surprising to hear that the rears are wearing quicker than the fronts, unless the Dunlops are a seriously soft compound.

Garethm

Oct 8, 2014
I am dreading this really hard decision. My 170 is due new tyres in a few months. My neighbour works and owns a place in the tyre business so I'll be talking to him to see what he can do at the time. Last time I managed to get 245/40/18 on my BM - Pirelli P Zero at £100 a corner because he had them lying around for a few months. If I am paying a budget price for an epic tyre I'm not bothered if it only lasts for 10k as that's about a year or more to me anyway lol.

I've heard a few people swear by Uniroyal Rainsports, my Dad for one had them on his VW Passat a few years ago and thought they where excellent

Bish72

Mar 4, 2015
I have just replaced the original Bridgestones with Uniroyal rainsport 3's.
I have hated the Bridgestones from when I bought the car (170ST ) with 4000 miles on and while I could have got a few more miles out of them I changed them early with 14000 on the clock.
I bought them online from tyre leader for £61.19 each and had the tyre fitter who comes to my work for our van tyres to fit them at £15 each, so £152.38 all in. The tyre fitter would've charged me £205 all in for supplying and fitting the same tyres!
What are they like? So much quieter, less tram-lining grip is a lot better, only downside if you can call it one is that when the roads are wet and these tyres shift the water really well is that my White Exeo St is a lot dirtier down the sides now.

Garethm

Oct 8, 2014
I don't even know what the tyres that are on mine are... Although I have no evidence I believe my Exeo has is mapped (need a rolling road to see) it has the newer Audi A4 Turbo (have the receipt for that) so could be running slightly more power it drives the ESP mad in 2nd and 3rd gear in the dry and wet.... Tyres are really crap but they will do until they are done

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
Highly inaccurate measuring with a manual tyre wear indicator, but my goodyears (eagle F1) have 2800 miles on them now with fronts just over 1mm or wear and rears just under 1mm of wear. Been happy with them so far.

Evo4jon

Jan 31, 2015
Consider Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 tyres. I had them on my SKoda Fabia VRS. On the wifes Honda S2000 and I use them on my Mitsi Evo for track days. My Seat Exeo has them fitted too.

They are good in wet and dry. Last pretty well and don't "go off". I have had many sets of tyres that start out good, but went hard and became dangerous in the wet. The Hankooks are good from start to finish !

Bbeettaa

Feb 20, 2012
I've always gone for the higher end of tyres and currently running Eagle F1s AS2 on every corner. About 2.5mm left on the fronts after around 18K-20K (I don't remember exactly when I put them on December 2013).

I usually buy from camskill and get a local garage to do swap outs for £5 a piece. I belive my last were the 225 / 45 / 17 / 94Y XL FP. - I drive a 143bhp 60 plate, Exeo SE Tech estate.

Last edited:

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Update on my Goodyears Eagle F1s, just back from a trip to France where I've put 2000 miles on her.

- current mileage 23k

- rears on since 12.5k and are at 6.5mm

- fronts on since 20k and are at 7mm

- measured with tyre depth tool.

Only issue I have is the fronts aren't balanced properly (and maybe the rears too) which was a tad annoying on the French ultra smooth motorways! I'm yet to find a decent tyre fitter, used event tyres for both sets of Goodyears who come out in a van and whilst they did a great job of not damaging the rim (something I had major problems with at two places on my old Leon), they don't seem to be able to balance the wheels.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.