UniSettings - Exhaust Pops On Overrun

Pyro

Can someone explain the wot box I've just moved and don't have the Internet just my phone ATM witch won't load vids :cry:

Tuck3r

Aug 31, 2010
R.C.T.
Description

The WOT Box adds two major features to any car. They are No-lift shifting and 2-step launch control. Both of these features are completely user-programmable using the WOT Box Graphical User Interface.

The No-Lift Shift feature makes no-lift shifting easy by cutting your engine's ignition for a very short period while you no-lift shift. No-lift shifting is keeping the gas down through the shifft. The ignition cut allows the synchros in your transmission to mesh easily, reducing the chance of missing a gear and damaging your transmission. Keeping your foot down through the shift also allows you to hold boost through the shift, thereby significantly improving your E.T.

The major benefits are:

* Lower ETs
* Reduced chance of missing a gear
* More consistent, effortless shifts
* Reduced wear on the transmission
* Reduced chance of major transmission damage

The 2-Step Launch Control modulates the ignition by cutting power to individual ignition coils to hold the RPM you want to launch at. The turbo will spool up while you do this. You can use this feature for a more consistent and more powerful launch in boost!

Taken from http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox

So basically you dont have to take your foot off the loud pedal when changing gear, and lauch control.

Last edited:

Klone

Aug 24, 2010
Clacton On Sea
For the car to pop on overrun it needs more fuel...playing with channel 03 will increase it but do it 1% at a time....

Also wotbox is for people who want some serious bangs...

i cant get it to hold in the ecu.. the software won't safe it or it does and when you rescan it doesnt hold the settings.

EddC

Jun 11, 2010
Speaking of launch control, can you get that on a stage 2 remap? Sorry if this is a noob question

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Basically mate ive been doing some research into this and what ive found is the type/design of the turbocharger and manifold on these vehicles. From cars that ive heard pop constantly, vxr, mini cooper s turbo, st etc the turbo is placed in the middle of the exhaust manifold which in turn aids the gas flow and pulse in the manifold (equal) which allows a larger overlap of the inlet and exhaust valves, the manifold on the lcr is so restritive and also the fact it isnt of equal length. The diffrent designs of the manifolds/turbo has an effect on the timing that can be run on the engine and fueling. A peice of one of the sites ive read is The trapped and wasted kinetic exhaust gas energy from poor scavenging and too much reversion also means higher combustion and exhaust gas temperatures, necessitating less aggressive ignition timing and reduced valve overlap.

The agressive fueling/timing along with overlap on the vxr etc allows the pop cold or hot and basically all the remus does is amplify the pops, nothing more nothing less also stuff like the cooper s and st run twin scroll turbos, and not too sure about the vxr but possibly. Dont get me wrong an lcr will bang, but not the same as a vxr and not as often if you played with timing and fueling on lcr then you will/may get them but to be honest best left alone. My maf has gone atm and its running sooo rich but if u keep blipping throttle it will throw a pop like a vxr but isnt healty for it.

Mastodon2

Feb 26, 2011
Newcastle
My Cupra R has a Miltek exhaust and does not bang (yet) though I have not really leaned on it for a sustained time. Even once the car has been driving a while and is fully up to temperature, I have not heard a bang on lifting off the throttle. Full cat is still in place though, and thats not changing. It does little double and triple pops on a closing throttle when you are revving it though, sounds awesome, but it's not like a rally car bang.

The best way to get that rally car noise is with anti-lag software mapping, and no cat and a straight through exhaust. It will destroy a cat quickly, and a normal exhaust would not last long with antilag used in anger, and the turbo won't like it. Most people who have it installed on their cars tend to save it for car shows and the occasional bout of showing off. It sounds great but the wear on the car will be very costly, and your neighbours will want to murder you every time you get in your pride and joy!

Mastodon2

Feb 26, 2011
Newcastle
Can this be done with any stage 1 map etc....????

I'm not that clued up on mapping Leons, but I'd imagine you could map any turbo car to do it. It works by retarding the ignition on a closing throttle severely, so that a rich fuel/air mix enters the exhaust system, when is then ignited as it is exiting the car, the result of the explosion driving the turbo hard and keeping it spinning near maximum boost even when the throttle is not wide open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTAPpsL2xOU

Sounds like that. Any car with a turbo can be programed to do it I believe, with some mapping and possibly a little bit of plumbing (the Toyota Celica GT3 ST205 WRC edition had redundant pipework on the turbo system that could be used to plumb in the antilag system that the rally car used) but like I say, it's not good for your car!

JamJay

California Bound
Basically mate ive been doing some research into this and what ive found is the type/design of the turbocharger and manifold on these vehicles. From cars that ive heard pop constantly, vxr, mini cooper s turbo, st etc the turbo is placed in the middle of the exhaust manifold which in turn aids the gas flow and pulse in the manifold (equal) which allows a larger overlap of the inlet and exhaust valves, the manifold on the lcr is so restritive and also the fact it isnt of equal length. The diffrent designs of the manifolds/turbo has an effect on the timing that can be run on the engine and fueling. A peice of one of the sites ive read is The trapped and wasted kinetic exhaust gas energy from poor scavenging and too much reversion also means higher combustion and exhaust gas temperatures, necessitating less aggressive ignition timing and reduced valve overlap.

The agressive fueling/timing along with overlap on the vxr etc allows the pop cold or hot and basically all the remus does is amplify the pops, nothing more nothing less also stuff like the cooper s and st run twin scroll turbos, and not too sure about the vxr but possibly. Dont get me wrong an lcr will bang, but not the same as a vxr and not as often if you played with timing and fueling on lcr then you will/may get them but to be honest best left alone. My maf has gone atm and its running sooo rich but if u keep blipping throttle it will throw a pop like a vxr but isnt healty for it.

Thanks for this, some great info and something that I hadn't considered at all. Funnily enough I had a run in with a VXR (Remus) over the weekend and got to witness the pops first hand, every gear change and pop. Sound wise it's akin to an LCR with TB exhaust except we don't get the pops. I've been researching several cat-back setups lately and there are a few which give the sound although not guaranteed like the VXR, when that changes gear you know it will pop where as the LCR will randomly backfire. The best systems I have found so far are Magnex, Custom with small rear silencer (my forthcoming setup) & Piper. I'll report back once I've had everything fitted and bedded in but I fear that the manifold might be the issue as you say then, in which case I need to look more seriously into the JBS K04 cast manifold...coupled with a hybrid K04 I would imagine...that or GT2860.

Hullcupra225

Aug 21, 2010
Hull/Howden East Yorks
I currently have a custom cat back with decat on my LCR, It pops quite a lot in first and second, just not very loud, the backbox is quite big though, now that I have been given a company car and my LCR is not my everyday driver I will be going back and getting a smaller backbox, hopefully this will help!!