Uneven tyre wear

Irksome

Feb 27, 2011
Hi all - been running Dunlop Sportmaxx RT's on my 170 (with Bluefin) for a while now, rotating front to back whenever I needed a new pair (ie new tyres always go on the front).

Have just had the car serviced and its been pointed out to me that all 4 wheels are showing excessive wear on the outer quarter of each wheel - ie there is lots of meat (8mm +) left on the centre and inside of each tyre, but each tyre is now approaching 4mm on the outermost tread.

I keep pressures high, at 40psi all round as the car handles better with high pressures, and wouldn't have thought this could cause this sort of wear - any ideas (Front toe out?)

greg.r

Jun 9, 2014
High pressure shouldn't cause it.

You would expect it to be a camber adjustment, possibly worth taking it to a garage for wheel alignment.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Probably best to get the tracking/alignment checked. Sometimes these Exeo's are set up with Audi A4 B7 S line spec, but I've heard this is wrong and can cause uneven wear.

I pump mine up to maximum on the fuel cap, I agree it handles better but I haven't notice odd wear. If anywhere it would be across the centres.

Also you're supposed to but new tyres on the back! But of course personal preference. The idea of putting new on the back is down to extra grip; new on the front allows you to push on more than the rear could handle in worsening conditions, possibly resulting a spin, whereas new to the back allows you to only push on as much as the fronts will allow. You tube has some videos. However I concede it's most likely to only be a problem if you're letting your tyres run down real low.

Also stops you from having very old tyres on the rear (not in your case as you rotate).

Last edited:

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
ie there is lots of meat (8mm +) left on the centre and inside of each tyre, but each tyre is now approaching 4mm on the outermost tread.

Some tyres aren't produced with 8mm across the complete width when new, with some only having just over 5mm on the edges.

Also you're supposed to but new tyres on the back! But of course personal preference. The idea of putting new on the back is down to extra grip; new on the front allows you to push on more than the rear could handle in worsening conditions, possibly resulting a spin, whereas new to the back allows you to only push on as much as the fronts will allow. You tube has some videos. However I concede it's most likely to only be a problem if you're letting your tyres run down real low.

Not always advisable to fit new tires to the rear, as if a new budget is fitted to the rear with a nice grippy tyre to the front with less tread depth then things can get interesting, added to that for me, as the rears normally suffer more punchers than fronts I'd rather scrap a part worn than a new..

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.