Uneven tyre wear

Lees

Hi all,

Sorry to be a newbie and come straight on with a problem, I only found the forum while trying to find an answer.

I own a '57 Ibiza 1.9tdi FR, that is chewing tyres up on the front. The insides on both tyres are wearing at an alarming rate (a couple of mm in 3 months). This has happened on the Pirelli's and the Avons I put on.

I've had the four wheel alignment done twice where it was found to be only a degree out.

I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the camber?

I'm not too clued up mechanically so any advice before I visit a garage would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
how's it driven ?

and camber should be checked as part of a 4 wheel alignment or was it just tracking check ?

Lees

It's driven pretty normally to be honest. A few speedy dashes but nothing major. Short 5 mile trips to work and back and a least 1 decent run up the motorway a month.

I'm not sure what they checked on the tracking to be honest, had it done at the local Kwik Fit when I called in to get a puncture repair and they noticed the tyre wear.

I know they're probably a bad place to get the alignment checked but it wasn't planned at the time.

Aimez

very very common issues with the mk4 search uneven tyre wear and you will most likely get alott of thread results, apparently 4 wheel alignment can't be done on the ibiza, well the rears are not adjustable anyhow but the front can be. Try going to a place with better equipment may help you.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
The front suspension void bushes wear out and make the front wheels change angle under braking and steering. get the uprated none voided cupra bushes fitted and then get a 4 wheel laser alignment done.

There is a vid of the movement of a knackered bush vs an uprated one and it's amazing how much the wheel moves/pivots as the car goes around corners and brakes. :blink:

Do a search mate.

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
The front suspension void bushes wear out and make the front wheels change angle under braking and steering. get the uprated none voided cupra bushes fitted and then get a 4 wheel laser alignment done.

There is a vid of the movement of a knackered bush vs an uprated one and it's amazing how much the wheel moves/pivots as the car goes around corners and brakes. :blink:

Do a search mate.

The stiffer bushes wont help on this case....

I have those mounted and combined them with polyflex on the front end of the trailing arms.
Unless I need one set of new front tires per season...

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
I had the same problem a couple of months back and took it into my friendly tyre place. They on their special ramps with wobbly things the front wheels sit on and it was amazing the flex in the wheel caused by the knackered bush.

I took it to a near dealer that has just started up and they fanny'd about over it despite the tyre place speaking with them, so I phoned Westerham who said it was a common problem and they would have it in to do the fix below.

Lees

I had the same problem a couple of months back and took it into my friendly tyre place. They on their special ramps with wobbly things the front wheels sit on and it was amazing the flex in the wheel caused by the knackered bush.

I took it to a near dealer that has just started up and they fanny'd about over it despite the tyre place speaking with them, so I phoned Westerham who said it was a common problem and they would have it in to do the fix below.

Cheers mate, I'll get on to it asap.

Thanks for your help everybody.

Mal

If the car is still under warranty push them to do it.

Mine was just outside of warranty and the bushes and anti-roll bar needed doing. They were replaced with uprated ones (the bushes) from the cupra i believe.

SEAT UK denied the problem to me over the phone at the time. I put in a good will warranty claim as I had had ongoing problems with uneven tyre wear. Unsurprisingly I didn't get anywhere.

Apparently I haven't done enough posts so I can't post URL's but there is a pretty damning report from Warranty Direct

If you Google: 'seat ibiza warranty direct' , you'll find several articles.

Jist of it is the Ibiza came bottom of their supermini reliability survey with "nearly half (48%) of the SEAT Ibiza models covered by Warranty Direct recorded a fault. Almost 40% of those reported were suspension-related"

Not sure if anyone else has posted on the subject but I may later on.

Lees

Cheers everyone, had the uprated Cupra bushes fitted at the weekend.

When the mechanic called Seat for the parts the guy at Seat asked straight away if I was having trouble with tyre wear and then said that this fix should work.

Hopefully all fixed now.

Ta.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members