UK road legality of trackday tyres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Eyre

The Voice of Reason
Apr 2, 2003
researching
Visit site
You can’t pass the buck entirely onto Rob ref E marks, you know your own mind more than most I know, you’ll only have agreed if you were happy that E marks were a true requirement
Sorry, are you calling me a liar?

The facts are stated above. Rob will be able to confirm this. No one else drove the argument, and Rob prompted me in July 2008 over the e-mark revisions to the Sept 2008 event rules (post 35). After 6 years of brow-beating, in conjunction with lack of information, and a scattering of tyre marking info on the net, mandatory e-marks were just simply pre-accepted by me.

There was no accessible information like that in posts 18 and 19 available - until now.

Like I said, I’m not going to jump into the argument over the legality of said tyres in 2003, mainly because I can’t find a definitive answer that I’d be 100% happy to accept, and I find it hard for anyone else to come to any other decision, the question of the tyres being in the sprit of the event may be an easier question to answer for some, but as it didn’t bother me at the time I can’t see why it should bother me now
Reading between the lines, I’m glad you agree you've no basis to question 2003. As for 'spirit of the event', what an irrelevance. They're trackday durable DOT tyres, no different to then then-contemporary Yokohama, of A-O32R & A-O38R vintage, which were equally in use - see thread title - and offered no demonstrable performance advantage.

You can put up these incidental futile arguments and inferences, immaterial deflections, sub-debates over who started what, and be as unhappy as you like about it, but without facts in the face of a direct comminication from the Department for Transport, you simply continue making a rod your your own back.

After 6 years, the e-mark tyre debate is finally dead, and there is no case to answer.

Meanwhile, Rob’s silence on this issue is unforgivable. He had apparently sought to make this of such public importance, both here and on Club GTI, whilst endeavouring to notch up political capital and discreditation, all directed at myself.

With this week's revelations, his absence of comments - and indeed apology - are deafening, inexplicable, undignified and cowardly.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i saw a request for an opinion as to wether a tyre was road legal - simple as

if you want to read along the lines and take it personally then it's entirely up to you

arguing and accusing each other over an obviously old wound of some sort is getting boring to be honest and as the issue reigns from outside the forum long ago i suggest you take it there and sort it between you

:closed:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.