Undertray/Cover

Adam87

Hi all,

On the A303 towards London on Friday I hit a ratchet strap in the road which pinged up and snapped the plastic cover at the bottom of my engine. I've had to remove it all as it was in a pretty bad shape! Just wondering if I can get away with not having this cover or if it needs to be replaced? '01 1.8 SE, btw.

Cheers, Adam

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I would replace it otherwise your sump will be in exposure of speed humps etc. You don't want to damage that..

Adam87

Cheers, the sides are fine, looks like there's a central section that screws to the sides. The central part was knackered so I've removed it completely. I'll get trawling eBay and scrappies to see what I can find.

Anyone know if the part is the same across the Leon range?

andycupra

status subject to change
there are different versions of the undertray.

diesl
cupra
cupra R are all different as far as im aware. there could be more differences but im not sure.

Not a cheap part from a dealer, around £100!

IF it just had a crack id be looking to repair it somehow, so i presume it was already in a poor state.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster

diesl
cupra
cupra R are all different as far as im aware. there could be more differences but im not sure.

IF it just had a crack id be looking to repair it somehow, so i presume it was already in a poor state.

yup & the facelift cupra boys didnt get a full bellypan/tray, only a little foot long diffuser :cry:

Adam87

diesl
cupra

Cheers mate, yeah pretty bad state. Only half of it was actually there when I had a look otherwise I planned just to bodge it back together somehow.

May 30, 2002
Bedford (innit)
It has been talked about before suprsingly (the search is your best friend there!).

But it might also help with aerodynamics, but there are alot of cars about with them because they get damaged so easy, when I had mine I hit a massive coil spring in the road (which I couldn't avoid due to traffic)

jaybeee

[e]
Feb 24, 2006
Belfast
www.metalrhino.com
Are we talking about the one that attaches to the bumper and will cover up the secondary air pump amongst other bits?

If so, I some how lost mine this year and have thus far been fine without it. I was wondering if it's really necessary. I can see that it may help protect parts of the bottom of the engine bay, but if you're gonna smack something whilst driving it's going to rip straight through the plastic.

Adam87

Yeah that's the one Jay. That was my thinking too anyway, I hit this ratchet strap at 60/70mph and it ruined it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise