Uneven tyre wear

pete34a

Jan 9, 2009
Uneven tyre wear is a pretty common problem on the mk4. My TDISport130 is no exception - the inside edges of the front tyres are wearing faster than the rest of the tyre, despite having a 4 wheel alignment done when the tyres were fitted.

Should I switch the front tyres around to move the well-worn inside edges to the outside? Would this improve tyre life or will the part-worn tyres destroy the inside edges even more quickly?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Uneven tyre wear is a pretty common problem on the mk4. My TDISport130 is no exception - the inside edges of the front tyres are wearing faster than the rest of the tyre, despite having a 4 wheel alignment done when the tyres were fitted.

Should I switch the front tyres around to move the well-worn inside edges to the outside? Would this improve tyre life or will the part-worn tyres destroy the inside edges even more quickly?

Unless you have had the front wishbone rear bushes changed for the Cupra ones you are just wasting money on wheel alignment.

The standard bushes on the TDi130 sport are worse than crap and alow the alignment to move all over the place.

Yes you could swap the tyres over but make sure the edge on show is legal or you are asking for a ticket cos it's now easier to see.

pete34a

Jan 9, 2009
I replaced the bushes for Cupra items at the same time as fitting the tyres and doing the alignment, but they're still wearing unevenly.

There's about 4mm tread on the inside so not illegal. By switching the tyres in their part-worn state, it may end up putting more load on the inside edges and cause it to wear quickly. I'll get them switched and see how it goes.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I replaced the bushes for Cupra items at the same time as fitting the tyres and doing the alignment, but they're still wearing unevenly.

There's about 4mm tread on the inside so not illegal. By switching the tyres in their part-worn state, it may end up putting more load on the inside edges and cause it to wear quickly. I'll get them switched and see how it goes.

By switching the tyres you are only putting the same edge to the road as you would with new tyres so no extra load is going on to the inside of the tyres.

The next step is to find out what camber you have on the front of the car and try to get it down to around 0.5º negative per side.

First way to change camber is to have both subframes moved in as far as they will go on the bolts.
Next way is to have the wishbones slotted and bring the outer ball joint in to reduce camber.

Then get the alignment done again.

mr india

My ibiza fr has been lower 40mm just on springs thou and the tyres are wearin uneven aswel, shall I get a 4 wheel alignment or do I need to change the top mounts????

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.