Ultimate intake manifold test results now in....

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
results and write up here> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3098525&page=1
Intake+Manifold+Comparison.PNG

Confirming some of their flow results is my own 007 big port mani with r32 tbody... gained 30bhp/22lbft over the dual plenum big port mani on stock tbody i ran before.

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
yah took a look at that very good info. but would you say for me there would be any benifit over the stock one? i dont think i will come close to 1/4 of your gains!

though i am getting port and polish and 83mm bore soon next month.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
It's interesting to see them all together at the same time, like a dyno though - I wonder how the figures are relevant in the real world.

How much does yours flow at the minute Bill?

Some disclaimer in there to do with vacuum testing, and all manifolds were tested at the same presure with (I assume) an infinitely large cylinder, which makes me wonder how the test results allow somebody to "match" a particular manifold to a particular setup.

Like a lot of these things, doesn't the speed of the charge have an effect, so a big ass manifold on a not so big ass tubby is going to have a detrimental effect?

Would've been nice if they'd chucked a 225 manifold in there as well - there were comments about the TB entry on the Golf style, but the 225 looks better, and the plenum larger.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
As is said on their write up and the more detailed less "moderated" vortex write up on elite dubs, these are just comparitive flowbench tests showing potential comparisons between intake manifolds tested.
You have to match your own power/engine spec to the flow abilities and potential from the flowbench results yourself.

Pointless on a k0x turbo'd car IMHO (any of them). Dahlback is as restrictive as I imagined having seen one, disliked it and returned it.

I am pretty sure the majority of my own gains were from the 75mm throttle body on my >450bhp motor. The inlet manifold was bigger and facilitated the larger t'body, much like APR's, although interesting that APR's did'nt flow as well despite also being largeport and 75mm throttled. (simpler non tapered plenum, and no internal airhorns in it)

simch

Apr 12, 2004
Interesting to see what the results would be like wiht the inlet temperature sender in place?

I am not sure that all those manis seem to use the inlet air sensor, for example the 007 manifolds? I saw a picture of one on elite dubs and it did not seem to be there!

Can you remove this sensor form the stock mani? It must be restrictive to flow?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I can assure you its is in there on the 007 mani and is in the base of the plenum between cyl #3,#4 out of the flow.

simch

Apr 12, 2004
Nice. Have to say I am consodering ordering a small port one for my S3.

Just would like ot look at some cosmetic OEM style coating, on it, so it does not scream "tuned" at you when you open the bonnet! A sort of crinkel heat resistant grey would be nice I reckon!

These guys are "enthusiasts" who make them to order I presume, or are they like off the shelf producing them now? Presuambly available in the USA only?

simch

Apr 12, 2004
haha, just seen you sell them Bill!!

D'oh!

Make much difference with stock tb, stock smallport head and vf34/20+FMIC?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Nice. Have to say I am consodering ordering a small port one for my S3.

Just would like ot look at some cosmetic OEM style coating, on it, so it does not scream "tuned" at you when you open the bonnet! A sort of crinkel heat resistant grey would be nice I reckon!

These guys are "enthusiasts" who make them to order I presume, or are they like off the shelf producing them now? Presuambly available in the USA only?

The company making them are J&R Fabrications aka http://www.monster-turbo.com/

I am the UK reseller for them yes.

Price is £550 delivered here in the UK.
He has been making for stock, but this would need to be checked at time of placing order.

this is the 'best' proven flowbench inlet manifold.

simch

Apr 12, 2004
How do you think it would work on my s3 BAM motor with vf34 / 20 ?

Car seems a bit laggy to me, will the manifild help spooling at all?

Any idea what sort of a difference it would make with a stock smallport head..?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Bill,

Will a shorter custom length runner version be available as I am very restricted for space.

Paul

then picture of your install does'nt make me think the regular one wont just fit. sits in my ibiza same as stock one did. R32 t'body sized wel worth considering and porting smallport out as big as you can... easy free bhp on the GT3071R

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
How do you think it would work on my s3 BAM motor with vf34 / 20 ?

Car seems a bit laggy to me, will the manifild help spooling at all?

Any idea what sort of a difference it would make with a stock smallport head..?

what do you define as laggy?
VF34 is'nt what you would call laggy.. 3K and its pulling hard as normally
smallport will flow more than stock so cylinder fill potential is likely to be sooner and faster.

simch

Apr 12, 2004
MIne is not pulling hard at 3k revs, only really starts to come on song at 3500-4k revs.
It all feels a bit "retarded" if you like, I am not convinced the cam timing is 100%, even though the heads not been off to my knowledge.

Only seems to be making about 310hp also...?:-(

simch

Apr 12, 2004
Hi John! Is it possible to see that from the outside or is it turbo off for a proper inspection..? Is there any other symptoms eg, noise, vagcom codes or disparities..?

Cheers

Wilko

Badge snob
You can't see it without turbo off, but it's common, and you will see less power up top than it had when first fitted, and more lag, in my case 2-300rpm more lag.
You would see it if you took the downpipe off, which is less work than whole turbo off. The IHI exhaust housings don't like higi egt's. One of the reasons that I went for something new.

simch

Apr 12, 2004
You can't see it without turbo off, but it's common, and you will see less power up top than it had when first fitted, and more lag, in my case 2-300rpm more lag.
You would see it if you took the downpipe off, which is less work than whole turbo off. The IHI exhaust housings don't like higi egt's. One of the reasons that I went for something new.

Mine has been like it since "new" though, well at least since first mapped...?

Car still runs quite strong but when mapping it, it did not like too much boost, and timing needed to be retarded to reduce pull back. I had been running it as stock on 95 tesco though, but had BP ultimate in for map.

Running higher boost, it did not really make any more power, whihc was weird, so it got pegged back a bit.
Vagcom at about 1.2bar shows EGTs of 750 to 850 degrees, so it seems within limits, I think the EGT sensor is located on the actual turbo too, not downstream of it..?
Checking cam timing next and replacig the quiet miltek for the slightly noiser one, to see if there was too much back pressure.
To be fair the car drive very well for the boost its running, and I took someone out in it that has converted one running a supposed 1.5bar and 350+hp and they reckonned they felt similar from a lag perspective and top end too...?

Weird thing I notice though is it feels noticeably stronger when colder, (but inelt temps are low at only 30-40 degrees) and on "part throttle" it feels very strong too....in fact, its pretty much as quick through the gears on 50-60% throttle than it is on 100%..? At mid revs at least, 100% gas does noting, not even increase the intake noise, ie suggest more load..?

But this ismy first ca with DBW anyway and have to say I dont like it period!!!

I'll see if I can get a look at the exhaust housing by removing the DP ?

Cheers

BTW John, I saw your inters times on the web, (was not there). was it wet out there and you struggled for traction? Or were your times what you expected?

Wilko

Badge snob
I couldn't launch at inters. My 0-40 was around 4 secs, the 1.8secs 40-60. Still spinning at 60. Last year I was hitting 40 in under 3secs with less power and ran 13.7's
Car is a lot quicker when moving, but I either get bog or massive wheelspin from a start. The clutch is a bit on off, which doesn't help.

Have to admit that IHI on 1.5 bar is only marginally quicker than on 1.2 bar.

On dbw, your throttle mapping is probably 100% open at 50% pedal.
I've had mine mapped linear so it behaves like a caple car. Much nicer.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
MIne is not pulling hard at 3k revs, only really starts to come on song at 3500-4k revs.
It all feels a bit "retarded" if you like, I am not convinced the cam timing is 100%, even though the heads not been off to my knowledge.

Only seems to be making about 310hp also...?:-(

fueling ok?
what a/f you got?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members