Unhelpful postings on cupra.net

mikeholroyd

Over the last few months that I've used this forum, I've noticed more and more postings in reply to members' questions which are not only unhelpful, but sarcastic and downright nasty and offensive in tone, which can only serve to make the member asking the question feel an idiot for not knowing the answer himself.

For example, "This topic has been covered before. Do you not know how to search?" and "Of course it does. Are you blonde, or what?" were 2 replies from different topics posted within the last weeks in reponse to genuine questions or problems that members have asked. Another example was a few weeks ago when I asked for solutions to a problem on my Leon, and all I got was "You want to mod it, mate" No, MATE, I don't want to mod it, I want to sort a problem out.

My question is this -- WHY? Why post answers like this? You might as well simply not post anything at all! At least the original poster won't be offended by this!

It seems that some of the membership, especially in the Ibiza and Leon sections, are youngsters who have yet to grow up, have yet to learn the meaning of the words "respect" and "help" and are only interested in modifying their cars in a quest for more speed.

The majority of members, are normal people, with normal cars, with normal problems that need sorting out, and all they, and myself, ask is that if you can help, GREAT, (that's what a forum should be -- discussion) but don't try to belittle us by trying to make us look foolish by posting stuff that that offends or is deliberately, and nastily, not answering the questions asked.

Can we just get this forum back to its intended purpose? Please?

OK, rant over.

Mike

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Mike, Can I just point out that ANY threads that get out of hand are /can be/ will be moderated accordingly. (even this one) I dont mean that to sound heavy handed, but its a bit like the youngsters wanting to modify everything and the older ones not. there will always be some differences of opinions in a place as busy and as diverse as Cupranet. please, dont feel offended if someone says something you dont like on/in a thread, just let it ride over you as invariably these things are said with no malice intended, unless its highly personal/offensive etc. then please, use the 'report post' icon to flag it to a moderator and we can look at the thread /post in question and act accordingly.

hope that appeases your thoughts somewhat

Cheers,

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I agree with the bulk of what you say. However for us 'technical' people who answer questions where we can do get a bit tired of seeing the same questions come up time and time again when we go into quite in depth answers when a search would have saved some time and saved creating another thread.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
The idea of the forum is that people can help each other. Sometimes it's necessary to help people to help you.

Form the FAQs...
Search Tips
The forum has been active since 2001, and as such a forum this large has a vast number of re-posts. A great deal of this information can be overlooked by New Users. We politely encourage users to lookup the information that is freely available to find if you simply use the search functions - Click here for Search functions

Be specific and enter lots of keywords, also narrow your search field by searching only specific forum sections. For example if its a Leon specific query, set the search engine to only search in the Leon forums. The more information you give the search engine the more chance it has of finding something from the database that answers your question.

Many common questions, such as dump valves (whooshy), chip tuning (remaps) have been discussed in great length many times before. If you have searched and can either not find what your looking for or have more questions relating to the subject that may not of been answered. Then by all means start a new thread in a relevant section. If the subject is already covered in an existing thread then please add to the existing subject rather than starting a new thread.

Quite frankly, there are some topics that have been covered here ad naseum. What concerns me a little is that people make no effort to search and start up yet another thread. Longer term members are that jaded from seeing the same thing come up that they don't read the thread. Then - the thread is answered by relatively new members and misinformation is posted. The more such threads that get posted, the harder it becomes to search to get the right answer.

So, the odd 'haven't you searched, this has been covered before' is understandable. But overall, people DO try to help. :)

Edit: I wholeheartedly agree with what Techie said.

Last edited:

mikeholroyd

I agree with the bulk of what you say. However for us 'technical' people who answer questions where we can do get a bit tired of seeing the same questions come up time and time again when we go into quite in depth answers when a search would have saved some time and saved creating another thread.

This situation could illustrate exactly the point I'm trying to make.
If someone asks a question that has been answered before, often in depth, then a simple link to these threads would be far more useful that a post saying "Don't you know how to search" Answers like that don't achieve anything.

I understand what both yourself and Brummy say, but comments made can and and often do offend, and this trend on cupra.net is very noticable when using other motoring forums as well on a regular basis.

Mike

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I simple link would be helpfull agreed, but then that means someone else has to do the search, copy the url and then put it in the post, do you not think they were helpfull enough inthe first place?

Playing devils advocate here so dont think im causing an arguement.

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
I understand what both yourself and Brummy say, but comments made can and and often do offend, and this trend on cupra.net is very noticable when using other motoring forums as well on a regular basis.

Mike

Mike on the whole this forum is fairly easy reading in comparison to some sites, (I guess it all depends on what sites you use and what the relevant admin/moderators are at liberty to police) some of the sites Ive used in the past wouldrip you to shreds and call you for every profanity in the book and then some for posting a thread like this.

As siad, if something is causing you concern in an offensive way, report it and we will see what if anything can be done.

Cheers,

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Some replies have been that bad and blunt i have deleted em in the past and agree it serves no purpose so if you can't say anything nice then say nothing at all. In fact the time spent being sarcastic would be better spent linking up a serach page anyway

If it's so mudane to have been covered 101 times already to be of an interest then walk on by.

With so many colours,creed's,nationals, mood swing's and weather on top of the different car's and time zone's it's not surprising to see some cultural differences arising now and then.

As always if there is anything you come across that you consider unsuitable or unhelpful feel free to use the report post function
report.gif
and it will be bought to the admin's attention along with your own explanation and will be dealt with accordingly.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
It seems that some of the membership, especially in the Ibiza and Leon sections, are youngsters who have yet to grow up, have yet to learn the meaning of the words "respect" and "help" and are only interested in modifying their cars in a quest for more speed.

Well.......now that is generalistic, i think the correct answers to your question have already been voiced and that techie hit the nail on the head whether this is acceptable to yourself or not.

I also notice that you had a problem with your door lock thread, which does seem quite a sarcastic reply in response to a thread that was removed because it breached forum rules? Now i know everyone doesnt read these, but it does answer a lot of questions, PM's etc etc

I would say that 99% of the time comments raised by members are NEVER intended to cause offence and are purely sarcasm, as once you've been here for a little while longer you will also see the same problems/threads being raised and also experience re-posting a reply whether this be a link or explanation quite a few times.

I think one example of such a thread, would be the door seals on a leon!

Without sounding patronising fella, and judging by your reply in the "Boot wont open thread" about another members comments i think you just need to relax a little and please continue to enjoy the forum however you wish, whether this be an information resource or social experience. We're all a friendly bunch and we WILL help on every occasion possible, its a pretty big community now and there will be some 'characters' with which comments needed to be taken with a pinch of salt and of course "keyboard warriors" will appear from time to time, but again as mentioned, thats what the mods are for!

Enjoy [B)]

Jimski

Last edited:

EmDee

Omnishambolic
i find this forum really helpful and friendly, I use many different forums and this is my favourite.

I have to say it winds me up when people don't search before posting - it's like thinking before opening your mouth!

i have seen a decline in forum conduct, but it's inevitable as the newer, faster SEATs become more affordable and generation Y start growing up, so long as they don't answer in txt spk i don't get wound up.

Gen-Y.jpg

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I think he spat the dummy in the boot lock thread also. I am also wondering which postings he took offence to? Was it Lee's or my reply?.

Anyone starting a line 'I'm not being funny' is just about to be so.

Hi Mike :duck:

4937Liam

Jan 12, 2010
Lakenheath, Suffolk.
I personally find the search button one of if not the most useful thing on any forum.
I was on 106owners for three years before buying a Seat and registering on here and
so far using the search button has helped answer virtually every question ive had so far.
This is generally why my post count is so low too.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
As a regular user of the Arosa section I pet a little weary of the people that post questions regarding engine transplants. These are often subject to some quite obscure answers as there are members who have large threads they spend alot of time updating and detailing what modifications they have done on their engines. It just seems a little unappreciative of members effort to feedback details, for others to post a quick question without reading through these threads to get a more detailed answer.

In general most of the more common questions as previously mentioned above, have often been answered in detail by other people and the search is an excellent way of narrowing things down. Those that are of particular use are often attached to sections as a 'sticky'.

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
Ignore them, enjoy the forum.

Many sides to this. Yes the sarcasm isn't required. This forums aim is to bring people together to communicate their knowledge and experiences, to voice opinions, but it's best to have opinions about the cars and not to get personal. Some people work hard on giving us information and knowledge about what they have done and how to do it. I understand when they get frustrated that people haven't searched for a problem or topic, some people new to forums overlook the search tool. It is a bit of hassle supplying links to other threads in new threads.

I employ a simple rule KISS. Keep it simple stupid, yeah some people will get sarcy, ignore it, it's not worth it. Search, if no joy then post a thread. We have many personalities and characters on this forum, see through it, the forum is great, I've got some great knowledge and met some good people on here and managed to improve my car.

Ignore the daft comments and enjoy the forum mate.

ED

hoggy90

Full time sexaholic
Nov 14, 2009
Scotland
sorry mate not a fair post in my opinion...your being rather ageist if you ask me as i have been on this site for a month now and if i have asked a question that has recieved a sarcastic answer,or have seen someone else ask a question, it has an older member who has said it....dont get me wrong i know some younger guys may be cheeky and disrespectful due to their age, but do not label all the young guys sarcastic,unhelpful and basically chavs....rant over ;)

westallc

Jan 25, 2009
nearly as bad as mechanics who dont do the job properly in the first place hey techie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
I think he spat the dummy in the boot lock thread also. I am also wondering which postings he took offence to? Was it Lee's or my reply?.

Anyone starting a line 'I'm not being funny' is just about to be so.

Hi Mike :duck:

I'm not being funny, but it must have been yours ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members